Good Headphone Setup for $1000+ / HD800 Questions
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

G3ck0

New Head-Fier
At the moment I have Audio Technica ATH-AD700's. Love them, but I'm the kind of person who isn't happy until I have the best.

While I would love a pair of Sennheiser HD800's, I have a few questions. How would they sound compared to my current headphones without an amp? Would they at least be better? How much would I be able to get an amp for that works well with them? I could afford the headphones in a month or two, but paying 1500+ for an amp would have to wait for another 6-12 months. So if I could get an amp for $500 or less that works well with them, I'd do that for a while, until I could buy a much better amp. Or even if I could use them un-amped for half a year or so and then buy a nice amp.

Otherwise, what would a good setup be for around $1000, maybe pushing it to $1500 max? I use my headphones for gaming and music. I love the sound stage of my current headphones, so I wouldn't really be a fan of losing that. Not sure what other details are needed, any help will be appreciated though!

EDIT: Or what about a package like this? http://www.livingsound.com.au/2011/11/sennheiser-hd800-lehmann-linear/

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 2
HD800's would sound better then the AD700's without an amp. As an Amp/DAC just get a Magni/Modi to hold you over then get a real nice tube amp and a real nice DAC
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back