Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #6,736 of 12,089
  After HD600 (with Micro iCan) I found X2s (with Micro iCan and then Mojo) to be meaty, full, dynamic, thick. Finally some fun.
I have never thought, once I will say my X2s are "bottom of the barrel" sounding, distant, uninteresting, blunt.
But X00s made me feel and say that.
I tried X00s straight from my laptop, skipping Mojo, and I was more than surprised. It was a horrible experience. Pale, "tin-like" sound, loosing all the details and well separated, nice bass. Lost dynamics, power, space. Absolute freaking surprise.
 (I honestly do not want to advertise Mojo, however this peace of audio equipment was my best spent money ever.)

In my opinion a good DAC is even more important than a good amp. 

my guess is that the straight from your laptop sound has more to do with the amp than the DAC.  Laptop amps are often very bad with high amounts of distortion and very high output impedances.  My THX00 sounds pretty good out of the headphone jack of my macbook pro but like complete garbage out of my work issued dell latitude.  

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #6,737 of 12,089
 I am wondering, where Fostex would have priced X00s, if they were part of the official Fostex retail line up. Most online sources say, they were positioned between 600 and 900. Which would be around £750 at the moment, on this point of the globe. Even with shipping and customs charges I paid less than half of this price.

If we take the least appealing scenario, and say X00s are just a modified 600s (which is not entirely true), even then I got it 25% cheaper than the cheapest 600s (including all the additional charges again).

Pretty good value, regardless the point of view.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #6,738 of 12,089
Im Recabling a pair of emu teak. Their build is identical to THx00. I could make a guide if you folks want
Can I be the first to say that would be fantastic :)
If you really do not mind going to the trouble of documenting the mod, or videoing it, I think a lot of people on this thread would be eternally grateful (especially myself).

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #6,740 of 12,089
Go to our cable forum. There are members that will convert it to detachable cables for a reasonable amount. I'm just sending mine to Alex at Wywires to rewire mine with his Red cable.

This is what I had done to mine,

They turned out great...

Removable cables for Fostex TH-X00, TH-600, TH-900 is not a very difficult DIY project depending on the jacks you want to install.  I use SMC since they are small and don't require any cutting, going with the 2.5mm or mini-xlr then there will be a lot more work involved and you will need to do some cutting.  This is what SMC will look like:

As @Whitigir
 noted the new TH-900 Mk2 and also the TH-610 have removable cables now but even the TH-610 is $625.

Oh yea, that might be a good idea. You guys notice any changes in sound sig?

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #6,742 of 12,089

You want to know about sound signature changes when modifying ? Follow this thread for all of the mods related including detachable cables mod

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/5250#post_12614662

This pair of mine has the sound signature changed to the way I would prefer it. Therefore, it depends on your taste, preferences :D. however, I hear that doing detachable mods, some may not hear the differences.....and some people hear it ?

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #6,743 of 12,089

Not that I could tell. They were gone for a week.  I can say loved them I sent them out. Still love them now. 

Only with detachable cables 
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #6,745 of 12,089
TH-X00 modified with 8-conductor shielded cable. 
color]

Sound is better. Better is separation and imaging. Final mod for me now.. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #6,746 of 12,089

No changes for me but I really don't believe in cables making a difference in sound unless the original cable was really bad.  But there are some who say that they can hear the difference, not going to go there with cable mods.  To be fair most of my headphone cables are made from Mogami, Canare or Cardas wires, also made one with Double helix cables and another made from Forza cables.  Neither my GF or I can hear the difference in the cables made from these five different wires.

There is one thing I do that some may not do when doing the removable cable mods, I change the wire all the way to the driver and use good N7 OFC or SPC wire between the new jack and the driver.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #6,747 of 12,089
I remember inquiring about some headphones from Moon Audio a couple years back. My concern about the cans in question was reviews mentioning it had rolled off highs, and their response was to buy a $200 cable to improve the treble.

Hahaha haha hahaha! :joy:

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #6,748 of 12,089
  TH-X00 modified with 8-conductor shielded cable. 
color]

Sound is better. Better is separation and imaging. Final mod for me now.. 

Nicely done!

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 2, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #6,749 of 12,089

From what I've found 5 is fine.  Lower is better, but it's not a huge deal at 5 ohms.  You'll gain a bit faster, more articulate bass with a sub 1 ohm amp, but it's not night and day difference, and in fact some people actually seem to like the boomy bass that a 5-10 ohm output impedance amp can give.  However, if you're after the highest speed, articulation, lack of distortion, driver control that this headphone can offer, you want a high quality solid state amp with sub 1 ohm.  

I guess that depends on the headphone to an extent right? For instance, I owned the SPL Auditor with I think 9ohm output and it was freaking amazing with my DT 880 600ohm. Controlled those drivers like a vice grip. That was a nice amp. Wish I had kept it.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #6,750 of 12,089
  I am too scared to do a cable mod before my warranty expires... :frowning2:

My recommendations: if you want to do it nonetheless, get a cheap pair of headphones, soldering iron and all the required parts, then get some practice with the soldering iron, with the next step being to modify the pair of cheap headphones. If you feel confident, you can still mod the TH-X00 (or let someone else do it for you).

Oh, and by the way, I received an automated e-mail (I guess the other first 600 backers of the latest drop should have as well) that said they would expect to receive the batch on 6/6 at their warehouse and that we could expect the next update around that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back