++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #21,676 of 29,490
Quote:
buddy wants a set of cans for motown type music. 

i have no idea what to recommend. preferably closed, but not necessary. 

under 200 would be best. 

Thanks guys! 

The open Grado SR 225i is priced at $200.  The open Senn HD 558 can be had for $180 and under.

If you have to go closed, the Shure SRH 840 is good.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #21,677 of 29,490

the DT990's are looking pretty good right about now. 
confused.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #21,680 of 29,490
My search for my first audiophile purchase continues. I had a surprise last night when I got out my Sennheiser 201 headphones to give my self a reference point, after listen

ing for a little while I saw my Zoom H4 recorder on the desk and connected up as an audio interface and ran my 201's through it and was surprised out how much less muddy and more detailed it all sounded ( I didn't realise the muddiness was there until it went away).  Any way Senns 201s are my reference.

I am currently undecided what style of headphone I want but in each category it is getting reduced down. The senn 598's sound like they would be ideal if it wasn't for sound leakage (Whilst a good portion is at home I like to listen on trains and planes)

Full size : ATH M50 / Shure SRH840

vs

Portables : HD25-1 II 

vs

IEMs : GR07 or maybe Westone um2 (if the price is right)

Budget : £100 to £150 (up to £200 for amp/dac or the headphone itself if its better than a cheaper one with amp)

I am concerned about how much the sound quality is different between similarly priced IEM's and closed headphones?
What proportion should I spending on dac and amps?

I am a Jazz, classical (Piano,cello + orchestral),Acoustic Guitar(fingerstyle +singer/songwriter) Prog Rock listener.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #21,683 of 29,490
Howdy. Thinking of upgrading from my current ATH-AD700s. Using the headphone out from a decent integrated amp (Cambridge Azur) taking an analog in from an AudioGD DAC that's having bits streamed into it from my wireless network.

If I have any dissatisfaction with the AD700s, it's that the highs can sometimes seem a little harsh, although in some cases I may be hearing the limitations of the recording or the digital format (I am ashamed to admit to still having MP3s in my library; hey, early adopter here!). In general I enjoy them very much, but like I'm pretty sure everyone reading this, I'm always looking for that next increment of sound quality.

I listen to a variety of music and like a balanced, transparent, well-imaged sound. Audio heaven for me is listening to a recording of a small acoustic group and being able to place the instruments relative to each other in a wide and deep 3d space. Hearing the squeak of fingers on the guitar fingerboard distinct from the strum back at the soundhole. That sort of thing.

Not for gaming, movies, or portable use.

Thinking of spending on the order of $200-250, but that's not a hard ceiling.

At that price point, I've identified the Grado SR225i, AKG K-601, Sennheiser HD598, the ATH AD900, and the beyerdynamic DT880 as candidates. I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas regarding these and other options. Including the possibility that I'm kidding myself if I think I'm going to see a big difference moving up to this level, which I'm prepared to accept.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #21,684 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy. Thinking of upgrading from my current ATH-AD700s. Using the headphone out from a decent integrated amp (Cambridge Azur) taking an analog in from an AudioGD DAC that's having bits streamed into it from my wireless network.

If I have any dissatisfaction with the AD700s, it's that the highs can sometimes seem a little harsh, although in some cases I may be hearing the limitations of the recording or the digital format (I am ashamed to admit to still having MP3s in my library; hey, early adopter here!). In general I enjoy them very much, but like I'm pretty sure everyone reading this, I'm always looking for that next increment of sound quality.

I listen to a variety of music and like a balanced, transparent, well-imaged sound. Audio heaven for me is listening to a recording of a small acoustic group and being able to place the instruments relative to each other in a wide and deep 3d space. Hearing the squeak of fingers on the guitar fingerboard distinct from the strum back at the soundhole. That sort of thing.

Not for gaming, movies, or portable use.

Thinking of spending on the order of $200-250, but that's not a hard ceiling.

At that price point, I've identified the Grado SR225i, AKG K-601, Sennheiser HD598, the ATH AD900, and the beyerdynamic DT880 as candidates. I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas regarding these and other options. Including the possibility that I'm kidding myself if I think I'm going to see a big difference moving up to this level, which I'm prepared to accept.

Thanks in advance for your input!

You should not be getting harsh highs out of your 700 or the 900.  You probably don't like bright headphones.  In which case I can only recommend the HD 598 from your list (I have not heard the K 601).

You will benefit from upgrading your music files/source.  Again I'm not familar with your specific equipment that you feed with your MP3's.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #21,685 of 29,490
I started off considering the Sony MDR-1R and a few similar phones in that range (Momentums and K550's). Quickly found myself escalating to the higher-range headphone market. Things I've heard about the HE-400 have sounded very attractive. Things I value most is neutrality in the sound, openness, distinction in instrument separation, essentially qualities that sound closest to live music (haven't familiarized myself as much as I should with the glossary of sound descriptions yet). Then again, I've also heard things about the HE-400 sounding shrill or sibilant when combined with certain set ups. Also that it is mellow and someone base oriented. Qualities I am most certainly not looking for. I'm easily off put by 'phones with too much emphasis in the upper register, or colored to any particular sound. Are the HE-500's extra $300 in price for someone like me? Mostly listen to all varieties of rock, instrumental hip hop, some electronic music, blues, jazz, bluegrass and very little pop. I'm open to most genres though so it's important the headphone be flexible. I'm considering the JSD O2+ODAC and NuForce HDP. How well do the HE-400/500 pair with those amps? Can anyone recommend one of those amps over the other? I should also note my source is my Stanton TT + ART phono amp & Dell Laptop mostly 320kbps MP3 tracks some FLAC coming in the near future too.

tl;dr
Considering HE-400 or HE-500 - under what qualities and circumstances should someone pay $300 more for the 500?
Looking at the JSD O2+ODAC and NuForce anyone done an A/B of these, or have any comments on their quality? Better yet with the Hifimans I'm looking at?
Any other amp/ DAC combos I should consider for the <$450 price range?

