++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #28,712 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Personally I wouldn't go for it, seeing as the d2ks used to retail for under 300. The d2k also has rather poor build quality compared to many others in this price range.

Yeah i also saw some threads that said they were under 300, that's why i asked if it is worth it.

I want to decide between Akg K550, DT770 Pro (at 250$ each) and Denon D2000 for some gaming and i want something closed mostly because i like to stay up at night and don't like to disturb my room-mate and i also hate outside noises when i play.

I already have my perfect cans for music, Grado SR80i so i wanted something closed with a good soundstage and these were the ones i found that are best.

But i really don't know what to get.

In that case don't get the D2000.  They don't isolate especially well and are not great for preventing leaking of what you are listening to the outside world.  Further--for gaming use I don't see how they are worth the extra money.

May 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #28,713 of 29,490
Quote:
In that case don't get the D2000.  They don't isolate especially well and are not great for preventing leaking of what you are listening to the outside world.  Further--for gaming use I don't see how they are worth the extra money.

Ah i see, thank you for the advice. I was considering the bigger price because i have read that they have a good positioning and soundstage, but if you say it isn't worth it then i guess i'll get something cheaper.

May 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #28,715 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I got Sennheiser HD 598 few days ago and I will get FiiO e17 amp few days later. These are awesome, but I immediately noticed that I need also closed headphones for day time use, studying etc. I was thinking going for little cheaper than HD 598. 

I was thinking of ATH-M50, and I started to search headphones in same price category. I found AKG K-550. Friend recommended K 273 and even more cheaper K-272 HD. Isolation is of course quite important. Sound does not have to be similar to HD 598. I actually would like to have them little more bass heavy than my HD 598 so I can use them with different kind of music and for more immersion in games. DT-770 lands to this category also, but from what I hear they might be too bass heavy for my music taste and for gaming.

Any thoughts?

So I did some research and I found out that there is these awesome heapdhone, A900x. Does anyone have any experience about A900X? How good is isolation, soundstage, etc? I am mostly interested how do they compare to ATH-M50 as it is still my primary target. I can actually get A900x cheaper than M50..

Edit2: Scratch that. I have come to conclusion that A900x is better than M50. Lets compare A900x and K 550. Which has better isolation and which has better soundstage?

Edit: Had mixed AD900x and A900x.. 

May 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #28,716 of 29,490
Quote:
Need a CLOSED headphone for home/work use. Portability is a plus.

- Budget: $500 max, <300 ideal, used/refurb is fine
- Easily driven without an amp (MacBook, iPhone)
- Comfortable for long sessions (3+ hours)
- Deep, punchy bass. I listen to a lot of EDM.
- Clear mids, unharsh highs

Here are some headphones I've tried and some things I liked or didn't like about them. Perhaps my best option is already among these but I want to consider every option to find the perfect phone.

Hifiman HE-400: heavy, too little bass, boring sounding, painfully sharp highs.

Ultrasone 900: too much upper mid bass (makes acoustic music muddy), probably too much bass in general, mids too recessed

AKG 550: similar to he-400 (very flat EQ, not enough bass)

Denon AH-D600: very bassy (maybe ever so slightly too much) but better than Ultrasone, mids slightly too recessed, nice highs, very wide soundstage, mic, comfortable ear pads, too loose fitting on the head.

Sennheiser Momentum: probably the best contender so far, perfect sound for me (balanced sound with accentuated bass, good sub bass, fun), light, stylish, mic, on ear design uncomfortable after long sessions, narrower soundstage but still decent, more portable.

Basically I want a true circumaural Momentum. Is there a way to change the ear pads? Otherwise bring on other suggestions. Many thanks.

Bump

May 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #28,717 of 29,490
May 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #28,718 of 29,490
Quote:

How about the ATH-WS99? It's bassy by design and other people's impressions suggest that the mids are less recessed than the Pro 900. I haven't come across any posts that mention fatiguing highs, either. I believe it's marketed as being reasonably portable for a circumaural pair. I haven't tried it and it does seem a little rare around here in terms of ownership, but it's what popped into my head when reading your criteria.

May 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #28,722 of 29,490
Ok, here goes, long time lurker, first time poster. 

budget: $300~ (inc. shipping preferably)
source: asus xonar essence stx
usage: music (http://www.last.fm/user/bek_), gaming, movies
current: alessandro ms-1i

what i'm deciding between: Beyerdynamic: DT880pro, Beyerdynamic: DT770pro

A. Between those cans, what would be the best option based off my needs/music selection and source? 
B. Am i neglecting any other superb cans within that price range?

I initially was keen on AD900 due to owning a pair of AD700's, but would prefer build quality as 2nd to comfort. Hence the narrowing to the Beyer models as I believe they're far superior in that respect. 

May 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #28,724 of 29,490
Quote:
QUICK question...

dt770.... 80 ohm vs 32 ohm.  easy to drive-ness level of each?
through iphone5 or macbook pro..

Assuming that the sensitivity rating is the same for each (which I would expect from the the same make and model of can), then the can with the lower Ohm rating is easier to drive.

May 19, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #28,725 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, here goes, long time lurker, first time poster. 

budget: $300~ (inc. shipping preferably)
source: asus xonar essence stx
usage: music (http://www.last.fm/user/bek_), gaming, movies
current: grado ms-1

what i'm deciding between: Beyerdynamic: DT880pro, Beyerdynamic: DT770pro

A. Between those cans, what would be the best option based off my needs/music selection and source? 
B. Am i neglecting any other superb cans within that price range?

I initially was keen on AD900 due to owning a pair of AD700's, but would prefer build quality as 2nd to comfort. Hence the narrowing to the Beyer models as I believe they're far superior in that respect. 

You know that these cans have very different sound signatures--right?  The DT 880 is neutral and highly regard audiophile class can.  The DT 770 is a favorite of basshead lites and has recessed mids.

BTW--I assume your current can is the Alessandro MS-1 (or 1i), which is based upon the SR 80 (+/- i) but is not a Grado can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back