Fun Sounding, Fun Looking, Very Comfortable On-Ear Headphones for my Wife
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EagleWings

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I want to buy my wife a nice pair of on-ear headphones.

Style: On-Ear Closed Back

Budget: $100

Sound: Warm, Smooth, Fun and Good SQ

Comfort: The most IMPORTANT aspect. The only kind of ear-pads she finds comfortable is the flat pads like the one on the Grado SR60s and SR80s. Nice, soft and plush sponge pads. I know SR80e is a good choice but she may not like it for it's design and looks.

So I want to see if there are other choices with good sound that look modern or cool. 

Thanks for your help!

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi there,
I've no real experience with on-ears, but some general advice:
  1. You could start by checking top rated and popular on-ear headphone reviews on the internet, namely (but not limited to) head-fi and specifically innerfidelity's hall of fame. Then narrow it down by sound reviews, looks/design and price/deals.
  2. Look above your target price as there's always a chance for some crazy deals (like this one).
  3. Concrete suggestions (can't advice on their comfort though..):
    1. How about a Sennheiser momentum on-ear (1st gen) which look classy and should sound nice?
    2. Or a slightly more modern (but plastic looking) Sennheiser Urbanite?
    3. Or, if looks are not that important, Sennheiser HD239?

Best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif
M.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 9
  Hello,

I want to buy my wife a nice pair of on-ear headphones.

Style: On-Ear Closed Back

Budget: $100

Sound: Warm, Smooth, Fun and Good SQ

Comfort: The most IMPORTANT aspect. The only kind of ear-pads she finds comfortable is the flat pads like the one on the Grado SR60s and SR80s. Nice, soft and plush sponge pads. I know SR80e is a good choice but she may not like it for it's design and looks.

So I want to see if there are other choices with good sound that look modern or cool. 

Thanks for your help!

Vish that's awesome that your buying your Wife a Pair of Headphones! I think she'll love the Logitech UE 6000. It has two listening modes, active and passive. Your Passive mode is more warm an transparent, an your active mode features a darker sound. An I personally think it's very stylish my self, an It's much more comfortable than any of the Grado Style Pads so comfort's no issue. 

Price wise they range any where from $60 to $90

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for your recommendations. I did look at all these places for the on-ears. The problem is all modern and cool looking headphones like the urbanite and momentums have a cup design and not a flat pad like the Grados. The typically high rated on-ears have the cup design too. The flat pad designs look boring. UE6000 is a Over-Ear design. Or is there an on-ear design too?

Sennheisers with the Cup design

Grados with Flat Pad design

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 9
I now get what you mean by flat.

How about the Philips Fidelio M1 (white/black-orange/black)? They seem to fit.

You should read some reviews (just keep in mind that there are M1MKII now as well which look similar, but are a new and more expensive model), but in general the fidelio line of products has received a very positive response (I personally own the X2 over-ears and they're incredible for their price - not sure how the on-ear counterparts fare though).

M.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Glad to be of help, I hope she likes them (if you decide to get them)
smily_headphones1.gif

I assume you've read the reviews around the web.

One of the reviews here on head-fi suggests that the stock cable is problematic and may need to be replaced.
I'm not a cable guy and find most cable talk laughable (no offense), but in this particular case I suggest to keep this in mind and experiment replacing the cable with any other you have - as fidelio X1 featured a slightly higher impedance cable that affected the signature of the phones in a mostly negative way (this was fixed in fidelio X2 - you can find more info about this issue in the X1 threads).

M.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 9
The M1 is comfortable among On-Ear headphones. They are also pretty solid.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9

I'm not a cable guy and find most cable talk laughable (no offense), but in this particular case I suggest to keep this in mind and experiment replacing the cable with any other you have - as fidelio X1 featured a slightly higher impedance cable that affected the signature of the phones in a mostly negative way (this was fixed in fidelio X2 - you can find more info about this issue in the X1 threads).

Well, I don't think the cable should be a problem initially, as this will be her first good pair of headphones. May be as time goes by we can find a replacement. 

The M1 is comfortable among On-Ear headphones. They are also pretty solid.

That's reassuring. Thank you. 

I think I am going to go ahead with the M1 then. Thank you all for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back