Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 18, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #55,426 of 62,660
I do...worked fine via aptX adaptive if I recall correctly (LG V60, which I still have, and used to use an OnePlus 8t that I recently traded in). Unfortunately, my earbuds appear to be dead after 13 months of light usage...tried using them today only to find the left aide won't charge above 10% and the right earbud is completely dead. Tried using 2 different chargers with no success and I am going to try a third charger overnight but I am not hopeful since the case appears to be charging fine and is showing 100% in the app.

Will probably send them in but having had the original MTW (had to do a warranty claim for those due to my case breaking) and now my MTW3s having issues again (previously had loud unpleasant popping noises in my left earbud, which went away with a factory reset), I am debating just moving on and ordering the AZ-80s again. I would recommend that, if anyone notices issues with their own MTW3s, they should send them back right away as there seem to be some QC issues with these as others have noted.
Just an update on my MTW3s, Sonova / Sennheiser replaced under warranty (I paid to ship it to them). Was very easy (just submitted a request online) and super quick. Shipped out via UPS ground last Friday (8/11) and was delivered to Sonova on Monday. They shipped out a new pair of MTW3s on Wednesday that I found waiting for me today. Whole process took about a week. Happy to have the MTW3s back.

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_221625618.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230818_221625618.MP.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230818_221810158.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230818_221810158.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #55,427 of 62,660
Just an update on my MTW3s, Sonova / Sennheiser replaced under warranty (I paid to ship it to them). Was very easy (just submitted a request online) and super quick. Shipped out via UPS ground last Friday (8/11) and was delivered to Sonova on Monday. They shipped out a new pair of MTW3s on Wednesday that I found waiting for me today. Whole process took about a week. Happy to have the MTW3s back.
Nice. Good to hear that it was quick and painless. I hope I never have an issue, but if I do this is good to hear.

Also the white ones look sweet.

Aug 18, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #55,428 of 62,660
Well, I talked with my buddy who was buying my MTW3 (hasn't paid me yet) I mentioned I missed them...

So he said bring me your Samsungs and let me see how they work instead. So.... maybe I will be getting my MTW3 back 😀.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #55,431 of 62,660
**adds another question to the "when considering buying from the Classifieds forums, be sure to ask...." list, right below "do you smoke or wear cologne?" **

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #55,432 of 62,660
For those who had the Fiio UTWS3 and got the UTWS5 or another ear hook replacement (but not the iFi Go pod, zero interest at that price point) was it a significant improvement in power, clarity, noise floor?

I don't use the UTWS3 much, but the form factor can be convenient vs. the Topping G5, and if I didn't have to crank them to 90+% volume so often and they had better codec support I might use them more. Is it worth it to upgrade?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #55,436 of 62,660
Looks like the Noble Fokus Prestige comes in two colors. Very cool. Now we just need a release date so John & Jim can take my money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-070919~2.png
    Screenshot_20230819-070919~2.png
    763.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #55,437 of 62,660
For those who had the Fiio UTWS3 and got the UTWS5 or another ear hook replacement (but not the iFi Go pod, zero interest at that price point) was it a significant improvement in power, clarity, noise floor?

I don't use the UTWS3 much, but the form factor can be convenient vs. the Topping G5, and if I didn't have to crank them to 90+% volume so often and they had better codec support I might use them more. Is it worth it to upgrade?
I would ask two questions to determine the answer to this.

1. How would you see yourself using the UTWS? Would you wear them outside your home much, or would you wear them at home more?
2. How is the fit with your earphones of choice? Do you get a good seal in the case of IEMs, or otherwise a good fit with earbuds, while using the UTWS?

I would not upgrade if the current earphones do not fit optimally when attached to the UTWS3. A subpar fit means the sound quality will take a hit, regardless of codec support. Also, when you listen to music outdoors, the environmental noise will impact the sound you hear.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #55,438 of 62,660
I would ask two questions to determine the answer to this.

1. How would you see yourself using the UTWS? Would you wear them outside your home much, or would you wear them at home more?
2. How is the fit with your earphones of choice? Do you get a good seal in the case of IEMs, or otherwise a good fit with earbuds, while using the UTWS?

I would not upgrade if the current earphones do not fit optimally when attached to the UTWS3. A subpar fit means the sound quality will take a hit, regardless of codec support. Also, when you listen to music outdoors, the environmental noise will impact the sound you hear.
99% of folks outside your home will think you’re deaf, and that they’re medical devices or maybe you’re just a little weird….
On the bright side, you’ll probably get the bus seat all to yourself…. 👍

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #55,439 of 62,660

Unfortunately I can't speak about the older model for comparison. But I do own the UTWS5.

I am a low volume listener so might be the wrong guy to answer your volume question. But I find they can get loud and if I remember correctly they have a more powerful DAC.

The latest FW does give these LDAC on top of LHDC so a more common hires codec.

I find they sound very good with my FH5 and have not noticed issues with hiss or other issues from a noise floor perspective.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #55,440 of 62,660
Hey everyone! I would like to draw on the collective brain for a recommendation; I typically have been paying attention to the XM5, AZ80 3ANC etc and have not paid as much attention to some of the other cheaper options. My girlfriend is in need of some TWS that meet these requirements:

Comfortable (tiny ears)
More of a shallow fit but ideally also stable (she loves the old Bose Stayhear tips)
Good ANC
and ideally solid sound with good bass for EDM

She has the Bose QCII but they're giving her a ton of connection issues (both blips in audio playback but also refusing to connect to her iPhone in crowded places) so she's thinking to make a return.

I'm tempted to suggest the MTW3 but I worry it won't be a good fit for her - so I'm wondering if anyone can point me to what they think might be a good middle-price option that meets the above, particularly a comfortable not completely IEM fit.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back