FOTM Roll Call - Current and Past Popular Headphones or IEM's
Jan 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

marone

100+ Head-Fier
FOTM - Flavour of the Month, a headphone that is making the rounds and is overly popular here and elsewhere.

I am new to the site so I don't know which cans were all the rage and very popular in the past.

One I read of that I did not know about until this week:

KEF 500

Which other IEM's and hps were very popular fads in the past?

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Everything is new once, though few are ever popular.

Further, popularity is not a defect. I want to emphasize that. Over-popular is different from over-rated.

The most recent FOTM is HE400, which is a very good model that I enjoy and will likely (along with its successors) to continue being popular.

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog was briefly in a FOTM phase recently, but maybe its price prevented it from becoming fully FOTM. 

One of the past FOTM from before my time was ATH-A900. From what I've read, it's one of the classic FOTM.

Maybe both HA-S400 and HA-S500 too, but I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Since discovering this place in 2007, I can try to make a list of what I've seen get lots of attention: Equation Audio (do they still exist?) RP21x, M-Audio Q40 was really popular a few years ago; it seems to have made a bit of a resurgence lately, JVC RX700, AKG K81, Ultrasone HFI580/780, Audio Technica ES7, AKG K701, Audio Technica M50 (obviously, and still kind of is), Audio Technica AD700, probably anything Dsnuts talks about, and a significant number more that I can't remember. And that's only full size/on ear headphones. In ear wasn't all that popular in 2007-2009 (the only sub $100 but over $30 IEMs I remember existing were the Shure E2c, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, Etymotic ER6i, Altec Lansing iM716 and Mylarone X3i) and I honestly haven't kept up lately. I do remember the Head-Direct RE2 was a huge hit though, as was early MEElectronics stuff and the Monster Turbine series.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Beats, and they still are FOTM.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back