++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #11,926 of 29,490

Quote:
so far i found these the ath m30's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826402007

is there anything better for around the price?

I would say the music I listen to is
75% rock/alternative/acoustic
20% rap/hip hop
2% country
3% skrillex

The M30s are pretty good for their price, and would probably work decently with any genres. Your other options at that price might be something like the K81DJ, but that might be uncomfortable and/or too bassy.

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
So the SR80i have harsh treble, eh? 
That's a shame, I mean I have nothing against highs, it's real good you know for hearing that powerful cymbal and some vocals and what not, but like you said these are piercing.
and if I were to get the SR80i, I wouldn't be using them in public much.

So I guess it's not, M50s, SRH840s and the 780s.
Which one would you recommend the most?
I'm interested in the 780s the most but I'll probably have to go for the 580s because they're cheaper and I don't have a high budget (150-200 the most)
Is there a huge difference between the 780s and the 580s?

Thanks

-Addison

Well, the Grado sound signature is pretty polarizing, most people either love it or hate it, and a lot of that is its treble presentation. It's not terrible, but if you found your superluxes piercing, chances are you'll have issue with the Grados as well. The M50s and 780s will probably have a more "fun" sound signature than the Shures. AFAIK, the 780s run for about the same price as the 580s on Amazon ($150), so there's no reason to get the 580s, unless you like bass, as they're bassier.

Quote:
Hey everyone. Sorry in advance for my noobness but I'm looking to buy some headphones mainly for on-the-go (school, travel) and just before giving in on buying some beats (studio) like every other person nowadays, I decided to do some research and found myself here, though very confused about what to buy now. After reading numerous reviews, my possibilites now include the Bose QC15, M50, D2000, DT 770, and I'm open to any other suggestions. I mostly listen to hip-hop/techno/dubstep/reggae. Comfortability is pretty important and I don't really wanna use an amp if possible. I'm mainly gonna use it with my iphone and ideally I wanna keep it below $300

The QC15 will probably not be worth the extra money you'll be paying for the ANC function, so unless you really need it, I'd pass over it. As far as portables go, your other 3 choices might be a bit too bulky to use portably, and the cable may be inconveniently long. For your purposes, a dedicated portable would probably be the better option. Some sets to look into might be the V-moda M80s, Sennheiser HD25-i, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Phiaton MS400, and the B&W P5.

Quote:
Hello there o/

So, this is my first post here at Head-Fi, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones.
I'm going to be clear. I would like a recomendation of a portable headphone for use with an iPod Classic 160GB. As this will be worn in my daily bus travel and on the walk, noise atenuation should be good (so, no opened back at all).

My musical taste is:
45% "Extreme" Heavy Metal (Death, Black, Thrash - besides Hardcore and other "cores")
20% Other forms of Heavy Metal
15% Rock
10% Eletronica
10% Rap

I found out Sennheiser HD 25-1 II would be a good choice, as Grados are opened and they don't suite me.

Is there any other can you guys recomend for my needs?

Thanks so much in advance!
k701smile.gif

The HD25s are a good option, but maybe add the M80s and DT1350s.

Quote:
Do the Ultrasone PRO 900 leak?

Do you know of somewhere i could get them brand new and at a lower price than 483$(amazon)?

Since they're closed, they won't leak very much. I don't know of any Pro 900 deals, but you could ask around the deals thread.

Quote:
Hi!   I'm looking to upgrade my cans from Ath-sj 55 to the ath- Es7 .

Is it a good upgrade over my sj55 on sound quality? Im also considering the m50, but it is too difficult to carry it around with me (prefer it to be portable). I mainly listen to pop and classical songs and i like the vocals to be forward sounding and clear. I will also be using the cans to watch movies on my desktop. Any advice on this? Thank you very much.

Also, price for Es7 in my country is quite expensive. 250sgd ( 200usd) and my Sj55 only cost 80sgd ( 64usd). So if its not a major improvement in sound quality (advice needed) , i think i will pass on the Es7 and look for other portable phones that i hope head-filers can recommend.   :D

Thanks so much in advance for the response and help!  :))))

The ES7 will be an improvement, but for $200 you could also get the HD25s or M80s, which are significantly better. What other portables can you get where you live?

Quote:
OK, so I've pretty much settled on the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms. Only question I have is I am going to be using them on my PC (Built-in soundcard) and iPod Touch. Will I need an external amp? Will it make a significant difference? If so, which is the smallest/lightest amp available that will work well with them that isn't ridiculously expensive? I need portability as I listen to music walking to college.

