Full Of Schiit Stack
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
I started updating my music collection - no more .mp3 files, I'm re-ripping everything in FLAC via MediaMonkey and converting to ALAC (for my iPhone/iPod/iPad) with Aiseesoft's "Total Video Converter." If I can find a hi-res version of an album I love (24/96), I make note and buy it when I have some extra money. It is painfully time-consuming, but worthwhile so far.

I also decided to update my desktop set-up and move on from my trusty HeadRoom Micro Stack (MicroAmp and MicroDAC, circa 2005 or 2006, I think) that served me well for almost over a decade. After careful consideration, I purchased a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC and Vali 2 amp. I liked them so much, I decided to throw more money at the Schiitheads and purchase an Eitr and Loki.

So far, I'm having so much fun listening to my music and fiddling around with tubes, inputs, and the knobs on the Loki.

Has anyone else gone full Schiit-tard like this? If so, what are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 21
I've been strongly considering buying a stack myself. I've heard nothing but good things about Schiit's products.
My only regret is that I should have just dived in and spent on a Bifrost Multibit DAC and Lyr 2 amp from the get-go. But... how was I to know (a) I would like doing business with Schiit [love 'em, they are great so far] and (b) I would enjoy their "entry level" product set? At least now I can look forward to getting upgrades when I do something worthy of being rewarded. :)

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 21
I

Has anyone else gone full Schiit-tard like this? If so, what are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

I went with the Modi 2 Multibit and Magni 3 driving Grado RS2es, source is ALAC from 2012 mac mini. Yes. Alive is a good description. I can listen for hours on end. Question: did you notice a discernible improvement with Eitr?

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 21
I went with the Modi 2 Multibit and Magni 3 driving Grado RS2es, source is ALAC from 2012 mac mini. Yes. Alive is a good description. I can listen for hours on end. Question: did you notice a discernible improvement with Eitr?
Hard to say how noticeable things are with Eitr. I like to think the music sounds better, but I don't know if that's because I THINK it should sound better, or if it really does sound better. I haven't had anything that jumps out at me. If I REALLY listen carefully, things sound "cleaner," but who knows? Placebo?

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 21
Hard to say how noticeable things are with Eitr. I like to think the music sounds better, but I don't know if that's because I THINK it should sound better, or if it really does sound better. I haven't had anything that jumps out at me. If I REALLY listen carefully, things sound "cleaner," but who knows? Placebo?

I was gifted a Schiit Stack by my two best friends. Yeah, they are awesome. :) My setup is Wintel based and I recently switched to SPDIF via playing around with a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro. The switch from USB to SPDIF was huge. Asca,result I added the EITR to the stack. Im happy to report I got the same if not better results. A/B tests requireed volume matching hence the "if not better statement.

If you're using Apple products to deliver data via USB, you're likely not going to notice as much of a difference. I suspect Apple's USB implementation is better than most Windows machines. But I would highly recommend the EITR to any Windows users

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 21
Done a lot of A/B listening USB -> Eitr -> Modi and USB -> Modi... There's SOMETHING cleaner about the Modi being fed by Eitr. It isn't as drastic as the difference between looking through a dirty window and then looking through the same window after its been professionally cleaned, but you get the idea. <-- That's some real audiophile talk right there, folks.

[not]

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 21

I did a lot of considering when I started into the schiit products world. Wasn't sure whether to go cheap and get the Fulla, go more moderate and get the Modi x Magni stack, or go overboard and get a Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr w/ Modi Uber/Multibit/Bifrost. (All comparative to budget)
I decided to go the more expensive way (budget-wise) and get an Asgard 2 with a modi 2 uber. I love the sound. True the only thing I have it to compare it to is my PC onboard audio in which case it's leaps and bounds better but I feel like I got my moneys worth. I'm also happy that I spent less on amplification and reproduction than I did on my headphones themselves. So far I've got a small collection with only some Fostex TH-X00s and some Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9s which were my first foyer headphones into the realm of $100+ for a pair. Overall, I'm satisfied with my setup. Although I think going Asgard 2 was a little overkill with the TH-X00s given their low impedance my iPhone could likely power them sufficiently. In fact a comfortable listening volume on those is only 9-10 o'clock on the dial. But still they sound great and I think are a great compliment to really anything you use with them (within reason).

