Grado Fan Club!
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #42,526 of 65,773
i honestly forget what were discussed before :D i don't care where you're stance at or anybody stance at, it's just matter of opinions, which is right? who knows, unless there's somebody credible enough with decent background could jump in and educate us, it's really pointless to discuss things, especially in private message. like i said i don't have any background in acoustic nor electrical engineering, my background is IT so i could be very much wrong in my opinion about audio,my reading sources could be very much fake:D i was jumped in because i read something about amplifier measured well bla2. which is why i replied like that, even a person long enough in industry like andrew jones not truly 100% sure about measurement and grossly oversimplified measurement, in real world it's not that simple. as far as i know measurement in amplifier doesn't mean a thing, it's quite easy to manipulate, i read that info in diy audio, it's just matter of schematic. i can't read schematic and can't build amplifier so again my opinions could be very much wrong but from people who build and design amplifier that's pretty much their findings. so if you or anybody have those knowledge,please do share, i want to learn, that's all or mostly because i want to upgrade my amplifier with certain diy design but can't figure out how to build it :D
I agree with everything you're saying here man. It reminds me of the dpi wars in gaming mice, dpi mattered when we were talking about about small amounts of dpi but after a certain amount of dpi and depending upon the use it doesn't matter but people already associated higher dpi with better mice when there's a lot more that goes into what makes a sensor good. It was one factor in many and it was a mistake to base how good the mouse was based on that one factor alone. In the beginning of the dpi wars companies were pushing high dpi with flawed sensors(which harkens to audiobombers examples from the 70's and 80's with gear that had flaws) but we're at a point where we get good sensors with high dpi which does come into use with large monitors with incredible resolutions, every technological field has growing pains when it comes to ironing out obvious flaws in technology, the same is the case with audio, most of the significant flaws have been ironed out. Then going around and then saying dpi doesn't matter is an incoherent claim as it is one factor in many. In the end all that matters is what specifically is being measured and what are the claims that we can make from what is being measured, people tend to oversimplify unnecessarily and make claims which they don't have reason to make

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #42,527 of 65,773
You have been spot on haha! Would it be reasonable to assume the budget Alex Cavalli tube hybrid amp may pair well with the gs3000e's as well? Drop has it at an amazing price! Wonder how it compares against the project sunrise, I'm spoilt for options now lol
Since you don't have a balanced DAC and don't need a balanced headphone input, and you don't need a ton of power, why don't you start with the also warm-ish Cavalli liquid spark and see if you like the voicing:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #42,528 of 65,773
I agree with everything you're saying here man. It reminds me of the dpi wars in gaming mice, dpi mattered when we were talking about about small amounts of dpi but after a certain amount of dpi and depending upon the use it doesn't matter but people already associated higher dpi with better mice when there's a lot more that goes into what makes a sensor good. It was one factor in many and it was a mistake to base how good the mouse was based on that one factor alone. In the beginning of the dpi wars companies were pushing high dpi with flawed sensors(which harkens to audiobombers examples from the 70's and 80's with gear that had flaws) but we're at a point where we get good sensors with high dpi which does come into use with large monitors with incredible resolutions, every technological field has growing pains when it comes to ironing out obvious flaws in technology, the same is the case with audio, most of the significant flaws have been ironed out. Then going around and then saying dpi doesn't matter is an incoherent claim. In the end all that matters is what specifically is being measured and what are the claims that we can make from what is being measured, people tend to oversimplify unnecessarily and make claims which they don't have reason to make

yeah same thing with digital camera, higher megapixels. it used to be like that, now more people are educated about what actually happen inside those sensors rather than just higher megapixel is better, sure it's better at certain degree but picture quality not just matter of higher pixel counts. if you go to smartphones, holy crap, that's a whole new level of god damn war over there, debating worthless jargon thing which really not replicate a real life experience. in the end most of that useless debates just prick waving, mine bigger/better than yours. btw my mice is better than yours btich! steelseries for the win :D

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #42,529 of 65,773
more mid bass for sure

@donlin
you still using those dynalo? have you try others KG design?
Yes, I absolutely love the Dynalo. I was so lucky to find a used one on a recent trip to Denver. It’s a 2017 version hand built by Mjolnir Audio in Iceland. I have owned dozens of way more expensive amps over the last 30 years and I think it’s the best I’ve ever had. It’s specifically designed for low impedance phones (I think that’s why the name is Dyna-LO) and makes my Hemp and Arya both sound excellent. It’s the only Gilmore circuit I’ve heard.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #42,530 of 65,773
yeah same thing with digital camera, higher megapixels. it used to be like that, now more people are educated about what actually happen inside those sensors rather than just higher megapixel is better, sure it's better at certain degree but picture quality not just matter of higher pixel counts. if you go to smartphones, holy crap, that's a whole new level of god damn war over there, debating worthless jargon thing which really not replicate a real life experience. in the end most of that useless debates just prick waving, mine bigger/better than yours. btw my mice is better than yours btich! steelseries for the win :D
Haha yes!!

