Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 10, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #57,407 of 62,917
Not sure if it's been posted before but here is a pretty comprehensive comparison of the Jabra 10, XM5, QC3, AP2 and Galaxy 2 - I only have the Jabra 10 but would have to agree with his findings on them. A good all rounder.

An unexpected bonus is the auto "wind cancel" in "Hear Through" when riding a bike. The easy multipoint is a pleasure to use too and while passive isolation is not the best, combined with the powerful ANC, the overall isolation is good. SQ is pleasant enough too.

how good is this wind mode?

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #57,411 of 62,917
When using HearThrough mode It turns wind into a quiet whoosh sound. Some people thought this was kicking into ANC but it's a little different since you can still hear your environment pretty well. If what you want is more along the lines of full ANC then this is not it.
This is the Jabra or the Bose? Thanks.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #57,413 of 62,917
This is the Jabra or the Bose? Thanks.
I believe this was in regard to the Jabra Elite 10. Essentially if you are using Hear Through while riding a bike they will automatically switch to ANC??? if the wind noise becomes to strong. I rarely ride my bike so can't fully confirm this.

I do live in a windy part of the world though!!!! Got off the train today and was walking through a windy corridor in the downtown core and the whistling from the wind while in ANC was pretty damn distracting. I turned ANC off and even then, it was noisy but more bearable than using ANC. If its windy when I leave the office, I will do some more testing. I have found turning ANC off and then back on seems to reset the algorithm for ANC if I go from one environment (the train this morning) to another like a windy street. Might just be wishful thinking on my part but will give it a whirl tonight.

The Soundcore Liberty 4 NC is on sale for only $79CAD and is supposed to have a reasonable wind feature. Might pick up a pair until my MTW3 come back from warranty.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #57,414 of 62,917
All these darn deals on the Elite 10, everywhere EXCEPT Canada... very sad...
Amazon_co_jp__Jabra_Elite_10_Fully_Wireless_Earphones__Matte_Black__Genuine_Domestic_Products_...jpg

Only deal here is getting a big bunch of amazon points ...

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #57,415 of 62,917
I believe this was in regard to the Jabra Elite 10. Essentially if you are using Hear Through while riding a bike they will automatically switch to ANC??? if the wind noise becomes to strong. I rarely ride my bike so can't fully confirm this.

I do live in a windy part of the world though!!!! Got off the train today and was walking through a windy corridor in the downtown core and the whistling from the wind while in ANC was pretty damn distracting. I turned ANC off and even then, it was noisy but more bearable than using ANC. If its windy when I leave the office, I will do some more testing. I have found turning ANC off and then back on seems to reset the algorithm for ANC if I go from one environment (the train this morning) to another like a windy street. Might just be wishful thinking on my part but will give it a whirl tonight.

The Soundcore Liberty 4 NC is on sale for only $79CAD and is supposed to have a reasonable wind feature. Might pick up a pair until my MTW3 come back from warranty.
Try HearThrough, not ANC, in the wind. You don't need to be riding a bicycle. It switches to an ANC mode that seems to focus on wind noise in particular. You will hear some ambient sounds, but overall it's more pleasant in the wind than the other two modes.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #57,417 of 62,917
Try HearThrough, not ANC, in the wind. You don't need to be riding a bicycle. It switches to an ANC mode that seems to focus on wind noise in particular. You will hear some ambient sounds, but overall it's more pleasant in the wind than the other two modes.
Will give it a whirl and let you know! On my walk tonight I ended up turning off the ANC, next time it's howling I will try the Hear Through mode instead :)

Oct 10, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #57,418 of 62,917
Interesting... the Hear Through mode does cut out the wind after a few seconds if its really blowing! Unfortunately it switches back to normal Hear Through mode as soon as it thinks the wind has stopped which in gusty places like where I live makes for an all over the place experience.

So Jabra can deal with wind! Now they just need to have a dedicated wind mode, or make their algorithm even better and apply it to ANC and Hear Through. If they can fix this, I might have my almighty one TWS to rule them all...

EDIT: OK tried simulating bike wind in the car... (I know I know, that's bad...) but once I had steady wind it was amazingly good at blocking it! Then if I rolled my windows up it went back to Hear Through after 10 - 15 seconds.

They definitely have the technology to address wind! Most windy days this feature will be just fine where I live.

Might not need to buy something else for that use case!

EDIT 2 : if they even just adjust the wind threshold by about 15% so it kicks in with a bit less wind I would happily just use Hear Through in the wind. Damn these are so close to perfection in regard to covering all my use cases.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #57,420 of 62,917
After all the great things people have been writing about the MTW3 and with them being heavily discounted, I picked some up. Overall, I'm rather disappointed. The case and the buds are both huge. Could not get a good seal with the included eartips. After a ton of tip rolling, found some silicone tips that fit and sound pretty good. But I still struggled to get a great sound out of them, even using an adapter to use aptx adaptive. Did the sound customization and fine tuning many times. Once I got them as good sounding as possible, I compared them to my TWX9's. To my ears, they just blow away the mtw3. The mtw3 have good detail and can be tuned for decent balance, but I'm not impressed with their soundstage. They go wide but don't have much depth. The twx9 soundstage has spoiled me.

All of that said, in gonna keep them for one feature: their wind mode is quite good. Been biking to work with them and they keep the wind noise in check while allowing enough outside sound in to maintain situational awareness for safety. So these will be my biking and skiing buds. I also like how loud their ambient noise setting gets, even though it's quite hissy.

I know this comparison is probably a day late and a dollar short, since these have been out for a long time. Also not really fair to compare the mtw3 to earphones that cost $100 more. But I thought I'd share my experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back