I considered Schiit Stack for the longest time but I figured why not futureproof myself for years by giving some extra power under the hood. I can't speak on the sound of the Stack but I can say that if the Asgard is anything even remotely close to their other products down the line, I'm sure they sound great and you always hear how the entire company makes equipment that's quality (both build and sound wise) outperform their market price and compete with other equipment leagues more expensive.
But all-in-all that's my opinion on my setup. I quite enjoy it and I love my schiit.
They make great products and I'm proud to use em.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 21
I basically have gone Schiit-tard. I've tried a lot of DACs and amps over the past year, and settled on Schiit Mani for my vinyl listening, and Modi 2/Magni 3 for my digital (it's beaten out all the portable stuff I've tried so far). And now I'm thinking of getting the Bifrost and trying one of their tube amps. The only DAC/amp I tried that matched the Schiit stack (to my ears) was the Chord Mojo and it's more than twice the price. Plus I just like the way the Schiit stuff looks :D

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 21
I'm picking up the Valhalla 2 and the Modi 2, should I just bite the bullet and buy the Bifrost over the modi 2? I'm also picking up a sound card, what sound cards do others have here?

As far as experimenting tubes go, I was checking these guys out, because I've heard good things about them, like more bass slam and a touch tighter bass, with worse timbre but better balance over all. I'm just excited to play around with tubes. I have about $1000 to spend on DAC/AMP equipment, but I was thinking that I could go for Valhalla, plus a cheaper DAC, so I can get more headphones.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 21
I did a lot of considering when I started into the schiit products world. Wasn't sure whether to go cheap and get the Fulla, go more moderate and get the Modi x Magni stack, or go overboard and get a Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr w/ Modi Uber/Multibit/Bifrost. (All comparative to budget)
I decided to go the more expensive way (budget-wise) and get an Asgard 2 with a modi 2 uber. I love the sound. True the only thing I have it to compare it to is my PC onboard audio in which case it's leaps and bounds better but I feel like I got my moneys worth. I'm also happy that I spent less on amplification and reproduction than I did on my headphones themselves. So far I've got a small collection with only some Fostex TH-X00s and some Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9s which were my first foyer headphones into the realm of $100+ for a pair. Overall, I'm satisfied with my setup. Although I think going Asgard 2 was a little overkill with the TH-X00s given their low impedance my iPhone could likely power them sufficiently. In fact a comfortable listening volume on those is only 9-10 o'clock on the dial. But still they sound great and I think are a great compliment to really anything you use with them (within reason).

I considered Schiit Stack for the longest time but I figured why not futureproof myself for years by giving some extra power under the hood. I can't speak on the sound of the Stack but I can say that if the Asgard is anything even remotely close to their other products down the line, I'm sure they sound great and you always hear how the entire company makes equipment that's quality (both build and sound wise) outperform their market price and compete with other equipment leagues more expensive.
But all-in-all that's my opinion on my setup. I quite enjoy it and I love my schiit.
They make great products and I'm proud to use em.
How would you characterize the Asgard 2? Warm? Analytic? What do you like Best about it?

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm picking up the Valhalla 2 and the Modi 2, should I just bite the bullet and buy the Bifrost over the modi 2? I'm also picking up a sound card, what sound cards do others have here?

As far as experimenting tubes go, I was checking these guys out, because I've heard good things about them, like more bass slam and a touch tighter bass, with worse timbre but better balance over all. I'm just excited to play around with tubes. I have about $1000 to spend on DAC/AMP equipment, but I was thinking that I could go for Valhalla, plus a cheaper DAC, so I can get more headphones.
Are those tubes ok for the Valhalla? I’ll be interested in hearing your impressions re: Valhalla 2. Schiit touts it as not being “your dad’s tune amp” - the implication being it isn’t syrupy and typically “tubey.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back