Golf-Fi - Club Builders/Modifiers?
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nick 214

Headphoneus Supremus
So the last Golf-Fi thread kicked it more than two years ago, here's hoping there's some active players and DIY tweakers on the Board (the latter should be pretty simple!). 

I won a sweet Taylomade R1 driver in an outing last week, and it should replace my tweaked-out Cobra S3s. 

Being a good Head-Fier and whatnot, I feel a pathological need to change the shaft. What's the current knowledge... Fujikura Motore F1s and Blurs are my wheelhouse, but some of the House of Forged shafts look both interesting and attractively priced (and made in the USA). 

Best

NK

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 12
Coming from someone who plays mini tour events a lot. I can tell you  that the shaft of the club is undoubtedly the most important part of the golf clubs.

Chances are that you buy that brand new driver for the looks or from the sales pitch but the only way to find out if something is right for you is to test that shaft.

Go to any golf headquarters  and try a few driver shafts out. The driver doesn't matter, just try them for the shaft.

Things to keep in mind.

Shaft stiffness, shaft kick point  and torque.

Shafts (especially graphite)  are not created equal. If you ever find a shaft in a club that you love, Keep it like you would an amp and interchange it between your new drivers or woods.

enjoy!

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Coming from someone who plays mini tour events a lot. I can tell you  that the shaft of the club is undoubtedly the most important part of the golf clubs.

Chances are that you buy that brand new driver for the looks or from the sales pitch but the only way to find out if something is right for you is to test that shaft.

Go to any golf headquarters  and try a few driver shafts out. The driver doesn't matter, just try them for the shaft.

Things to keep in mind.

Shaft stiffness, shaft kick point  and torque.

Shafts (especially graphite)  are not created equal. If you ever find a shaft in a club that you love, Keep it like you would an amp and interchange it between your new drivers or woods.

enjoy!

Wow, thanks. 

Do you have a tour card?

NK

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 12
Haha, 

Unfortunately I do not have my pro-card for the PGA which is the only one that counts.

I am professional in the fact that I make money playing golf. 

It goes PGA>Web.com tour> NGA hooters tour.

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 12
I'd very much like to revive this thread... There's gotta be some more Head-Fi "athletes" out there, right? 
o2smile.gif

Modern golf may as well be a DIY hobby... endless combinations of tweaks. 

NK

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Golf is yet another thing to drain our pockets in addition to audio.
Anyways, many shafts are incredibly expensive, but recently I have been impressed by the reasonably-priced Kuro Kage shafts. Very smooth and balanced.  Disappointments?  Matrix Kujo.  

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 12
  Golf is yet another thing to drain our pockets in addition to audio.
Anyways, many shafts are incredibly expensive, but recently I have been impressed by the reasonably-priced Kuro Kage shafts. Very smooth and balanced.  Disappointments?  Matrix Kujo.  

Good to know!

I've been rather disappointed with the Fujikura Blurs that I've been using (stock)... I swing 106 and can't seem to load the shaft as it's probably not stiff enough at the flex point. I think I'll try the Kuro-Kage X-Stiffs... 

NK

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 12
Kick starting an old thread.
Golf is my passion and I'm forever changing clubs. I must have gamed 10 different drivers in the last 6 months easily!
Any other passionate golfers out there in the headphone world?

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Kick starting an old thread.
Golf is my passion and I'm forever changing clubs. I must have gamed 10 different drivers in the last 6 months easily!
Any other passionate golfers out there in the headphone world?

Helping you kickstart. Passionate golfer in the headphone world here. I had the 2013 Taylormade R1 driver for about three weeks before deciding to list it for sale. This driver is really cool looking and can be extremely helpful to some golfers. If you would like to make directional corrections of the tee without changing your swing, this driver is for you. Using the multiple adjustments, you can create a higher or lower ball flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back