Grado Carts -- worth replacing?
Apr 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jamesensor40

New Head-Fier
Hi --

i am very new to vinyl -- I have a few technics turntables --

A Technics Sl d35, and a Technics SL-1300MK2Stanton Head cartridge. But I am also thinking about selling one or both of these and finding a nicer table. Long story short, i have been spending a lot of time on ebay, didnt read the description carefully and won some grado cartridges. Unfortunately they all have either broken or missing styli. The winning lot were:

Grado MF3, Broken Stylus

Grado MT+, Broken Stylus

Grado ZF3, NO Stylus

Grado G1, Broken Stylus

Grado ZC+, Broken stylus

Are these more trouble than they're worth? in looking at lpgear.com LP Gear: Grado stylus it looks like styli are much more expensive than i paid for the carts. Should i just take a mulligan and relist them on ebay?

Thanks for any input. I will definitely be more careful next time...

May 1, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, I just picked up a pioneer PL-12 at the thrift store last night and it appears that at the very least it needs a belt and a new cartridge.

Does anyone know if one of the grado carts listed above might pair well with the pioneer i just found? ordering needles for each cart and trying them out individually would be a little out of my price range right now... and it looks like the stylus prices range from about 40 to 90 dollars -- a significant difference.

Thanks for any help. I'm very new at this -- but trying!

May 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah-- good to know. Thanks very much for the reply. is there a cart you'd recommend for this pioneer pl 12? I have a TCC TC-750 Phono Preamp hooked into an Onkyo 606. A budget, middle and best recommendation would be awesome...

Again, thanks.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi --

i am very new to vinyl -- I have a few technics turntables --

A Technics Sl d35, and a Technics SL-1300MK2Stanton Head cartridge. But I am also thinking about selling one or both of these and finding a nicer table. Long story short, i have been spending a lot of time on ebay, didnt read the description carefully and won some grado cartridges. Unfortunately they all have either broken or missing styli. The winning lot were:

Grado MF3, Broken Stylus

Grado MT+, Broken Stylus

Grado ZF3, NO Stylus

Grado G1, Broken Stylus

Grado ZC+, Broken stylus

Are these more trouble than they're worth? in looking at lpgear.com LP Gear: Grado stylus it looks like styli are much more expensive than i paid for the carts. Should i just take a mulligan and relist them on ebay?

Thanks for any input. I will definitely be more careful next time...

I think sme of them are worth retipping or... collecting. I collect all grado bodies (not those awfull new so called "prestige"). So I'd be ready to buy them. Thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back