Gear tagging
May 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
I really like the new Head Gear section, I think it's a great idea. I had an idea for a feature that might make it even more useful, although I'm sure there will be some debate about this, but what if in addition to allowing users to rate gear, you allowed them also to tag a piece of gear with certain terms that describe the equipment's sound. So, for example, someone could tag the K701 with bright, big soundstage, transparent, airy, tight bass, uncomfortable etc. Over time, you'd be able to see what characteristics people most associate with different pieces of gear, or you could search for equipment based on tags. It would help people sort through some of the noise on the forums - like the guy last week who said his ER6i had too much bass. If I read that and came to the Head Gear section, I could see that one guy had tagged them as bassy, while 30 had tagged them as bright.

Another alternative would just be to adopt the headphonereviews.org system whole hog and allow people to rate individual aspects of each headphone. This would make for a more standard set of criteria but may run the risk of missing characteristics which users think are important.

Or maybe there's something in between, where instead of having the headphonereviews system of rating across 10ish categories, there are like 50 different tags (like a word bank or something) that you can choose from so that people aren't tagging individual pieces of equipment with "big soundstage" "soundstage" and "huge SS" and having those each only count once.

What do you guys think?

May 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I prefer my audio gear list with impressions and findings which I still have not found. The product lists are not complete and a lot of vintage headphones are not to be found there. I could not find the AKG K240 DF, this is still Head-Fi or am I wrong?

May 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the gear lists are still coming up to speed, lots of stuff isn't there yet and will get added in coming weeks as users take the initiative and add things to the databases.

What I'm suggesting wouldn't be in place of impressions and findings, but in addition to them, as a quick reference tool.

May 10, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Handy yes, but the 'classic' and 'proven' headphones should not be missing on those lists. I find it an embarrasment if you want to make the 'new' Head-Fi work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back