Grado Fan Club!
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #42,736 of 65,775
I ordered two headphones at the same time. The Hemp (just for fun) and the ZMF Atticus. I anticipated, that the Atticus will be the real deal for me. Now, the Atticus goes back and I probably order a VO instead. There was no point in keeping the Atticus. It has for sure more resolution and it's definitely a more relaxed sound but the Hemp is so much faster and open that I could not switch between them. Oh, and the Hemp goes much deeper to my suprise. I should add that they are driven balanced by the mighty (9W to 32 Ohms) Pathos Inpol Ear. While the Hemp signs it's hearth out on my Audioquest Cobalt it surely can scale. A shocking value for me...
That really says a lot. Many people consider the ZMF phones to be the holy grail.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #42,737 of 65,775
Wove hemp cord around the headband taking inspiration from Mightygrey, looks groovy

is that andrew jones's pioneer speaker?

Can't get over how beautiful these are, pictures don't do it justice. The hemp cups have this kind of rock like marble effect where certain areas shine slightly in the light. I love the quirky buttons as well haha

flat pads are not comfy to wear bro, months to come, it would be unbearable for you, when that time comes, i'll consider to buy your hemp at half price :D

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #42,738 of 65,775
That really says a lot. Many people consider the ZMF phones to be the holy grail.

I could never consider a 400+ gram headphone. Long-term comfort issues. When I demoed Audeze phones they lasted about a minute on my head before I moved on.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #42,739 of 65,775
I've had my eye on that amp also but have not heard it yet. If you're gonna go tubing, go all the way. There's a lot of hybrid tube amps out there where the tubes are more decorative than functional.
I agree - that's what drew me to the Tuba. The design was based off of the Senn HD 600 and Grado SR 125e, two of my favorite headphones.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #42,740 of 65,775
What's the difference between TTVJ flat pads and deluxe flat pads?

Would either an SR225e or RS2e benefit from said pads?

about 15usd :D
i'm not sure how it would differs, i haven't tried the deluxe flat pad but from the people who have tried it,they prefer deluxe to regular flat pad, most of them using hp1000 though since the deluxe flat pad was intended for hp1000 upgrades programs by joe himself
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jos...rnal-and-comparative-review-on-hiatus.622756/

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #42,741 of 65,775
I could never consider a 400+ gram headphone. Long-term comfort issues. When I demoed Audeze phones they lasted about a minute on my head before I moved on.

They have a really good weight distribution (I mean the ZMF). I had no problem with it at all...

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #42,742 of 65,775
THIS MAN HAS TOO MANY GRADOS: A Never ending mini series

Episode 2: Grado SR80 One Night in Bangkok Edition.

These are my Grado SR80. I bought them for cheap on Ebay, back in May. They were supposed to be my "starter Grados". I had preordered the Hemps, but they weren't due until late June. I wanted to get a taste of what the Grado sound was about. So I snagged these, and waited.

And waited.

After a couple weeks I went to check the tracking updates. I saw they had been processed in Bangkok on June 1st. WHAT? Bangkok?

In my haste for a taste of Grado I didnt see that the seller was in Thailand. There's usually a dozen or more used pairs of SR60s or 80s on Ebay at any given time. I would never have picked this pair if I had seen that international shipping during a pandemic was involved.

So I waited, and I got my Hemps, and some 325e, and some GS1000s, and several others and some SR60e to fill the void where these were supposed to be.
I had given up on ever seeing them. I was fixin to file a claim with Paypal.

They showed up last Saturday, about three months after I ordered them.

They're perfectly cromulent headphones, but I dont really have a spot for them in the lineup. As far as the Baby Grados, my newer SR60e sounds better, with deeper, fuller bass. And looks better too with those hot red earpads. I'm long past needing "starter Grados". I guess they make for a good story when the pandemic is over. Maybe I'll sell them to someone in Europe so they can continue their World Tour.

Attachments

• 20200830_155830.jpg
    20200830_155830.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #42,743 of 65,775
Just wanted to clarify. I bet that would be a GREAT amp with Grado's. :thumbsup:

Grado's are awesome on tube amps, but they have to be low impedance to sound their best.

I would love to hear mine on a Tuba or a Woo Audio WA6.
Which Mapletree Audio amp do you have ? Do you like it ?

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #42,744 of 65,775
Which Mapletree Audio amp do you have ? Do you like it ?

I have the Ear+ HDII. It is a very nice amp and the builder is a Grado fan. It only puts out 4 Ohms of impedance, but that volume knob is not going past 9:00ish. It is a very light, airy sound, not at all thick and bassy. I also have a Schiit Loki in the chain, but I only use it about half the time. Depends on the music and my mood.

For a little bit more than I paid for this, I bought a used Violectric V220 solid state amp. This, to me, is end game. With 5 pre-gain settings available it works with everything from Grados (Awesome!) to 600 Ohm headphones (Impressive!).

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #42,745 of 65,775
is that andrew jones's pioneer speaker?

flat pads are not comfy to wear bro, months to come, it would be unbearable for you, when that time comes, i'll consider to buy your hemp at half price :D
Yup the Andrew Jones BS22's, I love them and they look real nice on the white Kanto speaker stands.

Grado will have to release something I like better for me to part with my Hemp :o2smile:

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #42,746 of 65,775
flat pads are not comfy to wear bro

For me, I'd need to enjoy the Hemp with the G pads. But people have reported it sounding terrible with them. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #42,747 of 65,775
For me, I'd need to enjoy the Hemp with the G pads. But people have reported it sounding terrible with them. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks
I hated the Hemps with the G pads!

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #42,748 of 65,775
Bay Bloor Radio contacted me and said their shipment of Sony 1000XM4 headphones have been delayed. To make up for this, they've offered $50 off everyone who pre-ordered it, as we could've just canceled our pre-order and got it at Best Buy. That's service. They didn't need to do that, but they did. Supporting local businesses is important, especially during this time, and they just went above and beyond.

I bought my SR225i, GS2000e, and HD800S there, and it seems they'll have the Hemp available for demo and purchase in mid-September. They're one of the few shops out there that puts out demos of Grado's limited edition models. If the Hemp actually lives up to all the hype, I'm buying it from them.

Giving up on the GS3000e already?

I've had mine for a few weeks now thanks to Bestbuy. Funny that BBR still doesn't? That said, they do have an excellent array of Grado headphones from the SR-60e to the PS2000e.

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #42,749 of 65,775
Just wanted to clarify. I bet that would be a GREAT amp with Grado's. :thumbsup:

Grado's are awesome on tube amps, but they have to be low impedance to sound their best.

I would love to hear mine on a Tuba or a Woo Audio WA6.
I am listening to my rs2e while writing this on this amp:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32556281296.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.48e44c4dcZcxXG

It is a transformer coupled tube amp (not hybrid) with real power and 4 impedance selections. The sound is fantastic. This is the factory selling direct and the price is crazy low for what is a very solid amp. Shipping time is slow but it is worth the wait. I also have other amps and this one puts many of them to shame at a fraction of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back