Gaming with IEMs? Suggestions needed.
Dec 2, 2009 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

draven5494

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get a new pair of headphones to pair up with my gaming rig which has a Xonar Essence STX card. I currently have a pair of HFI-780s and a pair of Beyer DT 150s that use on this setup.

Now, I am looking for something... different. I want to see if there are any IEMS that I could also use in conjunction with or even in place of my full-size cans.

My main use for these will be gaming, but also some music and the occasional movie. I have been looking at the IE8s because of their large soundstage. I also have been looking at the edge gx400s and the SE530s. All in all, I think $400 would probably be the limit for these.

So, do any of you guys use your IEMs for gaming? What would you suggest?

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 13
i use my ie8 for gaming,watching movies,and ofcourse music.needless to say they excel in every category.for watching movies they are fantastic due to the incredible soundstage,i tried my fx500 for movies but didnt like it because the voices were more in your head due to smaller soundstage.ie8 for gaming again excellent and when i play with my psp,ipod touch,xbox i can hear when a person is coming from behind,on the stairs or not,explosions.....lovely.i purchased them for music ofcourse in the first place but they excell in everything else.

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 13
Games nowadays tend to make extensive (excessive?) use of the subwoofer frequencies, 50hz and below. I've heard IE8s can pull that off gracefully, I know the Atrios can. So can the super fi 5EB, but I don't find them that musical. But then, they don't cost as much at the others either.

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Games nowadays tend to make extensive (excessive?) use of the subwoofer frequencies, 50hz and below. I've heard IE8s can pull that off gracefully, I know the Atrios can. So can the super fi 5EB, but I don't find them that musical.But then, they don't cost as much at the others either. .

what do you mean by not so musical?the ie8 price is $450 and it is the most expensive iem there with se530 and westone3,again what do you mean by not cost too much??i'm not sure i follow you.....
confused.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by not so musical?the ie8 price is $450 and it is the most expensive iem there with se530 and westone3,again what do you mean by not cost too much??i'm not sure i follow you.....
confused.gif

Presumably he means he doesnt find the superfi EB musical yet they (not the IE8s) are cheaper.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Well, I think I am taking a bit of a risk here but I went ahead and bought the GX400s. I really wanted the ie8s, bad. However, the GX400s are $200 cheaper and I have seen good reviews for them (although some of the reviews on amazon may be questionable).

I know the GX400s are basically just ER-4Ps with a mic and a longer cable, I have yet to really see anyone's impressions on them. So, I will be sure the post my thoughts on them after some listening and gaming of course.

I hope this works out... *crosses fingers*

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by syn_fx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Presumably he means he doesnt find the superfi EB musical yet they (not the IE8s) are cheaper.

Ah I got it now...the post wasn't that clear tbh.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Well, just an update on this. I did order the GX400s, but canceled the order today in favor of the huge discount on the TF10s! $100!

I couldn't pass that up and all of that for $80 less than the GX400s. It's a no-brainer for me. I am still going to see what gaming is like with these. I would imagine that they will be quite a bit better than the Gx400s.

Now, I just have to wait for the TF10s.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 13
No, I was too late to get that model. I picked up the non-mic ones off the logitech site. I got my order confirmation, but time will tell if I made it in time before they ran out of stock.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm pretty sure it's the same earphones with a different cable. Maybe you'll be able to buy/trade some vi cables off someone else when the orders start coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back