Grado Fan Club!
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #42,511 of 65,773
I agree with what you're saying here and I'm a big fan of Andrew Jones. I've also argued that what makes something sound is multivariate so no disagreement there. The issue I have from the statement is from a logic standpoint as he seems to contradict himself(if he did infact say that), what we're deciding on how well something measures is contingent on what is being measured

there are still plenty of stuff need to be study and research on audio world, most of the research have been done by companies in the industry, not many have been published, and we still not 100% know how our brain interpret sound so to take a hard line based on just measurement it's a bit extreme for something basically still questionable in some parts in my opinion. one quote from andrew jones which i love was when he discuss about research, if i knew what i'm doing it won't be a research, research is something still unknown that's why you research on them.if you already i know it, it's called development, big difference

you should watch his interview, plenty interesting stuff, here is some quick video which he discuss about measurement

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #42,512 of 65,773
After hearing many mention the LP and it currently being sale priced, I spent a bit of time considering it and read the LP thread where there were numerous complaints about non-linear volume controls and tight XLR connectors which deterred me from ordering one. Glad you have worked around these QC bugs, but for me I am not ready to go down that path. One certainly does not need that kind of power to drive the efficient Grado HPs. I'll stick with the Spark.
It does have imperfect QC (fyi my XLR issue fixed in replacement). The volume knob isn't a big deal at all in newer units - just turn it at a normal speed and there is no issue. There will be a small range but it's very precise in turning so not something to get worked up over.

For a frame of reference, it sounds 90% as good as a $3000 liquid crimson and even adds XLR input / full balanced LC didn't have so these are forgivable issues.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #42,514 of 65,773
Thank you for your help, these all seem to be awesome options and it gives me a lot of food for thought to contemplate the direction I should take

I have one...and I likey with my Grados. They are affordable, but they punch above their weight.

See Johan, my recommendations are on the money 😁

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #42,515 of 65,773
Bismillah

What makes a Grado unique from other headphones?
More spartan ergonomic design philosophy and more exciting/fun FR response than Sennheiser HD6XX and lower series. Don't know what you have but may require a better amp than what you have due to treble excitement. Higher end grado treble excitement more similar to Sennheiser HD7xx/hd8xx series.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #42,516 of 65,773
Bismillah

It mainly seems to be different sonic design goals. The typical audiophile headphone goes for wide frequency response, wide soundstage and high resolution of detail. On the other hand the grado sound is more about recreating the energy and excitement of live music with up front mids, great dynamics and rhythm/timing. They are not as refined but usually more energetic.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #42,517 of 65,773
there are still plenty of stuff need to be study and research on audio world, most of the research have been done by companies in the industry, not many have been published, and we still not 100% know how our brain interpret sound so to take a hard line based on just measurement it's a bit extreme for something basically still questionable in some parts in my opinion. one quote from andrew jones which i love was when he discuss about research, if i knew what i'm doing it won't be a research, research is something still unknown that's why you research on them.if you already i know it, it's called development, big difference

you should watch his interview, plenty interesting stuff, here is some quick video which he discuss about measurement

Thanks for sharing that interview, i've already watched it(I really like the audiophiliacs channel and I own the budget speakers Jones designed which I love). You may have to go over my posts again if you think I disagree with anything being said here(I'm a researcher, I understand there are limits to what is known which is why I stressed for the specificity of the claims being made). The issue I had with the statement in question was one of logic, it's incoherent. Let's not assume I have a hardline stance on measurements when I've literally repeatedly stated that there's a lot more that goes into how something sounds.

If you want to continue let's do so in messages and not here.

Bismillah

Grados tend to have a very fast, exciting and life like sound. It's a polarizing sound as many dislike the hot treble and lack of thundering bass but for those who like it these headphones are bliss. Possibly some of the most musical headphones on the market imho.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #42,518 of 65,773
See Johan, my recommendations are on the money 😁
You have been spot on haha! Would it be reasonable to assume the budget Alex Cavalli tube hybrid amp may pair well with the gs3000e's as well? Drop has it at an amazing price! Wonder how it compares against the project sunrise, I'm spoilt for options now lol

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #42,519 of 65,773
I wonder if the "Feliks Audio Euforia 20th Anniversary" Headphone Amplifier or the standard Feliks Audio Euforia is a good match for the GS3000e's and Grado headphones in general !

