From the HD650s to the D7000s - initial impressions
Dec 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

leng jai

1000+ Head-Fier
i've been a happy HD650 user for a good two years now, but recently I've gotten an urge to try something slightly livelier and more exciting. After much deliberation I came to the conclusion that the D7000s would be the right choice for me. I'm not going to lie, those polished mahogany cups were quite seductive. Its pretty damn difficult getting a decent deal on these cans in Australia (they go for around 1300AUD). Luckily I found a slightly second hand pair locally on Headfi for $700AUD and received them a few days ago.

Heres a photo for good measure:

What I will say is that I was in no way unhappy with the HD650s. They are fantastic headphones for their price and definitely a piece of gear that I would consider "high end". What I really wanted was something with slightly more bass impact and more treble presence.

I've been listening solidly for 2 days now and my intial impressions are very favourable. These are quite easily the most comfortable headphones I have ever used although do feel slightly loose on my head. A "snugger" fit would be nice but its not like they are falling off. I'm running them through the setup listed in my signature although I've heard that tube amps aren't the greatest match for the D7000s.

First off, the treble presence is a definite step up from the HD650s and add that sparkle that I was at times yearning for in my old setup. Sibilance hasn't been a problem yet, which is a pleasant surprise. I am very impressed by the vocals produced by the D7000s, Josh Groban never sounded so good. To me, one area that the HD650s clearly beat the Denons is in the midrage. They are simply smoother while the Denons sound slightly recessed though still very nice. Its very hard for me to decide which phones I prefer when it comes vocals. The HD650s are incredibly smooth while the D7000s have the edge in treble sparkle.

Bass is comparable but the D7000s clearly win in this regard. The impact is quite visceral thanks to the slight mid bass emphasis - The Inception/Dark Knight OSTs are amazing for this. Depth is very close though I do feel the Denons dig slightly deeper in Muse's Ruled By Secrecy but this could be the added mid bass fooling me. After all this the bass always remains tight (the amp really helps here). I wasn't expecting much from the soundstage since it is a closed headphone but I've been pleasantly surprised. They sound airier and less congested than the HD650s. I always felt the warm sound signature of the Sennheisers made their soundstage slightly congested.

Overall the D7000s so far have sounded exactly like what I expected them to sound like. A lively and musical presentation with amazing bass. I do feel they are a step above the HD650s, and for the price, they should be. The difference isn't great and I could easily see a lot of people preferring the smoother sound that the Sennheisers produce. For the record, I'll be keeping both.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 15
I just ordered the HD650 so I will compare my notes with yours when it arrives.  Congratulations on owning one of the BEST headphones on the market. :) 

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 15
The HD650s do sound ever so slightly muffled in comparison.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 15
That is very good to hear. I ordered the D7000 a few days ago... (I couldn't NOT buy them at the $585 price), and the last thing I wanna hear is muffled/smooth treble. I like my sparkle, which is why I knew the D7000 would be for me. I hope they live up to my expectations.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:

i agree, particularly in comparison to the HD800. the 650s even with foams removed give an impression of muffled highs, and to the chagrin of many people id say that my dt 990s are a more fitting midline phone for my taste and while they impart a definitely colored sound they are the most naturally enjoyable of my phones given their extremely colored skew on the music. the 701s give soundstaging and definition similar to the hd800s but the 990s impart an extremely expected sound ( pronounced bass and treble) while giving a quality of pure listenability(mis-nomenclature). i hope this helps, although given the extreme subjectivity of this hobby, illl understand your protest

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 15
Yep. Compared to the HD600/650, the D7000 opens the upper register and becomes very revealing. The highs are brilliant but not overly so, they are sparkly without being sibilant.
It's true that the mids are (very) slightly recessed, but oddly vocals are remarkably present. Listening to well re-mastered Ella is nearly scary. Krall, Nora Jones, Barber, even Krauss or Julie London... They are right in front of you (or on top of your head!).

And as far as the D7000 being closed. Well, not really. Sure the back is solid, but they are nearly transparent to outside noise, so no isolation... and the spatial characteristics are more akin to open cans. It seems very wide in there... there... there...

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 15
For a closed headphone, I'm more concerned of leaking tons of sound outside. At home, I have no use for isolation as outside sounds don't bother me in the least.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 15
This is perhaps the most surprising aspect of the D7000s to me. With the recessed mids you would expect vocals to take a hit - not so. 

As for sound leakage, they are the same in this regard (if not worse) than the HD650s.

Quote:
Quote:

i agree, particularly in comparison to the HD800. the 650s even with foams removed give an impression of muffled highs, and to the chagrin of many people id say that my dt 990s are a more fitting midline phone for my taste and while they impart a definitely colored sound they are the most naturally enjoyable of my phones given their extremely colored skew on the music. the 701s give soundstaging and definition similar to the hd800s but the 990s impart an extremely expected sound ( pronounced bass and treble) while giving a quality of pure listenability(mis-nomenclature). i hope this helps, although given the extreme subjectivity of this hobby, illl understand your protest

Quote:
Yep. Compared to the HD600/650, the D7000 opens the upper register and becomes very revealing. The highs are brilliant but not overly so, they are sparkly without being sibilant.
It's true that the mids are (very) slightly recessed, but oddly vocals are remarkably present. Listening to well re-mastered Ella is nearly scary. Krall, Nora Jones, Barber, even Krauss or Julie London... They are right in front of you (or on top of your head!).

And as far as the D7000 being closed. Well, not really. Sure the back is solid, but they are nearly transparent to outside noise, so no isolation... and the spatial characteristics are more akin to open cans. It seems very wide in there... there... there...

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I am very impressed by the vocals produced by the D7000s, Josh Groban never sounded so good. To me, one area that the HD650s clearly beat the Denons is in the midrage.

Yes, Josh Groban is one of those vocalists that can hold your attention with just his voice. His debut album never gets old.

I just received my HD600s with cardas cable and the refinement is a big step up from Earsonics SM3 IEMs I was using before. I would like to try to the Denons with the Lawton mods.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 15
I tried the D7000s out of my Cambridge integrated amp last night and was actually quite impressed with the result. It sounded much warmer than the Darkvoice 332 and bass quantity was significantly increased to the point where it was too much. I've heard the D7000s aren't great with tubes so now I'm very curious as to how a nice solid state amp would sound. Been looking at the Concerto but its slightly more than I want to spend, and the fact that you can't get it in black anymore doesn't help.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi There Head Fi world!

This is my first post having lurked for a few weeks.

I have recently had a daughter and need to move from my monster mission 753 speakers to the world of private listening, but oh what to buy.... choices choices choices.

So I thought sod it and have just clicked the button on some HD650 and AHD7000's as I listen to everything except rap and country

Just hope my Fiio e7 & e9 combo can do them justice?

I just wanted to share this with someone as my wife wont appreciate what I have just done and this seemed like the right thread to make my first post.

Now all i need to go and do is massage my bank account to avoid it spluttering until the end of the month!

I think I'm addicted.

Or as Queen would say....Another one bites the dust.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 15
congrats with the cans, welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet

If the E9 can do them justice is a bit subjective. I use the FiiO combo on my 650's and 7000's and have no complaints; it drives both easily. Offcourse a way more expensive would make the cans shine more, and some will say you need that to do them justice.

One thing's for sure, E9 can power them, so enjoy! 

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 15
Thank you Proglover.

I appreciate your words of welcome and wisdom.

I look forward to posting my first impressions once they are crowned upon my lusting ears!

: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back