Gaming laptop brand recommendations
Apr 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 49
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll check these brands out.

EDIT: I know this is off topic and kinda random but I like your location status IIIIIIIIIIIIIII (long name lol) "At My Computer" that's pretty funny.

May 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 49
I recommend that you don't spend a lot on a gaming laptop as laptops are hard to upgrade, and you pay a lot of money for a realistically low performance piece of tech, that is expensive to fix and hard to upgrade. Optimally I'd get a desktop for gaming but again portability is a luxury people are willing to pay for. But if you do decide to get on, look into places like Tiger Direct. Try to avoid anything that's got a lot of "bells and whistles" try to get a product that has just the performance that you desire. Not things that make it look cool, as those equate to more money being spent! I wouldn't shop on Name Brand sites either, and by all means avoid Alien Ware.... Alien ware is always over priced and your paying for the name brand not performance. Lastly, know what your needs are. That being said look into what games your going to play and what specs they require. Then do some research on the performance of each laptop your buying. Look at what processor they have, you might not need 4 cores, in addition look at the Video cards in them, most Laptop Video cards are specified as XXXXX(m) m standing for mirco. Just understand what you need and what you can live without, that way you can get the most for your money. And don't buy Alien Ware!

May 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 49
I'd definitely look into Asus, they make some very nice stuff for reasonable prices.  Alienware is usually overpriced, but they do occasionally have deals as well.

If you're ok with getting an HP laptop, they actually have a pretty decent deal on one of their 15" laptops right now.  Usually I wouldn't recommend HP because for whatever reason they only put mid grade graphics cards in their systems, even in their premium line of laptops.  However, this one has a newer upper-mid tier card that is actually fairly decent.  It should definitely be enough for the average gamer playing on a single screen, although if you were one of those hardcore people that have triple monitors you probably wouldn't be looking for a laptop. 
It also has one of the new Intel Ivy Bridge processors which is always nice

i7-3610QM, 8gb ram, NVIDIA GT 650M, it's 1k after 400 off with the coupon code NBY3752, pretty decent in my opinion although it is an HP laptop

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7152937&aoid=35252

May 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 49
Thanks for the advice Mshenay and sari0n. And yes I know that desktops would be better for gaming than a laptop but portability is something that I want. And yeah sari0n I'm not one of those people who would be using multiple screens when they are gaming.

May 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

i7-3610QM, 8gb ram, NVIDIA GT 650M, it's 1k after 400 off with the coupon code NBY3752, pretty decent in my opinion although it is an HP laptop

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7152937&aoid=35252

Yea that's not bad, and $400 makes it even nicer. To make it even cheaper see if they have additional options for it, like maybe down grading the sound card or the internal HDD space, do what ever ya can do save money...

And that's good that your not planning to use multiple moitors.

But yea portability is nice,

I'd give you more specifc advice with regards to preocessors, graphics cards and what not but my information is out dated I know xD Last time I looked into Computers was like 18 months ago... and I know that by now sadly, technology has advance byound the reaserach I did lol.

I will say this... I like Intel Processors and AMD Graphics Cards... which I think is funny ;3

May 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:
Go all in, get that Razer one. 

buy a gaming laptop caitiously because as you said
 technology advances fast and you can't really upgrade a laptop... so buy what you need and save up for a desktop [becuse for the most part you can keep them upgraded as you feel the need]

When you start playing better games you'll hit a wall with your laptop and that sucks... espically if you've put ALOT of money into one xD [I almost made that mistake e.e]

But it's a nice set up, again I'd look and see if you need the 2GB card, you might be able to slip away with the 1gb GDR, in addition there is the lower resultion Screen. Granted high res is nice but for -$150 I might just take the lower resulution one my self! You've got my curious :D I might just do some snooping around my self now ^^ 

May 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:
Is Toshiba Qosmio a good gaming laptop ?

I see the word Toshiba and my gut instic is to say... maybe not >.>

but I looked over the specs and I'm sure it's just fine for gaming, although that 3D graphics card seems a bit unessicary... so for me "good" when it comes to a gaming laptop, means maxuim bang for my buck seeing as I can't upgrade that laptop...

So yea It's good performance wise [and I looked at the X775-3DV80] but again is it a good value. No point in spending 1000+ unless your really getting your money worth, as with $1000 you could build a desktop with proably 2-3x more performance that a $1000 laptop...

May 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 49
In most cases, what makes a laptop suitable for gaming is the video card.  The processor and RAM are important as well, but you really only need a mid grade one that are sufficiently powerful. Nearly all of the time, the video card is what's going to be bottlenecking your gaming on a laptop so that's what I would look for first.  Depending on what company makes the laptop, higher end gaming cards may be uncommon or impossible to find.  For instance, with HP, even with customizing the specs on your laptop, you simply won't be able to find a high end card.
Some other things to watch out for are the case and the screen.  Gaming usually generates a lot of heat, so a case with good airflow and cooling design are important.  If you are going to be gaming only on the laptop without another screen, it's often very nice to have a 1920x1080 screen as well.

When people ask for gaming laptops, I usually assume they want to play games maxed out on 1080p resolution with high fps.  If you don't want to do that, then there isn't really any need to get a specialized "gaming laptop".  The laptop I use right now is fairly powerful, with an i7 and a mid grade ati 5650.  I can run all games that are out right now smoothly on low to mid settings, but I definitely wouldn't consider my laptop anything close to a gaming one.  If you really want something that powerful you're going to have to pay 1k+ without a doubt.  Otherwise, you should just go with one of the standard i7 + 8gb ram +decent dedicated graphics card laptops that are always floating around for ~$600 - $800, because they'll have no trouble playing any game out there on less than max settings.

May 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 49
I have a HP DV 7. Some 2670 quad CPU? and Ati 6670 videocard. A bit more powerful then a GTS 540 2gig. 6 gig RAM 

I must say you pay a huge amount of money for crappy performance. I would rather run a desktop at home and them some vita or something on the go. I am fine with my ipod touch though for portable gaming. I don´t want to run serious games on my laptop at all if I can help it even though you can get most games running with heavy sacrifices. But it´s just a waste of money to pay the extra dollar because then you end up paying more then 4x as much as for a stationary. And still not getting the same performance particularly if you overclock :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back