Gaming Sound
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

1chi

New Head-Fier
Forgive me please as im new here but would greatly appreciate any feedback that is constructive

Id like some help if anyone is willing to provide some insight- anyways sort of working on a budget here but lets assume anything totalling less than $700 is fine for entire package.

The use will be primarily gaming some music and though id consider myself an audiophile i do not have the equipment nor have i ever really. That said i am an avid gamer with a lot of experience and aim to play competitively professionally. If possible id like to serve both my audio quality and accuracy/stage needs. I had been thinking the akg k550s since i could get those for a discount however after reading a thread by mad lust envy i have been leaning more towards the k702 should i be able to get them. I was then thinking of getting a xfi titanium fatal1ty pro pci express card with headphone amp (3.5mm :frowning2: connection i think ) or the recon3d with same although ive read some negative reviews and comments regarding processing or the new Zxr with 129 snr and 1/4" amped headphone plug. Id like to go that route as it keep costs down for everything by having an amp built in however if there is a better solution im all ears.

Is there a delay running sound card to amp to headphone? If so i may be opposed to this for gaming needs however if not what is a good amp to use for less warm notes (marantz) sound unless that would be better for my needs

Is there a decent amp built into these sound cards?

Should i go with a ht omega claro halo or something with more accuracy? Is there more of a delay there?

Open back will give me a larger soundstage with more accuracy right?

I need dolby 7.1 and dts 7.1 to be created by cmss 3d or something else for gaming needs

Anyone have any suggestions? Ill be looking more around the site when i can as i await a response

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 7
Can't help with any of the gaming sound card stuff as I'm just a casual gamer, but open back headphones do create a better sense of sound positioning than closed backs (I mostly play first person shooters, the elder scrolls series etc). But in louder environments, closed backs give a better immersion experience, especially if you've got loud fans on your GPU. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Can't help with any of the gaming sound card stuff as I'm just a casual gamer, but open back headphones do create a better sense of sound positioning than closed backs (I mostly play first person shooters, the elder scrolls series etc). But in louder environments, closed backs give a better immersion experience, especially if you've got loud fans on your GPU. 

Thanks for input was aiming towards open back for that reason. Couldnt i turn the sound up though and with noise cancellation have better possible immersion?

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 7
I personally don't like turning up the sound too high, as then for example the volume of footsteps, becomes un-realistically loud which for me destroys immersion. 
It just sounds like you're running around with wooden clogs on or something... aside from the fact that it's bad for your ears.

Also no open-back headphone has noise-cancelling. At least all closed backs have some level of passive noise cancelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back