Good Portable Amp to drive the Sennheiser HD555s?
May 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BrahmaBull9813

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I got the Sennheiser HD555s and after a long period of use, the modification to make them (supposedly) 595s and testing with different sources I found these to be decent headphones. Now that I'm used to them, it doesn't feel like the ear cups are placing a great amount of force on my skull. I still don't find that the sound sparkles from them like many people have insisted that it should.

I want to know, which portable headphone amplifier should I invest in to drive these headphones? I don't want to spend more than the $90 that I paid for the headphones. I heard many people boast the FiiO E5, but reviews said that all it does is boost the volume and drive EQ. For that reason, I'm skeptical about paying money for that, but are there any recommendations?

I'm under the assumption that by getting a portable amp, I will find a notable difference in what I hear.

-b

May 22, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Well, the E11 seems to have been getting a lot of attention around here, and it has a nice bass boost.  I'd get one but I can't really order anything online right now for various reasons...I have a 595 too, so I'd like to know how they pair too.

May 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 13
I actually think that's the one I want to get. It's about 50 bucks at one of the online stores referenced by FiiO on their website. I read through the review here and it seems that there's a very minor hissing issue (that's also in the E7), but I get that anyway when I drive my Cowon V5 at full volume so it doesn't phase me.

Either way, I think something basic is substantial for these headphones considering their price. If there's enough money to buy one of the higher-end cans, then it would probably be worth it to invest in iBasso or one of those $200-300 range amps.

If I purchase the E11 (which I feel I will) then I'll let you know how they sound.

May 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 13
I have the Sennheiser HD-555 headphones.  I have the FiiO E11 on order - which, hopefully, I'll receive this week.  I'll be back to post my impressions.  I'll be using both a Sansa Fuze and a Sony Walkman as my source players.  Along with the amp, I've ordered the respective LOD cables for both players too.

May 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
What are LOD cables? I have seen this term on the forum before, but I'm unfamiliar with their use in sound production.

The LOD cables plug into the pin area where your USB cable connects to your player.  The LOD cables are usually about 6 or 7 inches long and have a 1/8" male adapter on the other end.  When you use a LOD, it prevents a "double amping" effect from occurring since the LOD essentially allows you to bypass the amp on your portable music player and sends the audio signal directly to your portable amp so the signal can be amplified.  When you use a cable that you plug into your headphone jack and then connect it to the input of your portable amp, the "double amping" effect occurs.  This could lead to distortion as well as some other issues.

You can essentially get a LOD - or, Line Out Device for most players from FiiO for about $10.00.  It's a small investment when you consider what you're getting.  Some people have custom LODs built with thicker gauge cables that are braided and feature better connectors.  However, those LODs can sell for $100, or more.

May 23, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 13
I don't understand why an LOD cable has a 1/8" male adapter on the other end. Wouldn't that just dangle there if the player is hooked up to the amp through its 1/8" port?

Also, do you know if there's any such LOD cable for a Cowon V5? It has a very strange port to connect via USB.

May 23, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I don't understand why an LOD cable has a 1/8" male adapter on the other end. Wouldn't that just dangle there if the player is hooked up to the amp through its 1/8" port?

Also, do you know if there's any such LOD cable for a Cowon V5? It has a very strange port to connect via USB.

LOD extracts line level analogue signal from the player. Player --via LOD--> LOD cable --> Amp --> Headphones
The 1/8" male jack will thus be connecting your player to your amp.

Edit: Just realised you asked "if the player was hooked up to the amp through its 1/8" port". Yes, you would be correct--in that case the LOD cable's 1/8" jack will not be in use. In that case, the LOD is also not being used properly.

May 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
LOD extracts line level analogue signal from the player. Player --via LOD--> LOD cable --> Amp --> Headphones
The 1/8" male jack will thus be connecting your player to your amp.

Edit: Just realised you asked "if the player was hooked up to the amp through its 1/8" port". Yes, you would be correct--in that case the LOD cable's 1/8" jack will not be in use. In that case, the LOD is also not being used properly.

Do all portable gadgets need an LOD? How about laptops/PCs? That said—would I need an LOD cable for my Cowon V5? I don't think it even has a line out aside from the USB port that can be used to plug into TVs to play videos... It's like an HDMI port (smaller though, I think). So would that mean that I'm stuck with the double amping effect?

Also—would I be better off getting the NuForce uDAC-2 or HiFiMan EF2A module? I like the idea of converting the digital signals to analog, but I don't know if it's good to carry around with me while hooked up to my music player. Which one would be better? And would they also hit the same double amping effect?

May 23, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 13
* I realized that I referred to LOD as Line Out Device.  I actually think it should be Line Out Dock, if I'm not mistaken.  The Mike's Hard Lemonades were  catching up with me when I made the reply to this thread.

As far as getting a LOD for a Cowon, I don't believe FioO makes them.  However, there might be other companies that do - more on a custom basis, though - as opposed to a mass-produced version. The custom LODs can get pretty pricey.

May 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 13
:frowning2:

I have the iPhone 4 but I really don't like to use it for listening to music. I couldn't find any custom LOD for the Cowon V5. Do you know where I could search for and find one?

Is an LOD absolutely necessary? And would the HiFiMan or the NuForce DAC + Amp be the better bet for the headphones I've got. As in, since these cans don't even cost as much as either device, would it be at all worth it to go for the more costly one (HFM)?

May 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 13
An LOD is not required, but many people recommend it. The NuForce uDac is powered by USB only, so you wouldn't be able to use it with your DAP or iPhone.

Quote:
:frowning2:

I have the iPhone 4 but I really don't like to use it for listening to music. I couldn't find any custom LOD for the Cowon V5. Do you know where I could search for and find one?

Is an LOD absolutely necessary? And would the HiFiMan or the NuForce DAC + Amp be the better bet for the headphones I've got. As in, since these cans don't even cost as much as either device, would it be at all worth it to go for the more costly one (HFM)?

May 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Do all portable gadgets need an LOD? How about laptops/PCs? That said—would I need an LOD cable for my Cowon V5? I don't think it even has a line out aside from the USB port that can be used to plug into TVs to play videos... It's like an HDMI port (smaller though, I think). So would that mean that I'm stuck with the double amping effect?

Also—would I be better off getting the NuForce uDAC-2 or HiFiMan EF2A module? I like the idea of converting the digital signals to analog, but I don't know if it's good to carry around with me while hooked up to my music player. Which one would be better? And would they also hit the same double amping effect?

Smallville is correct, you don't "need" an LOD. The point of LOD is to extract Line Level signal, which also means you have bypassed the player's internal amp. The signal is then amped by the external amplifier.

In contrast, using a headphone port means the signal is amped internally, then amped a second time externally. Double amping could lead to distortion, since the signal is less "pure".

Suggest you search the forums for threads on DAC, how amps work, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back