Fostex TH900 MkII
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #1,411 of 1,501
Those who use them with Ori pads, do you also use Dekoni Attenuation rings? I tried the rings, but they are too difficult to place inside and spin to wrong places very easily.
When I first got my TH900’s, I almost immediately put Ori pads/ attenuation rings on. I was concerned about the hot treble mentioned by many reviews, and they immediately sounded bright coming from my Atticus, D7200’s. I did not have any issues installing the rings- you should be pinching the ring to the pad (index finger + thumb) as you lock it into place.

Fast forward a month or so later, I decided to A-B the stock pads. There really is no competition; the anemic donut stock pads are what make this headphone shine. In my experience, all other pads reduce the resolution, clarity, treble energy, and massive soundstage that makes the TH900 a masterpiece. I will mention Eikon solid Lambskin pads jacked up the mid-bass to a basshead wet dream level, but muffled the remaining frequencies.

Pads I tried with and without attenuation rings (all solid leather):

-Ori Lambskin
-Eikon Lambskin
-D7200 stock Sheepskin
-D7000 stock leather
-Dekoni Elite Sheepskin
-Drop TR-X00 stock leather
-E-MU Teak stock leather
-Brainwaves XL leather

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,412 of 1,501
When I first got my TH900’s, I almost immediately put Ori pads/ attenuation rings on. I was concerned about the hot treble mentioned by many reviews, and they immediately sounded bright coming from my Atticus, D7200’s. I did not have any issues installing the rings- you should be pinching the ring to the pad (index finger + thumb) as you lock it into place.

Fast forward a month or so later, I decided to A-B the stock pads. There really is no competition; the anemic donut stock pads are what make this headphone shine. In my experience, all other pads reduce the resolution, clarity, treble energy, and massive soundstage that makes the TH900 a masterpiece. I will mention Eikon solid Lambskin pads jacked up the mid-bass to a basshead wet dream level, but muffled the remaining frequencies.

Pads I tried with and without attenuation rings (all solid leather):

-Ori Lambskin
-Eikon Lambskin
-D7200 stock Sheepskin
-D7000 stock leather
-Dekoni Elite Sheepskin
-Drop TR-X00 stock leather
-E-MU Teak stock leather
-Brainwaves XL leather
While I can’t speak to pad rolling, I can say I find the headphone incredibly comfortable with the stock pads. I find them to be of high quality and feel the integrated whole of the headphone is very well thought out. Even on the Pearl White the treble can be a bit much, but I will mitigate that with my Corda Soul and Arctic Magnus when it arrives.

It is an incredible headphone full of liveliness and energy with incredible musicality. It is so fast. And is definitely more of a leading edge headphone whereas I find the AC to be more trailing edge as I a/b the two.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #1,413 of 1,501
While I can’t speak to pad rolling, I can say I find the headphone incredibly comfortable with the stock pads. I find them to be of high quality and feel the integrated whole of the headphone is very well thought out. Even on the Pearl White the treble can be a bit much, but I will mitigate that with my Corda Soul and Arctic Magnus when it arrives.

It is an incredible headphone full of liveliness and energy with incredible musicality. It is so fast. And is definitely more of a leading edge headphone whereas I find the AC to be more trailing edge as I a/b the two.
If the treble is still too much for you, I would suggest amp/DAC rolling.

I found an excellent match with a Pathos Aurium/ Ares II setup. Budget option: Denon DA-310USB—Burr Brown DAC chips easily add warmth and smoothness.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,414 of 1,501
If the treble is still too much for you, I would suggest amp/DAC rolling.

I found an excellent match with a Pathos Aurium/ Ares II setup. Budget option: Denon DA-310USB—Burr Brown DAC chips easily add warmth and smoothness.
I used to own the Aurium. Such a great amp. Punches way above its price point. Fully vertically integrated company making incredible sounding products. I used to own the Pontus II as well. But, I haven't heard the Ares II. My DAC is pretty sibilant free, but my amps are all chalk full of top end resolution. Because I only have a 1/4" cable right now I can't use all of my DAC/Amps. However, I will be able to when the XLR cable I ordered arrives.

The treble isn't too much, I just find it to be an extremely aggressive sounding headphone. It has no grain or hash, and is super clean. It isn't a laid back listen, which I like about it very much. I am confident the changes coming will get me exactly where I want without having to EQ them. I don't want to EQ them and change their natural character. I have bad ears from my childhood and certain tones hurt me. I don't tend to love overly warm headphones either, and I love an extended treble with lots of air and resolution. As long as it isn't super peaky my ears do well.

