Good ON-EAR Headphones?
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gheed

New Head-Fier
Good ON-EAR Headphones? 

Looking for a pair to haul around campus with me...not a huge fan of "earbuds" as I don't like things "inside" my ears.

They will be used for music on my iPod and laptop (nothing fancy).

Chill-Out Radio on Pandora is a good example of music that I'd most likely be listening to. Looking for a crisp -clear sound; bass is not a big priority. I must mention though, comfort is a priorty. I'm interested in something that I can wear on my head for hours while studying at the library. 

I guess I should also mention that I don't want anything large. Portability is a must!

Any suggestions? I'm a big fan of Sennheiser HD555's if that's any consolation. They are just too big to travel with.

Price range: under $200.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 20
V-Moda M80's. They should become comfortable over time. Then again, they might not. If you order them and find them uncomfortable after 1-2 weeks, just return them. I'd expect they will take a while to feel okay.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 20
Comfort is very much a matter of opinion with on-ear designs, especially if they are clamping hard to provide the isolation you will need to not get thrown out of a library, so try to buy from somewhere with a return policy. The classic portable on-ear phone is the HD25-i-ii - very high isolation, punchy but not bloated bass, 140g, notoriously tough - it was designed for radio and TV news teams and then became the standard DJ phone. There are lots of reviews here to look at.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 20
Try Koss PortaPros, they're exactly what you're describing, and they're only $35 at Big River.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Not to mention how ugly they are. lol

The V-Moda M80's  look great! Any other suggestions? 

Yeah, because that's what's really important, right?

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, because that's what's really important, right?

How else are you suppose to pick up chicks in university? 
biggrin.gif

I think the M80s are great. Just be aware that they are semi-open, meaning that they don't block noise the best. I actually prefer that for biking purposes as it allows me to hear traffic, people yelling at me, etc.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 20
I enjoy my Brainwavz HM3's.
3 notes;
The stock ear pads are not the most comfortable.
The headband may need some bending to get the pads sitting nicely on your head.
They're cheap when on sale at MP4Nation.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Any recommendations as to where I could pickup the V-MODA M80s?

Not sure if Amazon is the ideal place nor the pratical solution. Just curious as to what alternatives may be available for maximizing price variance. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
Any recommendations as to where I could pickup the V-MODA M80s?

Not sure if Amazon is the ideal place nor the pratical solution. Just curious as to what alternatives may be available for maximizing price variance. 

$107 for an Amazon used pair isn't bad at all, though I got mine a couple days ago for $85 due to an Amazon warehouse deal.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 20
I also say get the M-80 for what you want to spend and on ear.  I also understand you not wanting used, I am the same way.

For me, I just watched Amazon until the M-80 got to the price point I wanted.  Two days ago the M-80 in (Pearl White) was only $140.  The Shadow M-80 is usually around that price.  It might jump up time to time, but it comes down again quickly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back