Good headphones for listening to music on my iPhone?
Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Infamous

New Head-Fier
Audio noob here. Just looking for my first pair of cans and I primarily listen to hiphop/rap.
Most often I listen to music from my iPhone(4s if it matters) and my computer.
My budget is $150 or less, preferably under $100

I'm considering the Sony MDR-XB700 as they have really good bass, but they are just so bulky that I would feel uncomfortable taking them out in public.

What would you guys suggest I buy?

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 19
Wanna shell out an extra $30? http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-True-Blood-V-80-Noise-Isolating/dp/B0058M3RXW/ref=pd_cp_e_2 You'll get alot of looks. For how good your headphones look
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Hip hop usually has only two elements; the beat and the lyrics.  Generally the midrange contains a lot of human vocals.  Why would someone choose a headphone with a V-shaped sound signature that minimizes vocals when that's a main focal point of the genre?

I'd say a headphone with a weighty midrange and deep extended sub-bass with tame-but-not-absent treble would be better for hip-hop.  But that's just me I could be wrong.  Unfortunately, my familiarity with headphones that fit the OP's specific critera is lacking so I am failing miserably on that front.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Hip hop usually has only two elements; the beat and the lyrics.  Generally the midrange contains a lot of human vocals.  Why would someone choose a headphone with a V-shaped sound signature that minimizes vocals when that's a main focal point of the genre?

I'd say a headphone with a weighty midrange and deep extended sub-bass with tame-but-not-absent treble would be better for hip-hop.  But that's just me I could be wrong.  Unfortunately, my familiarity with headphones that fit the OP's specific critera is lacking so I am failing miserably on that front.

what would be that headphone, sir? thanks

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Numark Red Wave/ Electrowave. Same sound on both, but different looks. The Red Waves are about half the price and more portable. They also pack a hefty bass punch. They are very bass heavy, but at the same time, you don't sacrifice too much clarity for the bass. You can find the Red Waves on Amazon for around $70 US. Hope this helps.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 19
I covered that topic in the second paragraph of my post.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 19
The M-80 is 100% that headphone. Hip hop sounds immaculate on them. The fact that there are no harsh highs and there are liquidy mids really helps and makes a difference. Not to mention the bass is punchy and extends nicely.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 19
The M-80's are a bit out of my price range :/

Someone above recommended getting a headphone with a "weighty midrange and deep extended sub-bass with tame-but-not-absent treble"
Problem is, he didn't provide any headphone models that fit those specs.

Also, don't forget I will be listening to music via iPhone.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 19
I don't know of any in your price range.  I would recommend the M-80 as I feel like that's the sound sig it has but you said it is out of your price range.  I don't know of another headphone in that price range that has that sound sig.  I'm not going to ever recommend a headphone I haven't personally heard, so I'd rather not recommend anything than be one of those "review recommenders."
The market for used M-80s is usually $150 or less.  Check the For Sale section.  I think I saw some for sale there last night actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back