Grado Fan Club!
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #58,742 of 65,960
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #58,743 of 65,960
Laughable Amir has the ear of a plant.
That is what I am learning. I only discovered his videos and website about a month ago. I got sucked in by his tutorials (not his reviews), but have learned not to trust is evaluations. I have yet to find anyone doing headphone reviews whose experience is similar to my own. I've also learned over the past few months that anybody who is constantly switching from one headphone to another is not accurately experiencing any of them, and only judging the differences from the previous thing that was on their (probably empty) head. It's all BS.

Which makes it hard to make a purchasing decision, so I guess I'm sticking to the vendors who have 30- or 60-day return policies. Headphones.com has a 356-day policy, but boy they hit you with restocking fees. And their reviews are useless.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #58,744 of 65,960
It also takes it’s own time in this hobby that you reach the level that you dare to trust your own ears and taste.
There’s lot of people in ASR also who are also on that road. They just don’t know it yet. :wink:

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #58,745 of 65,960
It also takes it’s own time in this hobby that you reach the level that you dare to trust your own ears and taste.
There’s lot of people in ASR also who are also on that road. They just don’t know it yet. :wink:
It has taken me about a year. I have Hifiman, Shure, and Sennheiser cans that are all supposed to be technically and measurably better than Grado. But I like Grado. I have come to terms with that.

And I have lots of things to sell now! (After returning the things that can still be returned.)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #58,746 of 65,960
That is what I am learning. I only discovered his videos and website about a month ago. I got sucked in by his tutorials (not his reviews), but have learned not to trust is evaluations. I have yet to find anyone doing headphone reviews whose experience is similar to my own. I've also learned over the past few months that anybody who is constantly switching from one headphone to another is not accurately experiencing any of them, and only judging the differences from the previous thing that was on their (probably empty) head. It's all BS.

Which makes it hard to make a purchasing decision, so I guess I'm sticking to the vendors who have 30- or 60-day return policies. Headphones.com has a 356-day policy, but boy they hit you with restocking fees. And their reviews are useless. (I could have bought the Topping on Amazon, played with it for 30 days, and had a free return. Live and learn.)

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #58,747 of 65,960

Which makes it hard to make a purchasing decision, so I guess I'm sticking to the vendors who have 30- or 60-day return policies. Headphones.com has a 356-day policy, but boy they hit you with restocking fees. And their reviews are useless.
I think it helps to find reviewers or posters on this forum whose evaluations match your own. It can be time consuming, but my purchase of the RS2X was heavily influenced by a couple of members from this forum and Brent Butterworth.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #58,748 of 65,960
Not to mention ASR does not listen to equipment, they measure it.

ASR is a disservice to people looking for guidance and suggestions.
It will never be a case of “just” the numbers. Over 30 years of retail audio taught me that. Some of the best sounding gear over the years did not have the “best” numbers or lowest distortion.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #58,749 of 65,960
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #58,751 of 65,960
It has take me about a year. I have Hifiman, Shure, and Sennheiser cans that are all supposed to be technically and measurably better than Grado. But I like Grado. I have come to terms with that.

And I have lots of things to sell now! (After returning the things that can still be returned.)
I'm relatively new to this also and the gear that I have bought is because of reading posts here. The one surprise was getting a pair of Grado SR225X's after Christmas. I didn't need a fourth pair of headphones but after reading this thread, I figured why not? I love them and I'm wondering what I'm missing by not upgrading. That's going to have to wait because Santa brought me some new audio toys to play with and I can't justify getting anything else for a while.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #58,753 of 65,960
I'd take issue with 'others focus on good sound quality'.

It's more a case of they focus on lesser sound quality with higher distortion and roll off filters. Absolutely a warmer sound that people enjoy, but certainly not 'better sound quality' than a clean DAC which are a solved problem.

Same as tubes, some people think they sound better, which is fine. But they are scientifically inferior to solid state in their reproduction of sound.
This is also the analog vs. digital debate.

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #58,754 of 65,960
I was playing around and compared a brand new vinyl pressing of "Are You Experienced" with the Tidal master file via my preamp to my monitors and it was quite close, if I didn't focus there was not a huge difference.

I agree with your point that enjoying the music 🎶 is the point of this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back