Good Speakers for a Dorm Room? Audioengine vs Harmon Kardon vs Antec
May 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jamesnie93

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I am looking for a set of computer speakers for my macbook pro (Terrible, but it's all I have to work with). I mostly listen to alternative rock and rap/hip hop. I try to get all my audio at 320 or FLAC. I don't have an amp or an upgraded soundcard, but I would be willing to get them if they were within the budget. 
I am deciding between Audioengine A2s and A5+s. I heard that the A5s give much better bass which would be nice for a friday night. I want to get the A5's but I am worried that they will be overkill for a 20x20 dorm room (and annoy my neighbors). Most of the time, I will be listening at low volume at my desk. 
I have also looked at the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks which have pretty good reviews and look nice and the Antec Soundscience Rockus. I have heard that the Swan M50w's are really good too. I really want a quality set of speakers that will last me several years. I am willing to spend around 200-350 dollars for a set that will work with my computer. If you guys could offer any suggestions that would be great. Thanks!

May 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Basically anything with good bass response will result in annoyed neighbors (or new friends) - bass is very hard to contain. Most systems need subwoofers to accomplish very good bass response, especially if you want small satellite type speakers. The SoundSticks are an example of this (and not a terrible multimedia speaker system).

I'd consider headphones (that's what we're here for after all) if you want lots of bass impact without driving other people crazy, or just deal with the reality of a 2.1 system. You can use near-field monitors for that 2.1 as well (like the AudioEngines or M-Audio monitors); pick whatever speakers sound best to you.

May 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 9
20x20 might be large enough to dissipate bass for listening if you just have a 2.0 system, and not too much would seep into the adjacent rooms unless your walls really suck and you play too loud. Still, I don't think there's a way to listen to Lil John properly without the bass seeping into the other room.

May 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 9
I have a set of A5s and I'm quite fond of them, but if I were living in a dorm setting I would just buy some nice headphones. Are you sure you'd be able to use them frequently enough to justify the expense?

May 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I have the Antec Rockus Soundscience and it is pretty awesome. I bought Klipsch ProMedia, Harman Kardon Soundsticks and they pretty muddy very fatiguing. I listen to a broad range of music from A-Z and this speakers really performs. 

However, if you are a bass head then don't get this as this speakers are pretty balanced over all. Incredible soundstage and separations of the stereo.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I would recommend AudioPro ADDON ONE, easily fills a small room and nice bass for a 2.0 setup. Like you, I listen to them at night, pretty good details I would say. I'm happy with mine.

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Ok, you're in a dorm room, which means people around you are likely to be studying while you blast your music. Not a good situation. Headphones would be a much better choice for you. How about a USB DAC with a built in headphone amp like an Audioquest Dragonfly ($150 US) and a set of GRADO SR325e ($300ish US)

That'll cost you the same as the A5's, while giving you MUCH higher fidelity and resolution, and it won't annoy neighbors. Win/win.

It'll sound so good infact, that you may find yourself disgusted by 320 and move exclusively to FLAC. You might even be like me and become disgusted by 16/44.1 FLAC and start listening exclusively to 24/96 or better. 

I think this is the best course of action for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back