Grado Fan Club!
Jan 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #46 of 65,797

Quote:
So I should wade into the Grado SR60 mod thred and try some mods.....I don't want to make them brighter, A touch more bass would be awesome.....I'll save for the 225's...Hey Thanks!!!!!!

venting the driver and replacing the screen will really boost the bass and help take away the silibance (or is it sibilance, I can't remember...). Don't let it scare ya, its really stupid-easy (especially venting the driver)

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #47 of 65,797

Quote:
So I should wade into the Grado SR60 mod thred and try some mods.....I don't want to make them brighter, A touch more bass would be awesome.....I'll save for the 225's...Hey Thanks!!!!!!

I don't think any of the mods make them brighter, except for maybe removing the front driver cloth (I don't think it does, but some others do). I'd recommend the bass hole mod to everybody. They sound a lot better afterwards. Just be careful. Also, don't poke all 10 holes at once. I'd start with like 2, see if you like it, then move up to 4. After that, I think the next biggest sq increase was the woodies.

At any rate, have fun. 
gs1000.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #48 of 65,797

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm a retired guy= not alot of cash but I recently purchased some used SR60's and I'm hooked..like big time!!!
So which model should I save for thats clearly a step up??? Think old guy on Social Security has SR60's and is digging them should I say OK I'm set
or save for a better model. I don't know how they could get better by the way...Thanks

If money is tight, stay with SR60 and enjoy them !  You have to spend quite a bit more to get big improvement.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #49 of 65,797

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I sold my sr60i, I miss them now :frowning2:

I just tore mine to pieces
eek.gif

Seriously? Is everything OK? I saw you post in the sr60 mod thread about taking them apart. Did you break them?

They're fine (I think), I was just funnin, right now their status is disassembled. I have some issues to work through so they may not go back together as easily as they came apart, so in that regard they are a work in progress. I'm anxious to hear what they sound like reassembled though.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #50 of 65,797

Quote:
Quote:
The pink drivers make things sound cuter... 
tongue.gif

That description is quite accurate
biggrin.gif

I am not entirely sure, but I think the earlier Grados had pink drivers, newer models have white ones. At least this seems to be true for the RS1 (see the RS1 identification guide).
The pink ones are usually associated with a smoother, warmer sound while white ones sound brighter and more agressive. FWIR at least. My RS1 certainly does sound smooth
smile.gif

However I have no idea why your SR325is' have pink drivers, buffalowings. Cold be interesting to compare them to a "normal" SR325is and check if there is any difference in sound...

325is should have white drivers.
I think those pink drivers might have white or black cloth to start off with and the material turned pink over time. There were head fi members who said that their vintage RS1 turned pink later on. I have NOS 325 and RS1 that do not have pink drivers.

Examples of early SR325 and RS1 with the pink drivers:

SR325

RS1 (just imagine they have flats instead of bowls)
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #51 of 65,797

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The pink drivers make things sound cuter... 
tongue.gif

That description is quite accurate
biggrin.gif

I am not entirely sure, but I think the earlier Grados had pink drivers, newer models have white ones. At least this seems to be true for the RS1 (see the RS1 identification guide).
The pink ones are usually associated with a smoother, warmer sound while white ones sound brighter and more agressive. FWIR at least. My RS1 certainly does sound smooth
smile.gif

However I have no idea why your SR325is' have pink drivers, buffalowings. Cold be interesting to compare them to a "normal" SR325is and check if there is any difference in sound...

325is should have white drivers.
I think those pink drivers might have white or black cloth to start off with and the material turned pink over time. There were head fi members who said that their vintage RS1 turned pink later on. I have NOS 325 and RS1 that do not have pink drivers.

Examples of early SR325 and RS1 with the pink drivers:

SR325

RS1 (just imagine they have flats instead of bowls)
wink.gif

then i have the standard white drivers...meh, sounds good to me

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #52 of 65,797

Quote:
then i have the standard white drivers...meh, sounds good to me

As long as you're happy with the sound! That's all that matters. Who cares if the drivers are blue.
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #53 of 65,797

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I sold my sr60i, I miss them now :frowning2:

I just tore mine to pieces
eek.gif

Seriously? Is everything OK? I saw you post in the sr60 mod thread about taking them apart. Did you break them?

They're fine (I think), I was just funnin, right now their status is disassembled. I have some issues to work through so they may not go back together as easily as they came apart, so in that regard they are a work in progress. I'm anxious to hear what they sound like reassembled though.

Just making sure. I'd hate to have someone break their headphones.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #54 of 65,797
Thanks!!!! GUYS!! Do you have a link to the specific bass mod your talking about with the holes??? 

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #56 of 65,797
Just check out the first page or two...should be there...if you have any specific questions...ask. Once you get the sound chamber separated from the cup, it will be a lot more obvious what you need to do. Here is a quick shot though...the larger holes on the outside edge, there is a mesh covering them. You want to poke a hole through that mesh being careful not to poke to deep and damage the driver. A ballpoint pen is said to work really good for this...I used a fine tip tweezers just using extra care....I would recommend doing a couple holes at a time and trying it out until you get the desired bass though many end up with all ten holes punched. I did four at first and just stayed at four. It was enough improvement for me.

Quote:
Thanks!!!! GUYS!! Do you have a link to the specific bass mod your talking about with the holes??? 

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #57 of 65,797

Quote:
Quote:
I still own the GS-1000. I sold the RS-1 after owning them for years. They are very close in preference. The HP-2 is next level, but I like the "life" that the SR/RS/GS bring to the music. So, I guess I'm still a Grado fan 
gs1000.gif

The GS-1000 is a prickly beast, but the excitement and musicality is unique to only those phones. Let the other phones be accurate and technically correct. Let Grado be exciting and fun. 

HI there! Long time no see! I always enjoy your contribution to all Grado discussions.
It is also good to see some GS1000 love.

Thanks! What a nice Grado collection you have! 

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #58 of 65,797
OK.....I'm possibly the oldest guy here - 52 - who's willing to mod these...maybe not?
I got the better earpads so they are open and comfy and I took a knife to the white mesh stuff and peeled and pulled it all off, sounds good so far and now I'm hooked, but shoot the next mod I see looks like
the cans are in boiling water?? I could use hairdryer right???
 This is fun and if I brick them I'll just get 225i's...hehehehe...

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #59 of 65,797
Hair dryer works great on the metal cups, should work on the plastic...just be careful getting the cups too hot causing them to melt/warp. If they do, good excuse to woodie them.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #60 of 65,797

Quote:
Hair dryer works great on the metal cups, should work on the plastic...just be careful getting the cups too hot causing them to melt/warp. If they do, good excuse to woodie them.

We think alike!!! OK....after you take them apart and make the holes what do you use to glue them back together?? The residue of what you undid?? No Glue??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back