Grado Fan Club!
Aug 25, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #42,586 of 65,982
Aug 25, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #42,587 of 65,982
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #42,588 of 65,982
THIS MAN HAS TOO MANY GRADOS: A Never ending mini series

Episode 1: Grado SR60E CODE RED! EDITION

These are my Grado SR60E. I purchased them recently from another head-fier @easo91. They have bright red S cushions because the color red has special acoustical properties that make it sound better than other colors. Or because @easo91 liked red? Who can ever be sure about these things.

These are terrific all purpose utility headphones. I've used them for work conference calls, for listening to lower rez recordings on my Clip Sport DAP, and for pretending I couldn't hear what my wife was just asking me. They sound great, they have perfectly adequate bass no matter what your friends in the Audeze threads try to tell you, and they are easily replaceable if the dog chews them. If I ever get to travel again these are coming with me. For now I just wear them all around the house with my Clip Sport and pretend like I'm "commuting".

My one nitpick would be
*sigh*
the cable. Grado cables are thick and sturdy, which makes them well suited for lying back on my bean bag chair zoning out to the Dead, but makes them less well suited for any kind of activity which requires moving one's physical self through space-time. If ever some Grados could use a cable mod to something lighter and more flexible, these would be it.

Overall I am most pleased with my purchase. They make a fine addition to the family. They're like a scrappy kid who's only 5'3" but still is the best basketball player on his local team and is also an honor student. 12.5 / 10.

Attachments

• 20200825_140251.jpg
    20200825_140251.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #42,589 of 65,982
In mid-July I bought the GS3000e & it’s been my “go to” headphone pretty much ever since. It’s that good. A couple of weeks ago while listening to music a thought came to me : a lot of the time people generally don’t hesitate when it comes time to complain or criticize & I include myself here. But, complementing, thanking, rejoicing in someone’s accomplishments, success, etc. doesn’t always come to mind as quickly. So, I decided to send a quick/ brief email to Grado Audio to let them know how much I enjoy the G3Ke. Part of me felt silly doing this & rationalized this thought/ feeling with “well, you paid for the product after all”, why would they care either way. Instead I listened to my gut & felt that, no matter who or how much money they may have (I’m sure Grado Audio isn’t poor), people appreciate being recognized when they accomplish something. I’m not including my email, which was initially addressed to the Grado Audio staff. They were quite happy/ appreciative & they replied they were forwarding the email to John Grado. I’m posting both replies (copy & paste) from the staff followed by John Grado’s :

Hi Robert

thank you so much for the kind words
it really make a great way to start the day

we will copy John Grado on your email

thanks and enjoy your musical journey

Hi Robert,

Thank you taking the time to let us know how much you’re enjoying the GS3000e. We’re very proud of what we accomplished with this model and it’s nice to hear that it brings musical happiness to listeners.

It’s been 67 years since Grado first started doing business and I’m the old man around here now but my 2 sons are here and we’re looking forward to many more years of offering products for musical pleasure.

We live by word of mouth advertising so please let yours friends now about us. Thanks.

Be safe and stay healthy.

Kind regards,

John Grado

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #42,590 of 65,982
In mid-July I bought the GS3000e & it’s been my “go to” headphone pretty much ever since. It’s that good. A couple of weeks ago while listening to music a thought came to me : a lot of the time people generally don’t hesitate when it comes time to complain or criticize & I include myself here. But, complementing, thanking, rejoicing in someone’s accomplishments, success, etc. doesn’t always come to mind as quickly. So, I decided to send a quick/ brief email to Grado Audio to let them know how much I enjoy the G3Ke. Part of me felt silly doing this & rationalized this thought/ feeling with “well, you paid for the product after all”, why would they care either way. Instead I listened to my gut & felt that, no matter who or how much money they may have (I’m sure Grado Audio isn’t poor), people appreciate being recognized when they accomplish something. I’m not including my email, which was initially addressed to the Grado Audio staff. They were quite happy/ appreciative & they replied they were forwarding the email to John Grado. I’m posting both replies (copy & paste) from the staff followed by John Grado’s :

Hi Robert,

Thank you taking the time to let us know how much you’re enjoying the GS3000e. We’re very proud of what we accomplished with this model and it’s nice to hear that it brings musical happiness to listeners.

