Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #3,526 of 12,089

You must be talking about the D7K because these are the D5k.... (maybe the one I did hold in my hands were super worn out but it looked flat and meh)

Probably depends on your feeling about gloss finishes and light vs dark finishes.  I really like the more satin/darker finish of the old Denon line.  The wood on the D5K and THX00 is the same, I think.  The old Denon finish was much more resistant to nicks, bumps and bruises though, that's for certain.  I already have one minor nick discoloration on my THX00 because it fell literally two inches.  My D7K was completely blemish free after multiple years of heavy use.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,527 of 12,089

Quote:

You must be talking about the D7K because these are the D5k.... (maybe the one I did hold in my hands were super worn out but it looked flat and meh)

When I put the two side by side, I prefer my Denon.   YMMV though...and it's not like the Denon obliterates the THX00...but I think the combination of metallic silver and wood is so sexy.

yes, D7K is up there for most beautiful headphones of all-time, IMHO.

Yeap...I also think the D7000 is the most beautiful headphone ever made.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,528 of 12,089
  Probably depends on your feeling about gloss finishes and light vs dark finishes.  I really like the more satin/darker finish of the old Denon line.  The wood on the D5K and THX00 is the same, I think.  The old Denon finish was much more resistant to nicks, bumps and bruises though, that's for certain.  I already have one minor nick discoloration on my THX00 because it fell literally two inches.  My D7K was completely blemish free after multiple years of heavy use.

Yea for my taste I prefer the gloss finish over satin finish. I also prefer a lighter wood color but a dark wood can look stunning as well (with gloss :)

When I put the two side by side, I prefer my Denon.   YMMV though...and it's not like the Denon obliterates the THX00...but I think the combination of metallic silver and wood is so sexy.

Yeap...I also think the D7000 is the most beautiful headphone ever made.

Yup, quite the opposite for me. The black on light wood does it much better for me than silver and satin brown.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3,529 of 12,089

Yup, quite the opposite for me. The black on light wood does it much better for me than silver and satin brown.

What I think would be even sexier than the D7000 is a Fostex with wood cups done in a black piano finish.   Imagine a TH600 with glossy black wood cups. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #3,530 of 12,089

What I think would be even sexier than the D7000 is a Fostex with wood cups done in a black piano finish.   Imagine a TH600 with glossy black wood cups. 

I want a koa finish with a satin oil rub finish.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #3,532 of 12,089

Yes...even a D5000 stock wins. 

wink.gif

Have you held one in your hand?   B E A U T I F U L

Being an owner of both, I personally prefer the wood grain and gloss finish of the X00.  I also find the plastic silver finish of the D5000 to look cheap and tacky.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,533 of 12,089
I could go for that look!

Anyone know what Sony used on the legendary R10? What really matters is the sound of course.

MDR R10 was Keyaki/Zelkova wood, which is apparently only grown in Japan and a small part of Russia.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,534 of 12,089
So I ordered the alpha pads. And they shipped today with a weird usps tracking number starting with 0004. I'm on the east coast. I wonder how long they will take to get from Cali

:edit: to update I am asking how long it would take and this is also for previous posts back about having alpha pads on the X00. I should also ask, has anyone else other than the one person I saw on here post pics of the pads on the x00's, do this. How did it sound to you?

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3,535 of 12,089
So I ordered the alpha pads. And they shipped today with a weird usps tracking number starting with 0004. I'm on the east coast. I wonder how long they will take to get from Cali

Man, I just love to read about shipping updates, especially when it's alternate pads. We obviously need more input since mostly everyone now has their X00, hence the lack of shipping talk. Please do tell us when it leaves its current dsestination. Can't wait to read where it goes next, and how long it takes to arrive at your door! :popcorn:

:rolleyes:

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #3,536 of 12,089
Man there is a ton of sarcastic keyboard courage people on this site. I think I'll take my posts elsewhere from now on

I joined to share my experience about all audio even the shipping. The fact that people have to be this way makes me wonder how life sucks so much for them. You get on here just to spread your negative slander just to get a raise from someone and suck the fun out of it. It's like having the fat guy at work that doesn't take showers for days on end and goes around making fun of others to make himself feel self worth, when really in reality you are literally the butt of all the jokes.

Rant over. Let me get back to what I do best and chill

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3,537 of 12,089
Man there is a ton of sarcastic keyboard courage people on this site. I think I'll take my posts elsewhere from now on

I joined to share my experience about all audio even the shipping. The fact that people have to be this way makes me wonder how life sucks so much for them. You get on here just to spread your negative slander just to get a raise from someone and suck the fun out of it. It's like having the fat guy at work that doesn't take showers for days on end and goes around making fun of others to make himself feel self worth, when really in reality you are literally the butt of all the jokes.

Rant over. Let me get back to what I do best and chill

Did I ruffle your feathers? Oh, man... I am sooooooo sorry, that was not my intention.

Edit: Insert emoji of choice, here.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,540 of 12,089
You ruined it change. I was on the edge of my seat not knowing if the pads will get to the right place! Now I will always have to wonder...... :)

I ruin a lot of things. I mean, I'm an overweight internet keyboard gangster with no life. It's what I do!

[insert emoji of choice, here]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back