Good non-leaking over ear headphones for office use (~$400)
Feb 8, 2015 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DSchwartz88

Head-Fier
I've taken a look around all the old threads here asking kind of the same thing, but after reading them, am opening up my own thread anyways (because of price differences, new headphones released, etc.).

I'm looking for recommendations for non-leaking headphones for office use. We have an open plan office with my closest co-workers sitting about 7 feet away from me on either side, so having sound leak out wouldn't be very considerate. My old setup used to be:

Schiit Asgard
Mad Dog (v 3.0)
ODAC

I recently sold everything except for the ODAC because the Asgard got way too hot (literally cracked the paint on my office desk) and the Mad Dogs were fatiguing because they were very heavy. However from a sonic standpoint I absolutely loved the setup -- so if theres a way to replicate it I would love to (I'm looking into getting an O2 amp to replace the Asgard).

In terms of music I listen to a good amount of jam bands (mostly Phish), rock (Black Keys, Houndmouth), electronica (Pretty Lights, Glitch Mob, Daft Punk) and lots of 90s hip hop. So it's a pretty good variety. In terms of sound signatures that I like (and excuse my incorrect language): I like instrument separation (for when I listen to bands like Phish) and like tight and punchy, but not overpowering, bass (for when I listen to 90's hip hop and electronica). 

Anyways, onto the research I have done. After looking at a lot of different headphones heres a couple of the ones that are interesting to me:

Master & Dynamic MH40
Focal Spirit Classic

I'd like whatever headphone I buy to be over ear (rather than on-ear). I'm totally open to any suggestions that I haven't mentioned above as well, and am obviously also open to spending less money (but not much more) :)

Will be happy to answer any follow up questions people have. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Bumping this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually very good at researching things, but i'm at a loss for possibilities here. I'd even appreciate a big list of headphones I can go research :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 6
No matter what closed headphones you get, if you turn the volume up, your neighbors might hear your bass thumps. IEMs would be much better.

For headphones, I think I might also be looking at the PSB M4U 1, or maybe the new Blue Mo-Fi. I have not heard either of those, they just look nice... :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 6
I recently sold everything except for the ODAC because the Asgard got way too hot (literally cracked the paint on my office desk)

LOL

Last year, I upgraded from the ODAC and Asgard to an Audio-GD NFB-11 for practically the same reasons. Wasn't cracking the paint on my desk. But just putting out too much heat. I'm much happier now with the NFB-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back