Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 31, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #4,561 of 12,087
  May 9................

dang you got pwned
you got trolled

but enjoy your headset, I am getting mine tomorrow. I couldn't wait - had to see what all the hype was about. so I bought used for 380$.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,562 of 12,087
I, for one, am very satisfied with the treble on the X00's. Coming from my Q701's, which most people have issues with a spike on, it seems minorly tamed, with much more detail than the 701s.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4,563 of 12,087
  How do you like the high frequency performance on these cans obsidyen? I tend to prefer brighter cans..

Haha, I'm thinning down the herd though. I owned all those at the same time a month ago when testing, but returned the nighthawk, oppo and dt770. Sold LCD-2 just recently, trying to sell the M-100 and maybe the TH-X00.

You might like the TH-X00. It's very slightly warm I would say, with a downward sloping W signature but the 's' sounds can get crazy at times (I'm slightly treble sensitive). Treble is alright to me for the most part, but can get slightly fatiguing for longer periods to me. I find the bass on the TH-X00 slightly muddy, boomy and overblown though. It has the visceral sub-bass some cans might lack, but that's pretty much it imo. I prefer the planar bass of the cans I have, it's much cleaner to me. Like I said, very good (extremely good actually) value at $399, but not much else. Don't expect it to have the magical bass the TH-900 has at a third of the price. YMMV

EDIT: ok I didn't see that you were asking obsidyen, my mistake

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #4,564 of 12,087

I have the TH-X00, and the Omni and LCD-2 were a class above it imo. But at $399 it's great value for that price.

I don't like planar magnetic headphones. I've had various models from Audeze, Hifiman, Oppo but no... It's just not my cup of tea.

How do you like the high frequency performance on these cans obsidyen? I tend to prefer brighter cans..

Sadly, I'm in the 2nd drop so haven't heard them yet. :) That said, I had TH900 for a while and its treble was a bit too bright for me. It was way too V-shaped. TH-X00 is said to have smoother treble. You might like TH900 more.

lvince95 answered your question though.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #4,565 of 12,087

Haha, I'm thinning down the herd though. I owned all those at the same time a month ago when testing, but returned the nighthawk, oppo and dt770. Sold LCD-2 just recently, trying to sell the M-100 and maybe the TH-X00.

You might like the TH-X00. It's very slightly warm I would say, with a downward sloping W signature but the 's' sounds can get crazy at times (I'm slightly treble sensitive). I find the bass on the TH-X00 slightly muddy, boomy and overblown though. It has the visceral sub-bass some cans might lack, but that's pretty much it imo. I prefer the planar bass of the cans I have, it's much cleaner to me. Like I said, very good value at $399, but not much else. Don't expect it to have the magical bass the TH-900 has at a third of the price. YMMV

Mmm mmm, all sounds rather acceptable. I am looking for a desktop headphone that replaces my HE-400 during the day. I also prefer planar bass especially the HE-400(original rev2) so the TH900 is too pricy for me. But there is a lot of noise around the house and city noise making its way through my window during light time which makes my HE-400 become unusable. Seeing as the TH-X00 has better isolation than open Planar's whilst maintaining superb sound quality it seems like it's the best alternative.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #4,566 of 12,087
  Mmm mmm, all sounds rather acceptable. I am looking for a desktop headphone that replaces my HE-400 during the day. I also prefer planar bass especially the HE-400(original rev2) so the TH900 is too pricy for me. But there is a lot of noise around the house and city noise making its way through my window during light time which makes my HE-400 become unusable. Seeing as the TH-X00 has better isolation than open Planar's whilst maintaining superb sound quality it seems like it's the best alternative.

Oh no. You got double-rekt. Trust me, the TH-X00 has almost no isolation. Slightly better, but just slightly. It still leaks sound in just as bad as the TH-900. You might not hear anything with music though.

EDIT: It's usable in an office environment though. Leaks sound as well but not as bad as open-backs. It leaks more sound in than out though.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #4,567 of 12,087
Im so confused on these. Half the people say the bass is great and the treble is forward, and half say its muddled and dark!

Essentially im looking for something that splits the difference between my x1 and my grado 325. Overall i prefer the x1 signature, which i believe is similar to the x00 but want more bass impact than the x1, and with detail and imaging of the grado. Looking for something fun that can hit that.

Is this close to that?

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #4,568 of 12,087
Im so confused on these. Half the people say the bass is great and the treble is forward, and half say its muddled and dark!

Essentially im looking for something that splits the difference between my x1 and my grado 325. Overall i prefer the x1 signature, which i believe is similar to the x00 but want more bass impact than the x1, and with detail and imaging of the grado. Looking for something fun that can hit that.

Is this close to that?

I have no experience with the X1 and grado, but I would never call the TH-X00 a dark can.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #4,570 of 12,087
To me r70x is too slow, especially for electronic and rock. I do agree with your assessment of the thx00.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,572 of 12,087

Oh no. You got double-rekt. Trust me, the TH-X00 has almost no isolation. Slightly better, but just slightly. It still leaks sound in just as bad as the TH-900. You might not hear anything with music though.

EDIT: It's usable in an office environment though. Leaks sound as well but not as bad as open-backs. It leaks more sound in than out though.

Well, I don't need more isolation than that. The HE-400 have 0% isolation, they block out nothing from the outside. Sounds like the X00's will do :D

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,573 of 12,087
How do people like th-x00 for gaming and movies? Is it immersive? Decent?
A lack of soundstage can kill the immersion, imo.
I don't really care for accurate footsteps tracking in games, just enjoyable sound.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #4,574 of 12,087
  I also agree wholeheartedly about trying these yourself first before buying... unless you have a refund / return option.

I tried the Fostex TH-X00 again yesterday at a Head-Fi meet I set up with around 75 people in the bay area. I tested one of the X00's critically with several well encoded songs of various genres on at least two amps: Schiit vali tube version and Liquid carbon in high gain. While it seemed the overall presentation is somewhat passable, overall it was quite dark and non detailed: major bass emphasis and major missing detail / roll off in the treble - very non-linear. I then spoke with the two owners of X00's present with the above impression, and they both agreed that it is basically a basshead 'can, however they still like it. It comes down to sound preferences: this kind of signature will be appealing to some people if this is what they like.

The favorite 3 headphones I tried that day were ATH-R70X (on M903 DAC/amp), SR-009 (on KGSS e-stat amp) and the venerable HD-650. IMO the 650 was about 2x more refined; the R70X was in a whole different dimension (polar opposite of TH-X00 in every way - along with different from every other signature out there with the possible exception of the HD-800); and the SR-009 was a huge leap above all else present - uncanny micro-details, speed, immaculate texture / tonality etc.

EDIT: I also compared it to the AKG K7XX and the bass on the K7XX was similar although slightly less in quantity yet better in definition; soundstage was bigger and more detailed in the highs

So, let me get this straight: you're faulting it because it fell short of perhaps the greatest headphone currently in regular production (SR009), and a well amped open headphone (R70X on a m903)?  When you paired it with an amp it wouldn't match well with AT ALL (Vali) and a carbon on ***high*** gain?!  The THX00 is incredibly efficient and low impedance, so putting it on high gain with just about any amp is pretty crazy and the Vali1 is both tubes and relatively high impedance, which both aren't great for the THX00.

I realize that the THX00 maybe isn't for everybody, but that seems like hitting your foot with a concrete brick and then complaining that your new shoes are hurting your feet compared to the $900 well worn in loafers you tried yesterday.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back