(Gaming) Getting new headphones/equipment: Worth it for me?
Nov 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fuerchter

New Head-Fier
(this is a repost of a thread i made in the video games section. as this forum seems to be way more active I thought of posting it here instead now, I hope I'm not violating the forum rules ^^)

Hi there,
I've had a Sennheiser PC166 for quite some time now and typically used it with its USB soundcard as I only have onboard yet.

I'm thinking about upgrading my equipment but I'm not sure whether the stuff i've sought out is superior to what I'm currently using.

I'm not planning on going for a full scale upgrade (which as i've been reading would be something like the xonar essence stx with like 300€+ headphones? ^^). I'd prefer to instead go from somewhere between like 85-200€ total?

So I found from Mad Lust Envy's gaming guide that the Creative Aurvana Live apparently rules for the price it's worth (and it's currently only 52€ where I'm at?). Did anyone here use the PC166 before and/or can anybody compare the two?

Besides that I'm also considering getting a soundcard but again rather low or mid-end. I've seen the xonar dg get a lot of praise (and it would only cost me 35€), but it seems the dx is very good as well (costing twice the price though!)? How do they differ (except one being PCI and one being PCI-e)? Would an upgrade from my onboard Realtek chip make a difference?

Also please try not to answer in a too technical fashion (or if you use certain terms try to explain them ^^) as I am basically a noob on this terrain, I would just like to improve my gaming experience a bit (as far as directional hearing and such goes) :wink:
greetings

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Or can anyone recommend anything else gaming-wise (headphones probably below 150€, the ad700 is exactly 150€ and was mentioned a lot but i think thats a bit too expensive already, soundcards below 100€? i need more information as far as sound cards go also barely have any clue what makes a good sound card :S)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back