I appreciate the advice. I wish I still had my Aurium. It is one of very few pieces of equipment that I have moved on the merry go round that I regret selling. I have a wonderful SET tube amp, but I miss the Aurium. It is such a great amp. I might have to find one in the classified and snatch one up the next time I see one. They generally sell for reasonable amounts. They just get snatched up quickly because it is such a great amp.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,415 of 1,501
The Mojo2 Fostex TH900 combo has really ruined listening on my Harmon Kardon BMW stereo, haha:sweat_smile:. Am used to listening on Shure SHA900 Fostex combo on lunch break, then getting in my car and finding equal pleasure. Not anymore. Was listening to a Sevendust album with M2 Fostex then drove. Soundstage and resolution collapse was obvious in comparison. Wow. This level of hifi is end game in this price range. $2400 CANNOT, and i mean cannot, buy you better sound quality than this.
And the EQ’s ability to deal with moderately heavy adjustments without compromising soundstage, dimensionality, and resolution is absolutely icing on the cake. I’m am hearing old rock albums that need help in a way now that I’ve only come close to on my big rig. And it’s WONDERFUL!
Pulled my above post over from Chord Mojo 2 thread, as i felt it was worthwhile having this here as well. If anyone here wants my impressions further on this combo, please look at that thread, pages 506 to end.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,416 of 1,501
The Mojo2 Fostex TH900 combo has really ruined listening on my Harmon Kardon BMW stereo, haha:sweat_smile:. Am used to listening on Shure SHA900 Fostex combo on lunch break, then getting in my car and finding equal pleasure. Not anymore. Was listening to a Sevendust album with M2 Fostex then drove. Soundstage and resolution collapse was obvious in comparison. Wow. This level of hifi is end game in this price range. $2400 CANNOT, and i mean cannot, buy you better sound quality than this.
And the EQ’s ability to deal with moderately heavy adjustments without compromising soundstage, dimensionality, and resolution is absolutely icing on the cake. I’m am hearing old rock albums that need help in a way now that I’ve only come close to on my big rig. And it’s WONDERFUL!
Pulled my above post over from Chord Mojo 2 thread, as i felt it was worthwhile having this here as well. If anyone here wants my impressions further on this combo, please look at that thread, pages 506 to end.
The EQ on the Chord M2 is 104 bit LOSSLESS. It’s unbelievably good and i consider it indeed as such and not overstated. Better than any plug in, better than Roon, better than Auralic. I’ve heard tons and tons of EQ’s and consider it untouchable in the digital realm.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,417 of 1,501
The EQ on the Chord M2 is 104 bit LOSSLESS. It’s unbelievably good and i consider it indeed as such and not overstated. Better than any plug in, better than Roon, better than Auralic. I’ve heard tons and tons of EQ’s and consider it untouchable in the digital realm.
Oh, even better that Neutron as well.

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,418 of 1,501
EQ is always better in the digital domain. My Meier Corda Soul does the same. I am not typically a big fan of EQ. Especially if I need to mess with something more than 3-4 db. If I do, it isn’t the right headphone for me. The Soul’s tone controls also exist in the digital domain and only allow you to move things by up to 4db either direction which is more than enough.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #1,419 of 1,501
EQ is always better in the digital domain. My Meier Corda Soul does the same. I am not typically a big fan of EQ. Especially if I need to mess with something more than 3-4 db. If I do, it isn’t the right headphone for me. The Soul’s tone controls also exist in the digital domain and only allow you to move things by up to 4db either direction which is more than enough.
You obviously haven’t played around with what I have. It’s hard to find but there’s some analog studio grade hardware EQ that would knock your socks off. You just haven’t heard it, so you don’t know. And analog is always more high fidelity than digital…until Mojo 2. Try it and you’ll see what I mean. I have $2700 studio grade analog PEQ connected to my Bryston B135 amp with 1000 dollar Cardas interconnects and I guarantee you any preconception on how this sounds is dead wrong. It’s amazing. Anyway, I was writing about new digital tech that’s first of its kind. Listen before you judge. You would be surprised I think.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,420 of 1,501
You obviously haven’t played around with what I have. It’s hard to find but there’s some analog studio grade hardware EQ that would knock your socks off. You just haven’t heard it, so you don’t know. And analog is always more high fidelity than digital…until Mojo 2. Try it and you’ll see what I mean. I have $2700 studio grade analog PEQ connected to my Bryston B135 amp with 1000 dollar Cardas interconnects and I guarantee you any preconception on how this sounds is dead wrong. It’s amazing. Anyway, I was writing about new digital tech that’s first of its kind. Listen before you judge. You would be surprised I think.
With my home rig described above, I put an 8 db boost to the treble and a smaller but significant boost to the bass on a flat dull recording and every single person I’ve a-b’d with this recording preferred the EQ and wowed over its fidelity. Every single person. Don’t judge til you try!

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #1,421 of 1,501
I am not judging. I simply don't believe that I should have to EQ something that much. I'd rather find headphones that fit my preferences without that much EQ. It just isn't my preference for listening. Just one opinion. You do you... I'll do me.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,422 of 1,501
I am not judging. I simply don't believe that I should have to EQ something that much. I'd rather find headphones that fit my preferences without that much EQ. It just isn't my preference for listening. Just one opinion. You do you... I'll do me.
Anyway, eqd or not, Fostex mojo 2 is a great combo

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #1,423 of 1,501
That I bet to be very true. I’m glad you like it. I was simply stating that the Corda Soul exists in the digital domain as well just as you said of the Mojo 2. I was agreeing with you not fighting with you.

If by chance I misunderstood your comments, my mistake. But I wasn’t being contrary.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #1,424 of 1,501
Whether to EQ or not in my mind has totally to do with the recording and not equipment. On great equipment like most of us own, you’d never wanna eq an excellent recording. But no matter how good the equipment is, IN MY OPINION (for what it’s worth), average or worse rock recordings almost always benefit from high fidelity eq. And yes, there is such a thing, as I’ve previously described. My belief is that as eq technology improves (and it certainly is, eg mojo 2), people will more and more want to tweak based on the recording, because the eq that they’re using is lossless in terms of fidelity. Ease of use likely being important here too. Just my 2 cents! To each their own. I get gratification knowing i can “remaster” an average or worse recording to make it sound better.

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #1,425 of 1,501
That I bet to be very true. I’m glad you like it. I will simply stating that the Corda Soul exists in the digital domain as well just as you said of the Mojo 2. I was agreeing with you not fighting with you.

If by chance I misunderstood your comments, my mistake. But I wasn’t being contrary.
I know i haven’t heard Corda Soul eq, so it’s not fair i say Mojo 2 is better. But…I’ve listened to tons of reputatbaly best digital eq’s out there and have been disappointed by all of them to one degree or another. Phase effects smearing 3d soundstage primarily. And digital artifacts introduced. But this Mojo 2 is doesn’t do any of that. I have never heard that in a digital eq before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back