Good gaming headphones
May 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

XHale

Head-Fier
Hey guys, (and girls)

I've been looking and researching for some gaming headphones.

I looked at the AD700 but I wanted more immersion (willing to sacrifice some sound stage for bass) so I looked at the SR850.

I saw Malveaux (who actually was the one who made me think twice about buy a AD700) say that Fischer Audio FA-011 was good.

So basically my question is how much better is the FA-011 than the SR850.

I mainly game, some FPS and Assassin's Creed etc. and for music I only listen to classical (yeah, I'm weird).

I would say that I game 80% and listen to music 20%.

I can get the SR850's for about $31 (from Ebay) and the FA-011's for $175 (from Noisy Motel).

I will be using the Asus Xonar Do, how's the HD558 for gaming?

I live in Malaysia BTW.

Thanks! :D

XHale

P.S. I posted this in the headphones recommendation thread but I posted right before the next page si I figured no one would see it. :p

May 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:
I've been looking and researching for some gaming headphones.
I looked at the AD700 but I wanted more immersion (willing to sacrifice some sound stage for bass) so I looked at the SR850.
I saw Malveaux (who actually was the one who made me think twice about buy a AD700) say that Fischer Audio FA-011 was good.
So basically my question is how much better is the FA-011 than the SR850.
I mainly game, some FPS and Assassin's Creed etc. and for music I only listen to classical (yeah, I'm weird).
I would say that I game 80% and listen to music 20%.
I can get the SR850's for about $31 (from Ebay) and the FA-011's for $175 (from Noisy Motel).
I will be using the Asus Xonar Do, how's the HD558 for gaming?
I live in Malaysia BTW.

I own the ATH-AD700s, but never use them because of the lack of bass.
I think the Samson SR850 are a great value and good sound
I'm sure Malveaux is right that the Fischer Audio FA-011 sounds better then the SR850.
But, the SR850 is only 32-Ohms, were as the FA-011 is 160-Ohms.
The Senn HD-558 is 50-Ohm and a good all around sounding headphone, slighty better then the SR850
Is your Xonar sound card the DX, DS, or DG?
The DS & DX are not that great for driving headphones, were as the DG comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier.
With the FA-011 being 160-Ohm, it would be a wast to use it with the DS or DX.

May 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:
Thanks for your reply
biggrin.gif

I will be getting the Xonar DG (major typo there)
Does the ohms make a big difference?
Pleasr excuse my noobishness :p
Thanks
biggrin.gif

XHale

The higher the headphone Ohm (resistance) rating, the more voltage that needs to be supplied to get volume.
There is something about higher Ohms that provides a better sound quality (can't remember the technical details)
But there are some great sounding (and expensive) low Ohm headphones.
Voltage is easy to supply, the trick is to supply enough voltage without adding noise and distortion to the signal.
The Xonar DG & DGX can work barely half-way decently with 250-Ohm headphones, so the 160-Ohm FA-011 should be fine.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:
Thanks man, gonna get the Xonar DG's.
I can get the FA 003 for the same price, is the FA 011 or FA 003 better for gaming and classical?
Thanks
biggrin.gif

The FA-003 is a closed headphone and the FA-011 is open.
You can get the FA-003 clone, the Brainwarz HM5, I got a used one for $100, the HM5 just does not come with the velour ear pads like the FA-003.
But I would think the FA-011 would have a better over all sound.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 36
I haven't heard any of the cans you mentioned (I know, that's helpful), but if you want bass and soundstaging, the HFI-2400 are worth looking at.

The impedance thing was done to death in another (recent) thread; my subscriptions list is being a bugger right now and not opening though. The simple answer is that it doesn't tell you anything by itself.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 36
Have you looked through this thread?  http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-2-2012-ksc35-added-comfort-scores

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:
Is this a good deal?

http://jaben.com.my/shopping2/Fischer-Audio-FA003-Headphone-Hippo-Box-Amplifier-Hippo-VB-Earphone/

Wow, $700, never heard of Hippo stuff before.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 36
I love my Audio Technica Ath AD700 and would use it more but they just let in too much outside noise in my current living situation to use on a regular basis. Fortunately this has led me to my three other favorites which i find fantastic for gaming. Here they are in order of preference-

Koss Pro 4AAT- My favorite headphones with a very balanced yet full sound without the bass overpowering anything. I can pretty much hear a note fade tils its got nothing left to fade with :)

Koss Pro DJ100- Very similar to the above but to me they have slightly less bass which might improve with burn in over time.

KRK KNS 8400- Incredibly detailed bringing out a infinite soundscape of audio euphoria especially in games like FALLOUT 3 and SKYRIM. Its the one headphone that makes me feel like am actually there. The only one that beats it for me are the Koss Pro 4AA that are truly masters of exquisite treble detail but without anywhere near the bass of the KRK KNS 8400 which are pretty light on bass themselves.

These are all run off a Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever with my computer connected to it. So i have no problem feeding them power.

You might want to check the excellent precise detailed reviews by the Master Purveyor of headphones fine as wine known as tdockweiler. Here is a link to one of many reviews he has so generously graced us with-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/480#post_8392395

Cheers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back