Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #4,847 of 18,765
Quote:

I have to fess up to being another ED8 design non-fanboy. I would add a certain few specifics to qualify the statement ... with me it was (1) their design was a bad shape for my ears, (2) their aesthetic design is drop-dead gorgeous, but their sound ain't up to the same standard, and (3) their design had a number of mini drawbacks/quirks: mine had right side imbalance (something I read seems to be a common quality issue), the cables are incredibly cheap looking next to the rest of the components, and there's the cheap tacky box.

Apart from that, they do have some good points ... the fact I was able to return them and get my money back. Hahahaha. Sorry, I sound bitter ... and I guess I am as I really wanted to like the ED8s more and felt badly let down when I put a bit of thought into the ED8 cost/benefit analysis.

I think the TH-900 stands in stark contrast to the Ultrasone, proving that you can have both great design, and great sound, both of which come together so customers feel the price is, ahem, we always want to pay less, but at least we feel there is a general sense that the headphone is worth the money ... in every criteria, not just asthetics.

#EndRant

I totally agree, the sound of them didn't impress me at all. I had them for a brief time and I don't miss them at all. They are inferior to the TH-900 in every aspect. Design (looks) they are one of the best looking headphones, IMO. That was all I was referring to. Still a headphone needs to have the entire package for me, and the pros need to outweigh the cons. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #4,848 of 18,765
Quote:

Fascinating! Would you have a view of them relative to the HD800s? Thanks

Hard question, but I would characterize the Fostex as more complex than the Sennheisers. I think that the HD-800's are very smooth and the TH900's are more rich. That probably is nonsensical as I don't really know how to describe sound. But I guess that there is just more going on with the TH900's. The stereo separation, to my ears, is equal or maybe a bit more precise in placement in the sound field of the HD900's. They are both great but I am sure that if I had to make a choice between the two, I would pick the TH900's. I never thought I would say that, as the HD-800's are such fantastic headphones. It might be different with other amps/DACs/sources. Just my subjective opinion.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,849 of 18,765
Quote:

Hard question, but I would characterize the Fostex as more complex than the Sennheisers. I think that the HD-800's are very smooth and the TH900's are more rich. That probably is nonsensical as I don't really know how to describe sound. But I guess that there is just more going on with the TH900's. The stereo separation, to my ears, is equal or maybe a bit more precise in placement in the sound field of the HD900's. They are both great but I am sure that if I had to make a choice between the two, I would pick the TH900's. I never thought I would say that, as the HD-800's are such fantastic headphones. It might be different with other amps/DACs/sources. Just my subjective opinion.

eek.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,851 of 18,765
Quote:
Nooooo!!! He's revealed the top secret Sennheiser HD900. Crap this thread is going be locked up and cleaned now.

Oh crap! I wasn't supposed to discuss the HD900's in a public forum. :)

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #4,853 of 18,765
Quote:
I have read some really positive reviews of the GS-X mk2 pairing. Strangely enough it is not a warm amp so I am guessing it is the source they were using? Irrespective, I really want to do a shoot-out with the ZDSE (with balanced input) and the GS-X mk2.

I like the pairing I listen to it ever day it's natural and transparent,  but the GS-X mk2 sounds very good with just about anything you plug into it......... However I do agree with you, warm is better this is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the Master 7, not that it isn't a great dac it is, but I feel I will enjoy something a little bit warmer

So the search continues........

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #4,854 of 18,765
Quote:
I have read some really positive reviews of the GS-X mk2 pairing. Strangely enough it is not a warm amp so I am guessing it is the source they were using? Irrespective, I really want to do a shoot-out with the ZDSE (with balanced input) and the GS-X mk2.

Think of the GS-X as a window to your headphones and other components. More "wire-with-gain" and zero colouration. 
size]

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #4,857 of 18,765
After one more day of burn-in, I don't know whether it is physically or psychologically. Somehow it sounds quite a bit more enjoyable than my impression out of the box...

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #4,858 of 18,765
I like the pairing I listen to it ever day it's natural and transparent,  but the GS-X mk2 sounds very good with just about anything you plug into it......... However I do agree with you, warm is better this is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the Master 7, not that it isn't a great dac it is, but I feel I will enjoy something a little bit warmer

So the search continues........
Metrum hex? SA-2? PWD mkII?

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #4,859 of 18,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back