Good $250 set of cans
May 29, 2017 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

koover

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys
I'm looking for a good set of cans around the $250 range.
I'm going to use these predominantly for portable use with a DFR. I would consider myself a bass head but I don't necessary need something that's all bass. I like a variety of signatures from a V shape to balanced. I'm pretty open.
I currently own the Senny 650's and THx-00 PH's which pretty much are polar opposites.... which is a good thing to me.
I just had a st of cans ripped off at work today along with the lightning cable and DFR so I need to replace. I feel like crying.
I'd still use these at home on my PC but mostly portable.
I'm running with a Jot with Modi 2.0 on my PC.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 7
I would consider the DT770PRO, either 80 or 250 ohm. The 250 is a bit more balanced and the 80 is a bit more v shaped with stronger bass. Both version have some of the best subbass I've heard in a headphone. Very easy to drive too - both versions.

May 30, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Well I guess I just solved my want list. I just bought (new) a pair of Nighthawk Carbons and DFR for a tad over $300. Nice to have gracious friends in the biz.

May 30, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 7
I really suggest, that you try pair of NAD viso HP50. They are (very) closed, so no exterior noise will ruin your music. Tho, you cant hear traffic as well.
And they are quite flat, but bass is really there, when needed. It´s like you are listening well tuned festival PA system. Sound is huge, but pleasing.
And they are pretty sensitive cans, so you can drive them with your phone, with no broblem.

May 30, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 7
Great headphones! Good deal too!

Thank you, appreciate the support.
Yeah, I couldn't pass this up as it's truly a great deal that fell into my lap quite unexpectedly at the most opportunistic time.
I've never listened to these before but my friend was gracious enough to offer this deal to me at wholesale. Obviously I jumped on it. I needed a DFR too so it makes it even a sweeter deal.
My hope is they're not a mirror image of the 650's. If so, oh well. :)

May 30, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 7
I really suggest, that you try pair of NAD viso HP50. They are (very) closed, so no exterior noise will ruin your music. Tho, you cant hear traffic as well.
And they are quite flat, but bass is really there, when needed. It´s like you are listening well tuned festival PA system. Sound is huge, but pleasing.
And they are pretty sensitive cans, so you can drive them with your phone, with no broblem.

Thanx. I still may look into these if the Nighthawks sound too much like my 650's or are just too bulky.
The Nighthawks are for portable use.....don't know how that's going to work out. :triportsad: I may have to use my Senny's as they're really light if the NH's don't work.
Always open to suggestions and varying sound sigs so your suggestion is very welcomed. Thanx again man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back