Thanks.

Your computer could probably drive them ok, but an amp like the Fiio E11 might improve the sound quality a bit.

Quote:

Hello all,

I had a pair of HD203's that started to mess up. I was looking to upgrade to something better and paying at max 150 probably. I was looking at either the SRH750DJ's, or the ATH-M50. I mainly listen to hip hop, hardcore metal, some indie stuff / pop punk stuff. A lot of stuff that has a lot of bass in it most likely. Any suggestions?

Those 2 are pretty good choices, as are the HFI580/780s, among others.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #11,928 of 29,490
Hello,

I posted a number of pages ago looking for headphone, DAC, and amp advice. I've settled on the Audio Technica W1000x headphones, but I'm still at a loss as to which DAC/amp I should get. My two limiting factors are: 1) The DAC needs to have two outputs as I'll be using a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system in addition to the headphones, and 2) I would like it to look aesthetically pleasing. Matching if possible, black if possible.

Obviously #2 is less of a priority than #1, but I do like my things to look nice. I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 on these two items, but less would be great. I'm not a super hardcore audiophile, and since this is my first step into high-end headphones I feel I should somewhat limit my spending.

If it matters, my music preferences are JPop/electronic/light rock, and I like listening at lower-medium volumes.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #11,930 of 29,490

Quote:

Could anyone please tell me the differences between the PRO900 and the PRO2900??

The Pro 900 is closed-back, Pro 2900 is open-back.  I don't really know much about the sonic differences though.  In general, open-backed headphones have a larger soundstage and less bass, which usually gives a more natural presentation.  They also leak more sound - if you're looking for maximum isolation, you want to Pro 900s.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #11,931 of 29,490
Hey guys. Looking for headphones, nothing revolutionary. I've been using iTunes earbuds for most of games/music and they're really not cutting it for me anymore. They're not very comfortable, easily fall out, and no sense of immersion for games at all. I asked on another form and people directed me to the ATH-M30( while I also saw the M40s at the same price) but I'm still not sure. So I'll just put some guidelines to what type of headphones I want. 

>Good soundstage? I think that's the word for it. I want to be able to pin point sound directions from the environment in my games. There was a thread for competitive gaming but that just encompased mainly footsteps in FPS while I'm looking for a sense of atmosphere.

>I have a budget of $60(while I don't mind going a bit higher if it's worth it) and I'd prefer that it'd be available on Amazon if from an online retailer.

>I'm going to be purchasing the ASUS Xonar DG soundcard later so no worries about that. If there's any reccomendations for soundcards I'll welcome those too.

>Looking for good quality in general(both games and music), I'd prefer it to be closed but if it isn't, no worries.

>Something relatively comfortable.

If there's anything else that needs to be known please just reply. Looking forward to answers from people who seem to know what they're doing :p.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #11,932 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,

I posted a number of pages ago looking for headphone, DAC, and amp advice. I've settled on the Audio Technica W1000x headphones, but I'm still at a loss as to which DAC/amp I should get. My two limiting factors are: 1) The DAC needs to have two outputs as I'll be using a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system in addition to the headphones, and 2) I would like it to look aesthetically pleasing. Matching if possible, black if possible.

Obviously #2 is less of a priority than #1, but I do like my things to look nice. I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 on these two items, but less would be great. I'm not a super hardcore audiophile, and since this is my first step into high-end headphones I feel I should somewhat limit my spending.

If it matters, my music preferences are JPop/electronic/light rock, and I like listening at lower-medium volumes.

Thanks in advance!

For a dac/amp on a budget, maybe the Fiio E9/E17, something from iBasso, or Schiit.

Quote:
Those look nice but one thing I'm highly considering is a removable cable, which is why mainly the srh750 grabs my interest

Removable cables limit your choices significantly. The M50s don't have a removable cable either, so your choices are limited to the SRH750, and maybe the AKG K181 if you like the look of that.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #11,933 of 29,490
Well like I said, I'm willing to shell out up to $1,000 for the DAC/amp, so I'm not really on that tight of a budget. I was considering the Schitt Bifrost + Asgard, but the Bifrost only has one output, so that's a no-go.
Quote:

For a dac/amp on a budget, maybe the Fiio E9/E17, something from iBasso, or Schiit.