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #42,532 of 65,773
Yes, I absolutely love the Dynalo. I was so lucky to find a used one on a recent trip to Denver. It’s a 2017 version hand built by Mjolnir Audio in Iceland. I have owned dozens of way more expensive amps over the last 30 years and I think it’s the best I’ve ever had. It’s specifically designed for low impedance phones (I think that’s why the name is Dyna-LO) and makes my Hemp and Arya both sound excellent. It’s the only Gilmore circuit I’ve heard.

ahhh i see, is it still have enough power to drive low efficient planar? i'm not familiar with arya so not sure if it's low/high efficient planar. from what i read the lo part stand for low power :D if you want moar power you go to dynahi but for high efficient headphone like grado it's probably not suitable due to of possible higher noise. is yours SE or balance? his recent circuit the CFA3 is apparently the new schit, most people using dynalo mk2 upgraded to that one, that's what i'm currently looking for and hoping for mjolnir audio or headamp to build that one

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #42,533 of 65,773
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #42,534 of 65,773
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #42,535 of 65,773
ahhh i see, is it still have enough power to drive low impedance planar? i'm not familiar with arya so not sure if it's low/high efficient planar. from what i read the lo part stand for low power :D if you want moar power you go to dynahi but for high efficient headphone like grado it's probably not suitable due to of possible higher noise. is yours SE or balance? his recent circuit the CFA3 is apparently the new schit, most people using dynalo mk2 upgraded to that one, that's what i'm currently looking for and hoping for mjolnir audio or headamp to build that one
The Arya is fairly difficult to drive and the Dynalo has more than enough power. Volume is typically only around 11:00 to 1:00 with good dynamics. The circuit board says “ new dynalo ver 2.0”.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #42,536 of 65,773
You have been spot on haha! Would it be reasonable to assume the budget Alex Cavalli tube hybrid amp may pair well with the gs3000e's as well? Drop has it at an amazing price! Wonder how it compares against the project sunrise, I'm spoilt for options now lol
I can't speak for the x Alex Cavalli CTH, but I do have the all SS Liquid Carbon X (LCX) and the Spark and use both frequently and couldn't recommend them more. The sound hits the sweet spot for my hearing and HP collection, but as many have discussed in this thread may not "measure as well". That sweet spot seems to be the product of distortion (tube or tube like) and deviations from the flat FR curve that some how make you smile and come back for more. Haven't heard the project sunrise, but suspect without the Cavalli endorsement it likely has a different sound, not bad but different, it too has a good following. Oh for all balanced take a good look at the Loxjie P20

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #42,537 of 65,773
I can't speak for the x Alex Cavalli CTH, but I do have the all SS Liquid Carbon X (LCX) and the Spark and use both frequently and couldn't recommend them more. The sound hits the sweet spot for my hearing and HP collection, but as many have discussed in this thread may not "measure as well". That sweet spot seems to be the product of distortion (tube or tube like) and deviations from the flat FR curve that some how make you smile and come back for more. Haven't heard the project sunrise, but suspect without the Cavalli endorsement it likely has a different sound, not bad but different, it too has a good following. Oh for all balanced take a good look at the Loxjie P20
Excellent! I've been looking into the spark quite a bit and it seems like a perfect match for my needs. Relaxed highs compared to the competition, liquid sounding midrange but yet still clean enough sounding 😍. Can't thank you all enough

Edit: ordered! Will get the spark tmr. Apparently there will be a liquid spark dac as well, would make a pretty neat stack: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38965

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #42,538 of 65,773
Excellent! I've been looking into the spark quite a bit and it seems like a perfect match for my needs. Relaxed highs compared to the competition, liquid sounding midrange but yet still clean enough sounding 😍. Can't thank you all enough

Edit: ordered! Will get the spark tmr. Apparently there will be a liquid spark dac as well, would make a pretty neat stack: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38965
The Cavalli house sound is pretty damn addicting as you are about to find out...

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #42,539 of 65,773
The Cavalli house sound is pretty damn addicting as you are about to find out...
Can't wait! Opted for one day shipping, will get it tmr

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #42,540 of 65,773
If the listener likes electronic/synthwave music, this is a good song if you want to demo the Hemp's strengths [note music video has cartoon violence - vampires!]

and another good one that show off Hemp:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back