++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #27,917 of 29,490
Quote:
Are those all on-ear? I was looking for over-ear ones to use at home as they would be more comfortable.

I dunno how much you are into the idea of modding, but I would agree with the Grado recommendation and since you want over-ear and massive soundstage, I recommend looking into the Alessandro MS1000 mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #27,918 of 29,490
Quote:

Except for the first two (I don't know much about the AD900X), these headphones are all pretty different. DT880's are open and considered neutral, M-100's are closed and considered basshead cans, and the Q701 is open and bright. What are you using them for?

I will be using them for music and movies. I have an E11 so impedance is no problem. 

Genres: Electronic (Dubstep, House, Techno, Drum and Bass) and Hip-Hop.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #27,919 of 29,490
I will be using them for music and movies. I have an E11 so impedance is no problem. 

With the bass boost on the E11, you can get some good extra bass response out of the DT880s for those genres and have some solid bass presence. If you are more of a basshead, look into the DT990 pro 250 ohm (cheaper than the DT880 pro at the moment on Amazon) which has more bass than the DT880s.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #27,920 of 29,490
Quote:

V Moda M-100's all the way. Phenomenal headphone in multiple categories: bass response, comfort, durability, etc.

Plus, they are closed and very portable.

EDIT: If you are more inclined to watch movies than listen to the music you mentioned, go for the DT990's as cel4145 recommended.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #27,921 of 29,490
V Moda M-100's all the way. Phenomenal headphone in multiple categories: bass response, comfort, durability, etc.

Not "all the way." It really depends on whether or not someone wants the bass heavily emphasized over other frequencies, and that's very much a personal preference. Here is the frequency response measurement for the M100s:

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #27,922 of 29,490
Quote:

Appreciate the help!
Just one more thing, are the M-100's as detailed as the DT880's? (since they both have a good amount of bass)

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #27,923 of 29,490
Quote:
With the bass boost on the E11, you can get some good extra bass response out of the DT880s for those genres and have some solid bass presence. If you are more of a basshead, look into the DT990 pro 250 ohm (cheaper than the DT880 pro at the moment on Amazon) which has more bass than the DT880s.

Thanks for the help but im not really a basshead. If i was i would make the m-100's my #1 priority here.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #27,924 of 29,490
Q701...is my pick for accuracy n detail....
K550 would be the closed can option. :)

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #27,925 of 29,490
Thanks for the help but im not really a basshead. If i was i would make the m-100's my #1 priority here.

In that case, the DT880s would be the better choice over the M-100s. I also like listening to EDM and hip hop, and they do very well for that for people that don't want overemphasized bass.They are also some of the most comfortable headphones you can buy. Q701s are also considered to be a comparable headphone in terms of clarity and detail (I have not heard them), although a little less bass.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #27,926 of 29,490
Quote:
Not "all the way." It really depends on whether or not someone wants the bass heavily emphasized over other frequencies, and that's very much a personal preference. Here is the frequency response measurement for the M100s:

Frequency response doesn't tell you everything about the headphone, and it certainly doesn't speak for clarity. Granted, the other 'phones he mentioned are considered very clear, it doesn't change the fact that you are recommending DT880's for someone who listens to movies and EDM. If he didn't mention needing them for movies, the M-100's just make the most sense. Then again, I'm not the type of person to rely on equalizers.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #27,927 of 29,490
Bumping this so it doesn't get lost!
Quote:
Hey I've been a silent reader on these forums and am looking for some help as I'm far too confused at this point!

I'm looking for a set of headphones within the $300-400 range.  I have a marantz pm5003, which I'm pretty sure I can use as an amp at home, but I'd need something portable that hopefully would be included in that budget that would work well with my iPod/iPhone.

In terms of how/where I'd be using the headphones, I will use them more on-the-go while on the train, walking to class etc, etc.  That being said I'll also want something great for home listening, particularly for vinyl through my pm5003.

I've had Bose QC3s, QC15s, and a set of Beats Studios, hated the Beats liked the Bose stuff, but still haven't found "the set".  I listen to a pretty diverse set of music from The Beatles, to Metallica, to Radiohead, to Bhangra music, to Daft Punk, to acoustic John Mayer, etc.  Definitely more rock orientated, but I'd like a set that can handle a wide variety of music...this was the main problem with the headphones I've previously owned.  A good soundstage is also important.

Thus far, I've gone to some local stores here and got some advice.  I was told a closed pair of headphones would be better if I'm not listening at my house.  Of the headphones I've tried so far (B&W P5, PSB M4U2, Grado 2/325i) I liked the Denon AH-D1100, but wasn't completely sold because they felt a little flimsy to me.  It should also be noted that I tried the Grado headphones without an amp and I felt they needed to be driven, so perhaps I should try them again?  The guy at the store I went to said he'd only recommend them for home listening.

Clearly, I still have a lot to learn and try...I've read great things about the Mad Dog headphones and am considering those combined with a DAC and Amp (I've heard the Schiit ones pair well), but alas I can't test any of that stuff before I buy it.  Others I've read good things about are the V-Moda M-100 and Sennheiser HD 598..but I'm really open to anything, any thoughts?  Would really appreciate some suggestions, thanks guys!

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #27,928 of 29,490
. . . the M-100's just make the most sense. Then again, I'm not the type of person to rely on equalizers.

No it doesn't. It depends on the person and their personal listening preferences. xkonfuzed has already indicated he is not a basshead, and he might be very satisfied with the DT880s without any EQ. But if he wants extra bass, he has his E11 to boost the bass. However, the E11 cannot REDUCE the bass if the M-100s are too bass heavy for him.

Frequency response doesn't tell you everything about the headphone, and it certainly doesn't speak for clarity.

I made no claims about superior clarity, so I'm not certain why this is relevant. I've only briefly listened to the M-100s, so I wouldn't try to say which has better clarity.

That being said, the Beyer headphones definitely win out over the M-100s on two factors: comfort and soundstage.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #27,929 of 29,490
Quote:
Bumping this so it doesn't get lost!

If you are going to be on the go, any open headphone (ie Grado) wouldn't be good for you. With your wide range of music tastes, I think the Mad Dog would suit you well. It is a very neutral (semi)closed headphone. I have a pair of T50RP's that I modded myself (DBV #3 mod in BMF's Fostex modding thread) and I am in love with them. Since you are accustomed to noise cancelling, you might want to look into the UE6000's. InnerFidelity gave them outstanding reviews and they have active noise cancellation (and apparently an awesome soundstage).

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #27,930 of 29,490
Quote:
No it doesn't. It depends on the person and their personal listening preferences. xkonfuzed has already indicated he is not a basshead, and he might be very satisfied with the DT880s without any EQ. But if he wants extra bass, he has his E11 to boost the bass. However, the E11 cannot REDUCE the bass if the M-100s are too bass heavy for him.
I made no claims about superior clarity, so I'm not certain why this is relevant. I've only briefly listened to the M-100s, so I wouldn't try to say which has better clarity.

Agreed. If you are claiming to not be a basshead, the M100 makes absolutely no sense for that person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back