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #21,686 of 29,490
Quote:
I started off considering the Sony MDR-1R and a few similar phones in that range (Momentums and K550's). Quickly found myself escalating to the higher-range headphone market. Things I've heard about the HE-400 have sounded very attractive. Things I value most is neutrality in the sound, openness, distinction in instrument separation, essentially qualities that sound closest to live music (haven't familiarized myself as much as I should with the glossary of sound descriptions yet). Then again, I've also heard things about the HE-400 sounding shrill or sibilant when combined with certain set ups. Also that it is mellow and someone base oriented. Qualities I am most certainly not looking for. I'm easily off put by 'phones with too much emphasis in the upper register, or colored to any particular sound. Are the HE-500's $300 for someone like me? Mostly listen to all varieties of rock, instrumental hip hop, some electronic music, blues, jazz, bluegrass and very little pop. I'm open to most genres though so it's important the headphone be flexible. I'm considering the JSD O2+ODAC and NuForce HDP. How well do the HE-400/500 pair with those amps? Can anyone recommend one of those amps over the other? I should also note my source is my Stanton TT + ART phono amp & Dell Laptop mostly 320kbps MP3 tracks some FLAC coming in the near future too.

tl;dr
Considering HE-400 or HE-500 - are the HE-500 what qualities and circumstances should someone pay $300 for the 500?
Looking at the JSD O2+ODAC and NuForce anyone done an A/B of these, or have any comments on their quality? Better yet with the Hifimans I'm looking at?

HE-500 for $300?
eek.gif
, do you mean used HE-500 maybe?

A Lot of people consider the HE-500 is an excellent choice for its price ($699) including myself, it can hold up against $1000 headphones in terms of sound quality

For Amp/Dac combo get the original Dacport or ODAC+Asgard perhaps

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #21,687 of 29,490
Quote:

HE-500 for $300?
eek.gif

A Lot of people consider the HE-500 is an excellent choice for its price ($699) including myself, it can hold up against $1000 headphones in terms of sound quality

wow, lots of mistakes in that post. my apologies. just goes to show how scatter brained I am after all the research I've been doing... hopefully my edit makes it a bit clearer, meant to say the extra $300 over the HE-400. How would the HE-400 and HE-500 compare considering my music choice and amp/ dac budget? I would not be upgrading any aspect of this rig for quite a while so I'm going to make sure it's top notch (for the money I'm spending).

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #21,688 of 29,490
Quote:
wow, lots of mistakes in that post. my apologies. just goes to show how scatter brained I am after all the research I've been doing... hopefully my edit makes it a bit clearer, meant to say the extra $300 over the HE-400. How would the HE-400 and HE-500 compare considering my music choice and amp/ dac budget? I would not be upgrading any aspect of this rig for quite a while so I'm going to make sure it's top notch (for the money I'm spending).

No prob
redface.gif

Well both HE-400 and HE-500 is an excellent headphones, they got their own unique sound. With your music choice and amp/ dac budget you should go with the HE-400 because of it's efficiencies, but if you can get the Dacport or even Dacport+Asgard then you should get the HE-500 it would give you more neutral sound compared to the HE-400

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #21,689 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I started off considering the Sony MDR-1R and a few similar phones in that range (Momentums and K550's). Quickly found myself escalating to the higher-range headphone market. Things I've heard about the HE-400 have sounded very attractive. Things I value most is neutrality in the sound, openness, distinction in instrument separation, essentially qualities that sound closest to live music (haven't familiarized myself as much as I should with the glossary of sound descriptions yet). Then again, I've also heard things about the HE-400 sounding shrill or sibilant when combined with certain set ups. Also that it is mellow and someone base oriented. Qualities I am most certainly not looking for. I'm easily off put by 'phones with too much emphasis in the upper register, or colored to any particular sound. Are the HE-500's $300 for someone like me? Mostly listen to all varieties of rock, instrumental hip hop, some electronic music, blues, jazz, bluegrass and very little pop. I'm open to most genres though so it's important the headphone be flexible. I'm considering the JSD O2+ODAC and NuForce HDP. How well do the HE-400/500 pair with those amps? Can anyone recommend one of those amps over the other? I should also note my source is my Stanton TT + ART phono amp & Dell Laptop mostly 320kbps MP3 tracks some FLAC coming in the near future too.

tl;dr
Considering HE-400 or HE-500 - are the HE-500 what qualities and circumstances should someone pay $300 for the 500?

HE-500 for $300?
eek.gif

He said $300 more than the HE 400.  That is correct.

I recommend that you find a place that carries HiFiMan and listen to both.  My read is that you don't have a great deal of experience in this neighborhood.  Especially in such circumstances, there is no substitute for some ear time with the cans you are considering.

Can't help you with the DAC, but the Asgard represents the minimum level of amps that are powerful enough to drive the HE 500.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #21,690 of 29,490
Quote:

No prob
redface.gif

Well both HE-400 and HE-500 is an excellent headphones, they got their own unique sound. With your music choice and amp/ dac budget you should go with the HE-400 because of it's efficiencies, but if you can get the Dacport or even Dacport+Asgard then you should get the HE-500 it would give you more neutral sound compared to the HE-400

what about the asgard & odac combo you recommended earlier, how would that pair up with the HE-500? the more i read about it the more i think i would like to pursue that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back