Gilmore Lite with X-Fi a bad idea?
Jan 24, 2008 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Mating the two of these to a pair of HD580's. Can some people just give an honest opinion of whether or not i should pursue a really good home amp, or just go for the leckerton UHA-3?

I've learned to appreciate music and not the vessel that i listen to it through more recently. My C&C Box+ is dead. The battery will not hold a charge and the DC jack no longer functions. So this amp is out of necessity, not just me wanting new stuff.

Would it be a bad idea to amp the green jack from the X-Fi/my computer to the Gilmore Lite, or would the UHA-3 serve me better? Im not interested in anything for portable usage. I now just listen to music while doing homework, sit in a chair and listen to In Flames, Wintersun, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, Racer X, really crunchy guitar music etc.

i have a budget of about 250. no tubes please.

thanks guys!
580smile.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 7
can you really get a gilmore lite for $250?

my idea would be get the emu 0404 usb. It serves as a DAC and AMP. The amp section is okay for HD600 but for $150 its a bargain. You can save up to get another amp in the future.

PS- I used to have the modded Xfi with blackgates, changed opamps and imo the emu 0404 is far far better than it

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 7
oh crap i meant my budget was 350.

im pretty sure the DAC section in whatever i get has to be massively better. im learning in psychology about absolute perception which is basically the minimal difference at which humans can perceive differences in sound. thats why if im going to get new stuff, its got to massively out do whatever i had before and im just going to stick with it until it breaks.

the 580s are also pretty damn power hungry, i have to set the volume in windows to 60 percent just to power these things enough to get them to sound full and lush, but at that volume it gets kind of uncomfortable after about 10 minutes.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you really get a gilmore lite for $250?

my idea would be get the emu 0404 usb. It serves as a DAC and AMP. The amp section is okay for HD600 but for $150 its a bargain. You can save up to get another amp in the future.

PS- I used to have the modded Xfi with blackgates, changed opamps and imo the emu 0404 is far far better than it

Was reading randomly, just came across this...So the 0404 is better than the modded X-Fi only. An eye opener, as I was looking for blackgates and LM4562s for the very purpose. Looks like my modding plans are cancelled. I'll just keep my 0404 for music, and the X-Fi Plat for gaming. Thanks kamal007!

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 7
You have the 0404 PCI, not usb, Most people who used both says the 0404 usb is better than the pci version.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was reading randomly, just came across this...So the 0404 is better than the modded X-Fi only. An eye opener, as I was looking for blackgates and LM4562s for the very purpose. Looks like my modding plans are cancelled. I'll just keep my 0404 for music, and the X-Fi Plat for gaming. Thanks kamal007!

i meant the emu 0404 to be the usb. havent heard the pci version. and the comparison was done via my ears. it might work for you, it might not. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back