Fostex TH909 Announcement
Sep 10, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #36 of 217
Seems to available on September in Europe, stock info on German web shop was following: available soon, Delivery date: Sep 23, 2018.

Are there any measurements available of these cans?

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #37 of 217
Seems to available on September in Europe, stock info on German web shop was following: available soon, Delivery date: Sep 23, 2018.

Are there any measurements available of these cans?
i doubt it at this stage

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #39 of 217
If these can tame the treble it's an insta-buy for me. Sold my TH900's because i just couldn't keep them on my head for more than 45-60 mins without getting fatigued. The bass is just addictive :)

Might sound odd, but take a look at Dekoni replacement pads for the TH900. The film between the driver and your ears on the Dekoni are a little thicker/different material than the OEMs. I personally find them to cut the treble to a very tolerable level, but be careful depending on the variation of pads they do alter the sound a bit.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #40 of 217
Might sound odd, but take a look at Dekoni replacement pads for the TH900. The film between the driver and your ears on the Dekoni are a little thicker/different material than the OEMs. I personally find them to cut the treble to a very tolerable level, but be careful depending on the variation of pads they do alter the sound a bit.
Can you link the exact pads please? :)

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #41 of 217
Can you link the exact pads please? :)

Coincidentally, they're more than half off on Massdrop right now.

I like the TH900 Hybrid pads the best: lambskin exterior provides the seal for bass, fenestrated on the inside to keep the soundstage nice and wide, and then the fabric for comfort on your skin. But they do all sound a little different, so what I like might not be what you like. That said, pad rolling I found to be a fun and very rewarding (read: effects are immediately apparent) aspect of the hobby.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #42 of 217
Coincidentally, they're more than half off on Massdrop right now.

I like the TH900 Hybrid pads the best: lambskin exterior provides the seal for bass, fenestrated on the inside to keep the soundstage nice and wide, and then the fabric for comfort on your skin. But they do all sound a little different, so what I like might not be what you like. That said, pad rolling I found to be a fun and very rewarding (read: effects are immediately apparent) aspect of the hobby.
TH900 elite hybrid pads are 20+ the base of 35. So it's coming out to $55. Worth?

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #43 of 217

+1 on the Dekoni's

TH900 elite hybrid pads are 20+ the base of 35. So it's coming out to $55. Worth?

Absolutely, I use the Fenestrated sheepskins on both my TH-600's and HE-500. Excellent comfort, very neutral sounding pads that retain the bass impact, cool the treble without removing the airyness and increase soundstage. Highly recommended. (FYI I paid more than the Massdrop price for my pairs)

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #44 of 217
PDF says to increase the sound field. I knew there was a reason headphones were open. For the open sound feel, and also to get rid of the cup resonance, which the PDF states as well. In terms of sound, it seems like basically they made it into more of an open-back.

Although, Fostex headphones are referred to as semi-open, they are still cupped, and not really open, which is the reason why the bass sounds the way it does. I have the TH-X00 Ebony, and I can't complain about the cupped bass (I actually prefer the cupped bass sound of them over open-back bass). I think imaging, soundstage, and low-bass is the real trade-off between open and closed.

I think Fostex bass is to be experienced (it is distinctive enough to warrant a hear, and may change perspective on headphone bass). I didn't really take bass as significant consideration until I heard a Fostex.

I don't know if it's possible to have a headphone with such bass quality that is very open sounding. Now, that would be an engineering feat!

Pioneer SE Master 1 has it. I've owned the TH900, own the Denon LA7000 currently and agree the bass is amazing on these. Am interested in trying the 909 but for real the Pioneer has incredible bass and is open back. By the way, my HE-400, with many mods and running from a vintage amp direct from the taps has unbelievable bass and very good soundstage.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #45 of 217
Just sampled at RMAF. It looks closed but is definitely open. I can hear everything around me. The bass is strong and detailed and reminds me of the Abyss AB-1266. If you have heard the Abyss AB-1266, you know that the mid and treble are also detailed and this seems true of the TH909 as well. Here's the kicker: LOW IMPEDANCE! I plugged into my ifi xDSD and heard thunderous detail at mid gain settings. I'm sure the headphone output of my cell phone will drive it but presume that detail would be lost as well. A beauty like the TH909 deserves to be driven with a better dac and amp. Anyway, RMAF is a noisy setting so I'll need to purchase before I can form a better opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back