Good cans <$125 ?
Jul 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Luftwaffle109

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I will be going to college soon and I would like to have a good audio setup when I'm there. So I am in the market for a nice pair of headphones - something under 125 (i'd like to save some money for books at least
tongue.gif
).
SQ is most important to me; i enjoy punchy bass and detailed/precise highs. Isolation comes next in importance. Then comfort.

I have amps around for use: a 75% complete PPAv2, a MINT, and an empty millet hybrid board (which i will build if i get cans that work well with it). I intend to play music off my laptop (should I consider getting/DIYing a separate DAC?)

What are the best options, in my circumstances?
All posts appreciated!

PS - I know this is not befitting to the forum section, but I'm also seeking advice on speaker fed audio. I found an old pair of infinity 2000.1 bookshelf speakers. I've no idea how good they are, so does anyone know? And if they're worth using, what kind of amp should i use with them? If anyone has any input on this id love to read it.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 17
Grado Sr60 or Sr80 would be headphones worth looking into in your price range.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 17
I'm waiting for my Goldring DR 150 and I think they are the best headphones in that price range. Grado's are the best for rock.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 17
Equation Audio RP-21, Denon D1001 (not good if you want isolation but comfort wise..wow), and ES7's. Theres a review somewhere here that compares all three of these headphones plus one or two more and all are in or close to your pricerange. (prices of these have come down since the review..you can find a lot of them under 100)

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 17
x2 for the denons. I dont have any experience, but from what ive read they hit the mark for comfort, and isolation, and I think the the entire denon line is a bit dark (bassy)

the denons and the RP-21 are the most recommended closed inexpensive headphones, so either one is a safe bet.

avoid grados if comfort and isolation are musts, they sound great, but isolation and comfort is where they suffer.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 17
Okay - currently im looking at sr60s and D1000 based mainly on price and SQ.

I'm not at all familiar with the sound signatures of these headphones, so does anyone know how these HPs will perform when playing Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Prodigy, or trance (random sample of the wide variety of music i listen to =P).

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luftwaffle109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay - currently im looking at sr60s and D1000 based mainly on price and SQ.

I'm not at all familiar with the sound signatures of these headphones, so does anyone know how these HPs will perform when playing Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Prodigy, or trance (random sample of the wide variety of music i listen to =P).

Could also toss an MS-1 + bowl pads into your options. I enjoyed these immensely with Pink Floyd, although I don't know how well it'll hold up with trance music.

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 17
I thought one of your main features you wanted was isolation?

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 17
grados are like speakers playing out both sides, not a great idea for isolation

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 17
The Rp21's are simply amazing for bass, but their highs a bit rolled off, and muffled if you use the stock foam pads. But I would still recommend them because I listen to lots of trance and they are excellent for it.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought one of your main features you wanted was isolation?

Yes, it was, but based on skylab's sub 150 headphone review, it seems like you could not get both high isolation and SQ, exception the HD25-1 - but i cant find an an affordable deal for those.

Also, for genres other than rock do Grado's really perform that under-par that I should consider headphones with a flatter sound signature?

And I'm seeing sparse references to the Goldring DR150. Does anyone have any experience listening to them/know how they perform?

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 17
Another vote for the ES7s. Detailed fun sound. Nice looking. Some isolation. Fold flat. Under budget.

Mooch

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 17
If you're interested in used, I am considering selling my Beyerdynamic DT831. Lot's of reviews and opinions here on head-fi which match your wants. If interested PM me and we can discuss. (Within your price range...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back