++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 4, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #20,851 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently use the Xonar DG and when I moved up from crappy earbuds and stock motherboard sound I was really blown away. Now it just seems like the new normal to me and my ears want to  bleed when I hear music from the integrated motherboard sound xD Can't speak for the DX however, DG is my first sound card. 

thing is, its more about gaming for me, but i guess that is affected too of course.
i'd like someone that actually owned the pc166 as well to tell me whether upgrading is worth it (i don't think they're really an audiophile's headset but it got recommended quite a bit to me back when i bought it)

also, could you recommend other sound cards that might be worth it (probably in between the price range of xonar dg and dx), or other headphones (probably up to 150€? ad700 is already fairly expensive for my taste ^^).

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #20,852 of 29,490
thing is, its more about gaming for me, but i guess that is affected too of course.
i'd like someone that actually owned the pc166 as well to tell me whether upgrading is worth it (i don't think they're really an audiophile's headset but it got recommended quite a bit to me back when i bought it)

also, could you recommend other sound cards that might be worth it (probably in between the price range of xonar dg and dx), or other headphones (probably up to 150€? ad700 is already fairly expensive for my taste ^^).

Of the Asus line, the DS/D1 fits in between the DG and DX. I can assure you that while playing BF3, if I'm paying attention footsteps can be heard with the DG. Also remember that it's not ALL soundcard, headphones play a large part too. To get prices in Euros I just used the French site (of Amazon).You said your limit was 150€ and the Sennheiser 360s are ~140€ with excellent reviews. If you purchase those with a Xonar DG/DS(orD1) then you'll be happy. Note that the Asus Xonar D_ series is designed with gaming in mind so don't think that they're specifically for music.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #20,853 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new here, and hopefully I am following the rules now and not annoying anyone. : ) Please tell me if I am.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones.

Budget: I thought I'd spend around $150, but I could go higher if I need to.

I'd use them most with my mp3-player (I've got an iRiver), but also with my computer and with my stereo.

I want headphones that enclose the ear and which are open. I dislike the sound of closed headphones, and I don't care about outside noise disturbing me, or other people being disturbed by what I listen to (I use low volumes anyway). I don't care what they look like, but I do care that they don't "squeeze" my head too tightly, because that gives me a headache.

Ideally they'd be sturdy--since I move around a lot while using them, I don't want an accidental tug on the cables to cause them to start getting "glitches" in the sound.

I do not listen to bass-heavy music. Mostly I listen to folk music of various kinds, especially music that does not have a constant mat of sound going on, but is rather open and sparse, if that makes sense? Like, just a voice and a guitar, or just a few instruments. For me, getting voices right is one of the most important things--I listen to a lot of vocal music. I like sound that is open and detailed and full and warm (er, I don't know any technical terms here, I'm just trying to describe my experience).

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #20,854 of 29,490
Quote:
Of the Asus line, the DS/D1 fits in between the DG and DX. 

Actually, the DX and the D1 are the same card. One is PCI-E, the other PCI, and the DX needs to be plugged directly to the power supply using a 4 pin connector. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #20,855 of 29,490
Hi guys, hope I'm posting this in the correct category.

I'm using a LX-3000 from Microsoft, but I want to buy something better. I usually listen to Classic and POP music, and also use it while gaming, I do not live in the US so the prices are a bit high here (Ex: Sennheiser HD650 for $2300).

These are the headphones I found in my city, with a not very high price:

- Sennheiser HD 202
- Shure SRH 440
- Shure SRH 240

I will only use it at home(PC), long periods of time though.

Obs: I only have a onboard sound card (Realtek 7.1 THX Tru Studio PC)

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #20,856 of 29,490
One simple question, how much is enough to spend on RCA cables for the best performance/price?
It's funny how Schiit $20 cables outperformed my $110 Chord CobraPlus and gives me the almost identical performance in sounds as my $200 Japanese cables. I was like What...

Also how good are "Audio Art" and "Black Rhodium".

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #20,858 of 29,490
I didn't say anything when the sound card question came up but should have. Guys this is the FULL SIZED HEADPHONE thread. I have provided links below for both of you guys that will hopefully help.

Of the Asus line, the DS/D1 fits in between the DG and DX. I can assure you that while playing BF3, if I'm paying attention footsteps can be heard with the DG. Also remember that it's not ALL soundcard, headphones play a large part too. To get prices in Euros I just used the French site (of Amazon).You said your limit was 150€ and the Sennheiser 360s are ~140€ with excellent reviews. If you purchase those with a Xonar DG/DS(orD1) then you'll be happy. Note that the Asus Xonar D_ series is designed with gaming in mind so don't think that they're specifically for music.

You will better find questions to your questions about sound cards and perhaps PC gaming headsets in thsi section of the forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/46/computer-audio

One simple question, how much is enough to spend on RCA cables for the best performance/price?
It's funny how Schiit $20 cables outperformed my $110 Chord CobraPlus and gives me the almost identical performance in sounds as my $200 Japanese cables. I was like What...

Also how good are "Audio Art" and "Black Rhodium".

You should be able to find information on your cables in this section of the forum.
http://www.head-fi.org/f/21/cables-power-tweaks-speakers-accessories-dbt-free-forum

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #20,860 of 29,490
Hi my Sony Xbr500s broke recently and I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I want them to be closed.
I use them mostly at home rarely portable.
I need them to be less then $100 but could go up to $150 if it's good enough.

Also does anyone know how hard it is to recable a pair of xb500s? I found a thread on it but he hasn't posted since then.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #20,861 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for:

best mids for under $300, Open, over-the-ear full size headphone - to use at basement home office.

I have not yet experienced bass detail - curious about it.

I thought I had wanted treble detail, but the KRK 8400's hurt (even after burn-in)

> many years ago, I owned Grado 125, and enjoyed them.... but, that was before I got into portable amps, I forget their sound..
> AKG's seem interesting, I recall thinking they had refined power, maybe less raw punch, maybe less of a monitor than I have been accustomed to, I don't know enough...
> Classic rock, (Zep), Jazz, Zappa, Steely Dan, Vocalists (Lambert Hendricks Ross, Ella, Tony Bennet) and some stupid disco.  I like separation and soundstage.

I own:
DT 770 Pro 80s - recessed mids
KRK KNS 8400 - treble is piercing, hurts my ears, harsh monitor.
ATH-50m - out at Jay's to be re-cabled for the past month...so, I kinda forget what they sound like.
JVC-S500 - my portable commuter cans.

At home I use either:

MBP > Schiit BiFrost > Denon CD Receiver UD-M31 > headphone
or
iPhone or iPad or iTouch  > HRT iStreamer > iBasso Warbler P4 > Headphone 

For great mids and bass under $300, the Ultrasone Pro 750 comes to mind.
It's an awesome hp, though somewhat coloured and closed.

Although I haven't tried it, based on its bigger brothers and reviews, the HiFiMan HE300 might be what you are looking for.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #20,863 of 29,490
so how well does AKG K81DJ fit a very, very large head?  i had the V-MODA M80 and it barely fit me when stretched to maximum.  the AKG Q460 didn't fit me at all (cups would only reach tops of my ears when fully extended).  any chance the K81DJs would fit me?  again my head is HUGE (maybe it's due to it being long vertically compared to width that is the problem, not sure).  thanks.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #20,864 of 29,490

I saw your question a couple days ago. I hope someone here can answer it. You must be a big dude! Maybe this forum needs a "big and tall" section :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back