Any Grado owners had any experience with the Feliks Audio Euforia ?

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #42,520 of 65,773
I have to disagree when people make blanket statements like "electronics can measure really well and sound awful", do you have an example of this?
Yes, from my personal experience:
- In the late 70's and 80's, consumers began focussing on specified power output and THD. Japanese manufacturers were happy to compete with their annual model updates. Every integrated amp and receiver had higher power and lower THD ratings than the preceding model, and each sounded progressively worse; harder, grittier, more closed in (all indicators poor current delivery, not reflected in watts per channel).
- The original Bryston 3B and 4B, which had impeccable specs and sounded hard, glassy and opaque. Bryston only got it right beginning with the ST series of amps.
- The Topping D50S, which has terrible PRaT, even when juiced by the Topping D50 LPS. I sent the D50S back, because it sounded worse than my three other inexpensive DAC's.

There are many other examples that I have not personally experienced but only read about over the years.

And I will stop discussing off topic now.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #42,521 of 65,773
Can anyone advise what Flat or Deluxe Flat pads would do on my GH4? (Which I love to death, BTW. I couldn't care less what Grado haters think)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #42,522 of 65,773
Yes, from my personal experience:
- In the late 70's and 80's, consumers began focussing on specified power output and THD. Japanese manufacturers were happy to compete with their annual model updates. Every integrated amp and receiver had higher power and lower THD ratings than the preceding model, and each sounded progressively worse; harder, grittier, more closed in (all indicators poor current delivery, not reflected in watts per channel).
- The original Bryston 3B and 4B, which had impeccable specs and sounded hard, glassy and opaque. Bryston only got it right beginning with the ST series of amps.
- The Topping D50S, which has terrible PRaT, even when juiced by the Topping D50 LPS. I sent the D50S back, because it sounded worse than my three other inexpensive DAC's.

There are many other examples that I have not personally experienced but only read about over the years.

And I will stop discussing off topic now.
All of what you're saying here is relative to other factors(massive flaws in these cases), there is no disagreement here from me

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #42,523 of 65,773
I wonder if the "Feliks Audio Euforia 20th Anniversary" Headphone Amplifier or the standard Feliks Audio Euforia is a good match for the GS3000e's and Grado headphones in general !

Any Grado owners had any experience with the Feliks Audio Euforia ?
i want a Feliks amp for the aesthetics alone lol, soo gorgeous. The gs3000e and a Feliks amp would look mighty fine sitting next to each other 😍

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #42,524 of 65,773
Thanks for sharing that interview, i've already watched it(I really like the audiophiliacs channel and I own the budget speakers Jones designed which I love). You may have to go over my posts again if you think I disagree with anything being said here(I'm a researcher, I understand there are limits to what is known which is why I stressed for the specificity of the claims being made). The issue I had with the statement in question was one of logic, it's incoherent. Let's not assume I have a hardline stance on measurements when I've literally repeatedly stated that there's a lot more that goes into how something sounds.

If you want to continue let's do so in messages and not here.

i honestly forget what were discussed before :D i don't care where you're stance at or anybody stance at, it's just matter of opinions, which is right? who knows, unless there's somebody credible enough with decent background could jump in and educate us, it's really pointless to discuss things, especially in private message. like i said i don't have any background in acoustic nor electrical engineering, my background is IT so i could be very much wrong in my opinion about audio,my reading sources could be very much fake:D i was jumped in because i read something about amplifier measured well bla2. which is why i replied like that, even a person long enough in industry like andrew jones not truly 100% sure about measurement and grossly oversimplified measurement, in real world it's not that simple. as far as i know measurement in amplifier doesn't mean a thing, it's quite easy to manipulate, i read that info in diy audio, it's just matter of schematic. i can't read schematic and can't build amplifier so again my opinions could be very much wrong but from people who build and design amplifier that's pretty much their findings. so if you or anybody have those knowledge,please do share, i want to learn, that's all or mostly because i want to upgrade my amplifier with certain diy design but can't figure out how to build it :D

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #42,525 of 65,773
Can anyone advise what Flat or Deluxe Flat pads would do on my GH4? (Which I love to death, BTW. I couldn't care less what Grado haters think)

more mid bass for sure

@donlin
you still using those dynalo? have you try others KG design?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back