It’s been 67 years since Grado first started doing business and I’m the old man around here now but my 2 sons are here and we’re looking forward to many more years of offering products for musical pleasure.

We live by word of mouth advertising so please let yours friends now about us. Thanks.

Be safe and stay healthy.

Kind regards,

John Grado

Have they replaced your treasured Senns as the favourite?

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #42,592 of 65,982
THIS MAN HAS TOO MANY GRADOS: A Never ending mini series

Episode 1: Grado SR60E CODE RED! EDITION

These are my Grado SR60E. I purchased them recently from another head-fier @easo91. They have bright red S cushions because the color red has special acoustical properties that make it sound better than other colors. Or because @easo91 liked red? Who can ever be sure about these things.

These are terrific all purpose utility headphones. I've used them for work conference calls, for listening to lower rez recordings on my Clip Sport DAP, and for pretending I couldn't hear what my wife was just asking me. They sound great, they have perfectly adequate bass no matter what your friends in the Audeze threads try to tell you, and they are easily replaceable if the dog chews them. If I ever get to travel again these are coming with me. For now I just wear them all around the house with my Clip Sport and pretend like I'm "commuting".

My one nitpick would be
*sigh*
the cable. Grado cables are thick and sturdy, which makes them well suited for lying back on my bean bag chair zoning out to the Dead, but makes them less well suited for any kind of activity which requires moving one's physical self through space-time. If ever some Grados could use a cable mod to something lighter and more flexible, these would be it.

Overall I am most pleased with my purchase. They make a fine addition to the family. They're like a scrappy kid who's only 5'3" but still is the best basketball player on his local team and is also an honor student. 12.5 / 10.

lol, when I got the headband and saw the red stitching, they were just begging for red pads to accent them.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #42,593 of 65,982
For the moment being, the GS3Ke are my “go to“ headphone, but, the HD600 & HD650 will always remain my “treasured” Sens as you put it. Two of the very best HPs ever made, IMHO.

You are very faithful. :relaxed:

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #42,594 of 65,982
How hot? As in too-hot-to-touch hot? If yes, I wonder how the Spark will do in tropical climates...
I was testing a lot with higher volumes, it got pretty hot to the touch, not scorching hot but still hot. I did an all-nighter working on my thesis with the hemp and the spark, this was a near transcendental experience, I was listening at a lower to moderate volume on low gain for 6 hours straight and in all that time it was only slightly warm. So it'll only get real hot depending on how much it is pushed. I wouldn't worry though as like ruinedx says these electronics are designed to take the heat 👍

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #42,595 of 65,982
lol, when I got the headband and saw the red stitching, they were just begging for red pads to accent them.
😁 They look good that way! The 60s are kind of basic, so the red jazzes them up some. I probably wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #42,596 of 65,982
Thanks for sharing that interview, i've already watched it(I really like the audiophiliacs channel and I own the budget speakers Jones designed which I love). You may have to go over my posts again if you think I disagree with anything being said here(I'm a researcher, I understand there are limits to what is known which is why I stressed for the specificity of the claims being made). The issue I had with the statement in question was one of logic, it's incoherent. Let's not assume I have a hardline stance on measurements when I've literally repeatedly stated that there's a lot more that goes into how something sounds.

If you want to continue let's do so in messages and not here.

Grados tend to have a very fast, exciting and life like sound. It's a polarizing sound as many dislike the hot treble and lack of thundering bass but for those who like it these headphones are bliss. Possibly some of the most musical headphones on the market imho.

Thanks so much for the response. Would you say that Grados sound like electrostatics or maybe Audiotechnicas or the older Beyers? Specifically I am interested in the PS series.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #42,597 of 65,982
Thanks so much for the response. Would you say that Grados sound like electrostatics or maybe Audiotechnicas or the older Beyers? Specifically I am interested in the PS series.
I’d say the exact opposite from electrostatics. Estats have poor dynamics and drive but that’s one area Grados excell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back