++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #14,656 of 29,490
I have come down to beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 32 Ohm vs Denon AH-D2000.
I am going to mostly not be using it with amps.
I listen to mostly prog rock and electronic music of lots of types.

Any other suggestions are welcome, even other suggestions above these in price as my budget is quite flexible,
or I might spend less if it is not worth it using these without an amp.

Thanks Tim!

May 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #14,658 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm looking for portable headphones, must be comfortable for big heads!

For home use I have AKG K550 which I'm very happy with.
For portable use I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 II which sound ok but I find uncomfortable for extended periods or when wearing glasses so I gave them to my gf, I do have a large head!
For years I have owned a pair of Etymotic ER-4s which I also find uncomfortable for any more than a short period.

My budget is around $200 but flexible and I would like headphones which are comfortable for larger heads, sound great with an iPod and rock/pop/indie music.
Lack of leakage and good isolation is extremely important as they will be used on train/aircraft.

Audio Tecnica ATH-ANC7 look worth considering, what else should I look at?

Thanks in advance

May 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #14,659 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

For portable use I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 II which sound ok but I find uncomfortable for extended periods or when wearing glasses so I gave them to my gf, I do have a large head!
For years I have owned a pair of Etymotic ER-4s which I also find uncomfortable for any more than a short period.

My budget is around $200 but flexible and I would like headphones which are comfortable for larger heads, sound great with an iPod and rock/pop/indie music.
Lack of leakage and good isolation is extremely important as they will be used on train/aircraft.

Thanks in advance

You'll probably want to post this is the portable headphones section of the forum.

May 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #14,660 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Check out the v moda m80, great can.

May 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #14,664 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone know where I may buy a  Beyerdynamic Dt990 250 ohm for  reasonable price including shipping to Hawaii?  Preferably from a authorized seller but cheapest would be ideal.

Check out ProAudioStar on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/proaudiostar/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686 They normally are pretty fair when you offer a "best offer" price. They're authorized, too.

May 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #14,665 of 29,490
I just ordered from ProAudioStar, and I must say they have one of the best customer service I have ever seen.  Fast response, really fair shipping to Hawaii, and he even let me get brand new ones instead of the used ones listed for the same price, it's as if I got the brand new ones with free shipping!

May 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #14,666 of 29,490
Quote:
I just ordered from ProAudioStar, and I must say they have one of the best customer service I have ever seen.  Fast response, really fair shipping to Hawaii, and he even let me get brand new ones instead of the used ones listed for the same price, it's as if I got the brand new ones with free shipping!

Leave some impressions when you get them and burn them in.

May 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #14,667 of 29,490
Whats a good headphone in the 100-200dollar range . I listen to hip hop this is my first audiophile quality headphone .I have no amp or dac.Does a dac improve sound by alot? Would the ultrasone 580 or vmoda m80 be good.

May 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #14,668 of 29,490
Quote:
Whats a good headphone in the 100-200dollar range . I listen to hip hop this is my first audiophile quality headphone .I have no amp or dac.Does a dac improve sound by alot? Would the ultrasone 580 or vmoda m80 be good.

What is your current music source or sources?

May 12, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #14,669 of 29,490
I am looking to get a headphone almost exclusivly for movies since I don't listen to much bass heavy music. That and maybe some gaming depending how they sound. Something with strong deep bass good mids and non shrill/sharp highs

The headphones I have are a q701 t50r I have yet to mod and a m audio q40. Sadly I just put on my q40 and my cable is going out I am super bummed.

My favorite at the moment is the q701 mostly because its open. But I listen to the q40 the most.

Since it will have limited use I want to keep the budget under control. The main ones I am looking at are.

Ultrasone hfi2400
Denon 2000

Runner up

Beyer dt 770 pro 80
Beyer dt pro 990

For last headphne to buy hopefully as in max budget

Denon 5000/7000
Hifiman 400

May 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #14,670 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking to get a headphone almost exclusivly for movies since I don't listen to much bass heavy music. That and maybe some gaming depending how they sound. Something with strong deep bass good mids and non shrill/sharp highs
The headphones I have are a q701 t50r I have yet to mod and a m audio q40. Sadly I just put on my q40 and my cable is going out I am super bummed.
My favorite at the moment is the q701 mostly because its open. But I listen to the q40 the most.
Since it will have limited use I want to keep the budget under control. The main ones I am looking at are.
Ultrasone hfi2400
Denon 2000
Runner up
Beyer dt 770 pro 80
Beyer dt pro 990
For last headphne to buy hopefully as in max budget
Denon 5000/7000
Hifiman 400

The 2400 might do it for you, but I haven't heard them yet.  The D2000 lacks mids and the sound stage is not great.  Both Beyers, especially the 990, are a bit light in the mids.  The Beyers are also on the bright side.

The Denons, especially the 7000, are good choices.  They are do fine in all frequencies; have solid bass; good clarity and their sound stage opens up when properly amped (especially the D7000).

Haven't heard the HifiMan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back