Good quality universal IEMs for rock music (running out of Note3) - Recommendations?
Jun 5, 2014 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

swhyte

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm on the hunt for a good quality set of universal IEMs that is well suited to rock music (fav bands are Muse, Foofighters, RHCP, Linkin Park etc). I used to play in bands as a teenager and grew up on late 80s and early 90s music and concerts so I really enjoy that "kick in the guts" kind of rock sound that you get from a Marshall stack and a mic'd up drum kit.

While my music taste is mostly rock I also listen to general pop/radio and house music also, so looking for something with a bit of flexibility, if possible.

I've been through a bunch of $100-500 in ear headphones and haven't found anything that rings my bell yet, so and willing to pony up a bit more for a decent set of universals.
I have a pair of ATH-M50s which I quite like but wish they had a bit more kick in the bottom end for some tracks (plus they just aren't portable), tried also the Velodyne Vpulse in ears and while bass was good for house, it was way too muddy for rock, also been through Klipshe S4 (not enough kick), Audiofly 56 (too boomy) and recently shelled out for some MDR-1RBTmk2 (scratchy treble and sound crap using bluetooth with rock music) which didn't work out either.

Plan on running only my Note3 as the audio source - I'm running it with V4A with Poweramp already which I hope will do, but I'm not interested in additional amps or overheads as it's just too much of a hassle to carry around for a portable rig.

I recently tried a pair of Shure SE846s the other day, they were OK, but I can't say they wow'ed me either.

I'm in Singapore, so there is a lot of shops around with high end models to try and I plan to go on a bit of a listening spree but wanted to get some input on models I should try first so I can put together a list.

Recommendations?

Thanks
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back