Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 23, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #50,386 of 62,665
Can you even do anything substantial with the Ambient mode when there's no ANC chip? Like gain adjustment and not much more?
Good question. It does vary, probably based on the mic quality. I know the FIIO adapters sound like crap in ambient mode :D I just want to hear outside/talk sometimes and can't stand occlusion.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #50,387 of 62,665
Where do you rate the ambient quality in your experiences? Anything you have or tried that is comparable?
Not as good as APP but I can carry on a conversation with music paused. I’m not convinced I’d hear someone calling my name while listening to music on a respectable volume.
Voices don’t sound robotic or anything.

Edit: maybe obvious, but outside environment sounds come through well; cars, street sounds, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #50,388 of 62,665
Not as good as APP but I can carry on a conversation with music paused. I’m not convinced I’d hear someone calling my name while listening to music on a respectable volume.
Voices don’t sound robotic or anything.
My APP has spoiled me in this arena for sure. I still think it would be nice if makers followed the Sony method of warming you back up to music coming out of ambient rather than just blasting it back into your ears. One of the reasons I have kept ahold of my XM4s.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #50,389 of 62,665
My APP has spoiled me in this arena for sure. I still think it would be nice if makers followed the Sony method of warming you back up to music coming out of ambient rather than just blasting it back into your ears. One of the reasons I have kept ahold of my XM4s.
Yeah, conversation awareness is a really nice touch. NFM just opens the mic up to outside sound…no change to volume

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #50,390 of 62,665
Yeah, conversation awareness is a really nice touch. NFM just opens the mic up to outside sound…no change to volume
It's definitely better than what is on the H-ANC or Falcon ANC. I forget which pair had Transparency. Just got my NFM and first think I needed to try was this feature :wink: Putting the mic on the outside helps big time. Callers are saying my voice sounds loud and clear.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #50,391 of 62,665
It's definitely better than what is on the H-ANC or Falcon ANC. I forget which pair had Transparency. Just got my NFM and first think I needed to try was this feature :wink: Putting the mic on the outside helps big time. Callers are saying my voice sounds loud and clear.
d@mn you two, think I am signing off here for the day :D

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #50,392 of 62,665
Cranking up this song right now and I'm not even sure I need to EQ these things. I really like the tuning. I can def hear a difference to the NFP but do not have my NFP anymore to side-by-side them!

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #50,393 of 62,665
Cranking up this song right now and I'm not even sure I need to EQ these things. I really like the tuning. I can def hear a difference to the NFP but do not have my NFP anymore to side-by-side them!

What is a difference between FM and FP even if you cannot have direct comparison?

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #50,394 of 62,665
What is a difference between FM and FP even if you cannot have direct comparison?
I'm not sure what your question is? I can detect better sub-bass and a tuning difference for sure and transparency is huge for wfh. I'm actually considering selling off my B&O EX now. Between the NFP, Nuratrue Pro and the Campfire Orbit, the EX are going to get zero love :scream:

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #50,395 of 62,665
Do you have a little peak/maybe distortion at 8k on the EQ within the app? I had this on the NFP too. Seems to still be there. Pulling back on the 8k seems to resolve it.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #50,396 of 62,665
I'm not sure what your question is? I can detect better sub-bass and a tuning difference for sure and transparency is huge for wfh. I'm actually considering selling off my B&O EX now. Between the NFP, Nuratrue Pro and the Campfire Orbit, the EX are going to get zero love :scream:
Actually I'm interested in that difference in tuning. Selling EX that were that long with you means something.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #50,397 of 62,665
Actually I'm interested in that difference in tuning. Selling EX that were that long with you means something.
Never thought I'd sell the EX, but yeah, these Mystique and the other two are awesome. Even though some folks think we're not getting better in the TWS, I totally disagree. The Nuratrue Pro sub-bass alone is mind blowing. The Mystique can get there too. Different though. The triple driver setup really does help with separation and clarity in comparison. Both excellent. I'm completely immersed in the new Iron Maiden album using the Mystique right now. Happy camper! :beerchug:

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #50,398 of 62,665
Folks, I'm having an issue with my ATH-TWX9 out of the box. With either noise cancelling or hear-through enabled, there's loud howling in right earbud and it's a few DBs louder than left. Otherwise, they sound phenomenal for TWS when ambiance modes are disabled- above issues are absent.

I tried my best to gently clean them; reset and re-pair as per manual. That seemed to work initially but the issue came back shortly. Anyone else has had a similar issue with TWX9 or suggest any other general troubleshooting steps? Thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #50,399 of 62,665
Do you have a little peak/maybe distortion at 8k on the EQ within the app? I had this on the NFP too. Seems to still be there. Pulling back on the 8k seems to resolve it.
Not sure I’m catching it. I turned that knob all the way up and just got some loud high hats.

Edit: I’ve also been enjoying the Jazz EQ setting which cranks the 8k up to around 7 or 8

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #50,400 of 62,665
Not sure I’m catching it. I turned that knob all the way up and just got some loud high hats.
Strange. It's not on all songs. Jazz just boosted everything. I'll give it a shot for the hell of it. Going to test them on a zoom now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back