Fun, forgiving headphones
Apr 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #16 of 32
  FWIW I never found my HD600 or 650 all that detail retrieving or revealing.  I hear more "stuff" with my RS1 and K701.  But thats what I like about the senns... particularly the HD650 its a very smooth, soothing headphone to listen to.  In terms of detail reveal-abilities the 650 is right in the middle of the pack in my collection.

When I think fun and forgiving... thats the Grado SR sound.  Pick one in your price range.  The 60 and 225 I think are the sweet spots in the SR lineup.

I agree that the Grado sound is lots of fun, but I wouldn't characterize it as "forgiving"
(...and I love my SR225i's).

"Fun and forgiving" headphones, per the OP:

Sennheiser Amperior, 
and
+1 on the Philips X1.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #17 of 32
Grado fan for life. If you wear them properly, they can be a great pair of headphones for extended listening sessions. A young Chris once took a listen to a pair of Kramer's Grado RS-1's and became hooked and later morphed into a terrible being of power on Head-Fi.. but thats another story.

It's fun and it's forgiving in the sense that it doesn't require much in the way of a source or amp regardless of which one you own, and that it doesn't take itself too seriously by trying yet another neutral presentation. It's bright, energetic, and has a really good midrange to keep you engaged in your music. I've had nearly the entirely lineup all these years and if you don't like them, Amazon takes returns although I wouldn't abuse this policy.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #18 of 32
Not true. Powered correctly are some of the most engaging headphones I've ever put on. I work for a dealer. Mostly stereo experience but whenever I'm at audio shows I always stop in the headphone room for a lil education.

Absolutely true on the 650... With the right amp they sing. My millet hybrid was voiced by its builder for the hd 580/600. Its a very edgy and "shout-ey" sounding circuit with akgs and grados. Many in the "wire with gain" crowd would probably consider this amp flawed. Ive also heard an m^3 that was voiced for the hd650. It had similar characteristics as my millet.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #19 of 32
Yeah i think "forgiving" was a bad choice of words on my part. With the wrong amp they aren't very pleasant... Imho. Although the re-voiced "i" models i think are more forgiving than their predecessors, slightly.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #20 of 32
To me I find the RS1 to be a little on the lite side of things where as the Senns 650 just hold better to the ears, provide a fuller sound without any sacrifice of losing your precious "detail"

Smooth, full bodied, relaxing but engaging and exciting throughout. Some of the best I've ever heard. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #21 of 32
Absolutely true on the 650... With the right amp they sing. My millet hybrid was voiced by its builder for the hd 580/600. Its a very edgy and "shout-ey" sounding circuit with akgs and grados. Many in the "wire with gain" crowd would probably consider this amp flawed. Ive also heard an m^3 that was voiced for the hd650. It had similar characteristics as my millet.

I was agreeing. 650 all day. I'm looking to get rid of my RS1 now. Powered by a Cary CAD 300 sei.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 32
Sweet, looks like I've got some options!

Thanks for the help, everyone 
smile.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #24 of 32
Not true. Powered correctly are some of the most engaging headphones I've ever put on. I work for a dealer. Mostly stereo experience but whenever I'm at audio shows I always stop in the headphone room for a lil education.

I agree.  My 600's can become quite detailed with the right recording and amp.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 32
  Sweet, looks like I've got some options!

Thanks for the help, everyone 
smile.gif

One last audition to try,  I spent some time with my friend's Senn Momentums, and they were very nice sounding "all around" headphones.  Well made, rich bass, and no sibilant treble.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 32
Grados are fun (though not in the V-shaped sense) and Sennheisers are forgiving, but neither is both.

If you like bass, M100 is both fun because it has drive and forgiving in some sense because it's somewhat dark.

If you're simply looking for something in the middle, SRH840 is a good all rounder or maybe you'd like one of the Fostex mods such as ZMF or MrSpeakers.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 32
Why not try Martin Logan Mikros 90s? Newegg sells for 59-79 dollars. Beautifully assembled, really balanced sound and a killer value. Plus, very comfortable. Sounds great with my fiio e11.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 32
Why not try Martin Logan Mikros 90s? Newegg sells for 59-79 dollars. Beautifully assembled, really balanced sound and a killer value. Plus, very comfortable. Sounds great with my fiio e11.

Fun, but I wouldn't call them forgiving. They actually have a good deal in common with Grados (insofar as a closed model can have).

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #29 of 32
  If you like bass, M100 is both fun because it has drive and forgiving in some sense because it's somewhat dark.

Agreed. The mids of the M-100 are even more recessed than the M-50, though, so OP should take this into consideration as he/she sold the former because of that very flaw.

OP, if you're willing to stretch your budget a little bit, I like the new Shure SRH-1540 very much. I had them at the same time as the Grado SR-225i, and shortly after I owned the M-50 and M-100, and preferred the Shures by a very large margin. They're fun and bassy, and they're also easy to drive, so no additional amplification is necessary (although it doesn't hurt).

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #30 of 32
Fun, but I wouldn't call them forgiving. They actually have a good deal in common with Grados (insofar as a closed model can have).

A very refined grado :)
With a solid bassss!
Reunited with my mikros again:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back