Got a weird one... SE846 or HD700
Feb 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 9
The 700's will bring great soundstage and detail and the bass is quite good also. This will depen on the amp .

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 9
I really like my SE846 with the white filter in at really low volume. I live in cube land and it blocks out stuff I don't care to hear. I have no problem wearing them for extended periods of time - its all about getting the right tip that works with your ears. On the flip side, my computer is on the opposite side of my cube opening so I have to be aware when someone stops by to talk to me.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 9
After years of having both HD700 and SE846 I would always choose SE846 over HD700 but that considering aspects such as portability, sound leakage, comfort and how easy one is to drive compared to the other (not only SQ). I liked the sound signature and treble of HD700 a lot but...SE846 have more forward mids and generally speaking, fuller sound with much better imaging/separation than HD700. However they lose on the soundstage department. But win on everything else (not by much; they sound just right, nothing is missing, natural, and they are not fatiguing at all in the treble, they beat HD700 in everything except treble extension/soundstage). This is my personal opinion, others may have different opinions. Also you can tweak SE846´s sound a lot using different nozzle filters, rolling ear tips, etc. Isolation is superb with the SE846. Also I remember that the cable of HD700 stopped working on one side after less than two months - worst cable ever (I used them in a "portable" mode and cable took a lot of abuse...but less than two months? really?), replaced it with cheap 40$ cable that worked flawlessly, no problems at all.
It is more likely for a person to dislike HD700 than SE846 when you hear them for the first time unamped (like from iPhone or smartphone). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back