Getting into CD, so i need a CDP
Feb 2, 2006 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, im going to start trying to convert my large collection of downloaded mp3 into a CD collection. This is going to cost me alot of money and time since iv got about 500 CDs. But first i want to know if this will be worth it. And then whats a good CDP for under $100. I dont have much money since im still in school so mu budget is low. But any help would be apreciated.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 20
If you can stretch your budget just a bit, you might want to consider the Sony CE-595. They were seling for as low as $130 last month. I cannot comment on the many universal players that sell for less since I have not heard them.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 20
I don't know what bitrate your mp3 downloads are. But, one option is to just buy the CDs and rip them at a higher bitrate and keep playing them on your computer. Then you will own the music you listen to, and, it might sound better as well . . .

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
Hey, im going to start trying to convert my large collection of downloaded mp3 into a CD collection. This is going to cost me alot of money and time since iv got about 500 CDs. But first i want to know if this will be worth it. And then whats a good CDP for under $100. I dont have much money since im still in school so mu budget is low. But any help would be apreciated.

Why? If most of your CDs are downloaded (or ripped from someone elses) to MP3s, and they're low bit rate then I don't understand why you'd do this. You aren't going to gain any improvement in sound quality, except possibly because the output stage on the CDP is better than on your computers sound card.. so then why not just buy a better sound card..?

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Why? If most of your CDs are downloaded (or ripped from someone elses) to MP3s, and they're low bit rate then I don't understand why you'd do this. You aren't going to gain any improvement in sound quality, except possibly because the output stage on the CDP is better than on your computers sound card.. so then why not just buy a better sound card..?

I agree.

An X-Fi Music would likely be better than your average CDP under $100.

*cringes for the flaming*
I dont know, but it would seem, so anyway.
At the very least, it would be one heck of a lot easier.

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Yes but they are still low bit rate MP3s. The point in this is to get good quality music. And this way i will always have it even if i lose my hard drive. I have good speakers and a good reciver, so why not just get the CDP and there i got a good system.

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Yes but they are still low bit rate MP3s. The point in this is to get good quality music. And this way i will always have it even if i lose my hard drive. I have good speakers and a good reciver, so why not just get the CDP and there i got a good system.

There is absolutely no benefit to burning all your MP3s to audio CDs that can be played on a standard CD player. All you're doing is spending a bunch of money to get a CD Player, and buying a lot of blank CDs to back up your *cough* borrowed *cough* music into a format that you can play on your CD player. A better, more cost effective way to get the same output would be to buy a good quality sound card, and connect it's line outs
(or headphone output) to your receiver. Then just play the music directly from your computer. You can still back up your music, but back it up as MP3 CDs, not audio CDs. You'll use fewer CDs, and you'll be able to get a better quality source for that $100 in a soundcard than out of a used $100 CDP.

Unless your receiver and speakers are a long way from your computer and you can't do a proper wire drop to them would I suggest going the other route. You'll be spending more to get a less optimal, poorer sounding system.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

There is absolutely no benefit to burning all your MP3s to audio CDs that can be played on a standard CD player. All you're doing is spending a bunch of money to get a CD Player, and buying a lot of blank CDs to back up your *cough* borrowed *cough* music into a format that you can play on your CD player. A better, more cost effective way to get the same output would be to buy a good quality sound card, and connect it's line outs
(or headphone output) to your receiver. Then just play the music directly from your computer. You can still back up your music, but back it up as MP3 CDs, not audio CDs. You'll use fewer CDs, and you'll be able to get a better quality source for that $100 in a soundcard than out of a used $100 CDP.

Unless your receiver and speakers are a long way from your computer and you can't do a proper wire drop to them would I suggest going the other route. You'll be spending more to get a less optimal, poorer sounding system.

No no no you got the wrong idea. Im not gonna burn my mp3s to CDs im gonna buy the real CDs ya know. I see what you were talking about before though.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 20
Ahh. So you're not going to convert your MP3s

Quote:

Hey, im going to start trying to convert my large collection of downloaded mp3 into a CD collection

You're replacing them. I don't know anything about good CDPs.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

No no no you got the wrong idea. Im not gonna burn my mp3s to CDs im gonna buy the real CDs ya know. I see what you were talking about before though.

Good idea! Welcome to the club, I've been doing the same thing. I use a Sony PCDP...but the Sony CE595 is supposed to be really good.

Feb 3, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 20
If you buy the CE-595, you get SACD as well. And, if you are going to buy CD's, there are some nice works (although not a lot) that have been put out in SACD. I must say, listening to a well recorded and well engineered SACD is quite an audio treat! And it usually only costs a few dollars per CD. Something to keep in mind if you are going after affordable quality.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 20
I have been looking for a website/store to buy the CE-595 i couldent find any that sell it. So is it disontinued or what? And are there any other CDP that you would reccomend.

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 20
Yeah - I was in the same boat as you. I started to go away from MP3's and more towards CD's. I own a CE-595 and it simply kicks butt. The redbook playback is not as good as my Denon but the SACD playback is superb, especially considering it is under $150.00.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #15 of 20
Best Buy and Circuit City had them in December, but I think they were getting ready to close them out. I do not know where else to suggest. Perhaps a Sony outlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back