Removable cables limit your choices significantly. The M50s don't have a removable cable either, so your choices are limited to the SRH750, and maybe the AKG K181 if you like the look of that.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11,934 of 29,490
Hey guys, could you please help me choosing in-ear earphones.
Purpose: Uncompressed and CD music. Rock, alternative rock, pop, R n B and sometime hip hop.
Budget: up to $400.

With the budget I am torn between: 
- Shure SE535
- Westone 4
- Etymotic Research ER-4PT

Could you please provide opinions? I am now leaning towards Etymotic Research ER-4PT, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

P.S. I am also getting a portable amp.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #11,935 of 29,490

Quote:
Well like I said, I'm willing to shell out up to $1,000 for the DAC/amp, so I'm not really on that tight of a budget. I was considering the Schitt Bifrost + Asgard, but the Bifrost only has one output, so that's a no-go.

I don't know much about amps or dacs beyond what i said before, but maybe someone else can help?

Quote:
Hey guys, could you please help me choosing in-ear earphones.
Purpose: Uncompressed and CD music. Rock, alternative rock, pop, R n B and sometime hip hop.
Budget: up to $400.

With the budget I am torn between: 
- Shure SE535
- Westone 4
- Etymotic Research ER-4PT

Could you please provide opinions? I am now leaning towards Etymotic Research ER-4PT, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

P.S. I am also getting a portable amp.

Other IEMs to consider would be the SM3s, EX1000, JVC FX700, among others. There are also some entry-level customs under $400. For more info, check out ljokerl's 220 IEM review thread, found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-220-iems-compared-sony-mdr-ex300lp-mdr-ex600-added-02-07-12
Personally, I think the Etymotics might be too bass-light for your genres. Something like the Westone 4 might give you more bass, whereas stuff like the ER-4PTs and EX1000s will be more analytic, but with less bass. Also, just fyi, the FX700 won't isolate very well, even though it's an IEM.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #11,936 of 29,490
Looks aren't too much to me, for me it's more about the sound and if it'll be good enough for the music I listen to. Are the AKG K181's good for hip hop, metal / hardcore, pop punk, or softer music?
Quote:

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #11,937 of 29,490
Hi I got some Klipsch S4 and I really like them, but now I would like to buy some cans I can use daily with my iPhone, I listen to rock some electronic, alternative. I also dont want them to be too expensive if it could be less than $150 it would be great, I was looking into the M50 but I 'm not sure. The thing is a lot of my friends and my classmates have beats, and I want to show them that they're headphones a lot less expensive and 100x times better in SQ. I would lend them my klipsch s4 but since its in ear, its disgusting for me.
Btw they do think beats have great sound.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #11,938 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi I got some Klipsch S4 and I really like them, but now I would like to buy some cans I can use daily with my iPhone, I listen to rock some electronic, alternative. I also dont want them to be too expensive if it could be less than $150 it would be great, I was looking into the M50 but I 'm not sure. The thing is a lot of my friends and my classmates have beats, and I want to show them that they're headphones a lot less expensive and 100x times better in SQ. I would lend them my klipsch s4 but since its in ear, its disgusting for me.
Btw they do think beats have great sound.

The M50 are good but you don't need to have headphones just to show them off.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #11,939 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, but looking to invest in some headphones. 

My current lineup:
Thermaltake Isurus - I love these a lot, to me they have the perfect blend of treble and bass.
Beats Solo HD - only bought these cause I got a deal at 70% off - I dont really like them, they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones ever. the bass is there but the mid and highs sound like crap. pretty disappointed in them.
PortaPros - They sound good, but are pretty cheap and have just about zero bass. 

Just ordered a HT omega striker 7.1 sound card for my desktop

What I want: I listen to a wide variety of music. but the top things are hip hop, r&b, trance, dubstep.    but i do still listen to just about all the other genres including rock, classical, and whatever else is out there.
I'm looking for preferably Over Ear as the on ear usually end up putting pressure on my ear and making them hurt after 45+ minutes. 
So I am looking for something with a good amount of bass. I am kind of using my isurus as a benchmark since, as i've said gives me a great blend of sound and what I am looking for but in headphones. 
Budget is 50-150.

I have looked at M50 but it seems the price has been jacked up and people have not been praising it as highly lately.
the other ones i have heard of are the HD280, AD700, A700, and of course the grado SR60 but i think i read that they dont have much bass and are on ear?

Thanks in advanced guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back