Grado Fan Club!
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #42,751 of 65,775
I am listening to my rs2e while writing this on this amp:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32556281296.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.48e44c4dcZcxXG

It is a transformer coupled tube amp (not hybrid) with real power and 4 impedance selections. The sound is fantastic. This is the factory selling direct and the price is crazy low for what is a very solid amp. Shipping time is slow but it is worth the wait. I also have other amps and this one puts many of them to shame at a fraction of the price.
I would advise against plugging any thing expensive into aliexpress products considering the typical QA from sellers on that site. No need to fry your nice headphones on an amp from a sketch company that has no reputation to protect

Tube hybrids can sound fantastic but not all do; but for grado you can go to garage1217 and get a garage1217-built Project Sunrise III for $255 and have a lot more long term confidence in both the amp and what's connected to it than anything bought off aliexpress.... And it will sound great.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #42,752 of 65,775
But the RS2e doesn't have that much treble anyway and already lost some of the tiny details and soundstage compared to the SR225e (which could probably benefit from the pads)

Measurements I believe show RS2e as having more treble than 225e including side-by-side subjective impressions. And you’re saying RS2e is less resloving than 225e?

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #42,753 of 65,775
That really says a lot. Many people consider the ZMF phones to be the holy grail.

To be fair...I had a short correspondance with Zach and the super low output impedance of the Pathos is probably the reason why the Atticus can not show its true qualities for me. Synergie is important and always a big factor.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #42,754 of 65,775
I would advise against plugging any thing expensive into aliexpress products considering the typical QA from sellers on that site. No need to fry your nice headphones on an amp from a sketch company that has no reputation to protect

Tube hybrids can sound fantastic but not all do; but for grado you can go to garage1217 and get a garage1217-built Project Sunrise III for $255 and have a lot more long term confidence in both the amp and what's connected to it than anything bought off aliexpress.... And it will sound great.
The manufactuer of that amp burned it in for days at the factory before shipping. I own several headphone and most are upwards of $500. I feel quite safe plugging them all into this amp. It has performed flawlessly. The construction of the amp far exceeds its price point. I think your condimnation based on the source is unfair. I am relating my own experience with this product.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #42,755 of 65,775
Measurements I believe show RS2e as having more treble than 225e including side-by-side subjective impressions. And you’re saying RS2e is less resloving than 225e?

I dunno about any measurements but i have recently compared my RS2e against a SR60e and a SR225e and the latter were brighter and details were more spread in the soundstage and more easily noticable. The RS2e still sounds nicer, calmer with a more coherent soundstage.

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #42,756 of 65,775
I didn't find anything about this with "search", so:
Is there a good way to clean/wash original Grado cushions without destroying them?
Sure, just gently wash them in a bowl of warm water with some mild detergent + hair conditioner (for softness). Rinse and dry by pressing with a towel, let dry for a couple of hours.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #42,757 of 65,775
Listening to an uncommon media today with my GH2s:
GH2_Tape.jpg
GH2_Tape.jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #42,759 of 65,775
The manufactuer of that amp burned it in for days at the factory before shipping. I own several headphone and most are upwards of $500. I feel quite safe plugging them all into this amp. It has performed flawlessly. The construction of the amp far exceeds its price point. I think your condimnation based on the source is unfair. I am relating my own experience with this product.

The whole concept of QA is that yours may be fine, but the one the next guy buys catches fire and burns down his house. If "Breeze Audio" gets a bad rap, it makes no difference. They simply change the name to something else, because no one is buying it for the name they are buying it for the price. Something a well known company can't do. On top of it, there is zero that can be done to hold the manufacturer responsible due to their location.

There are tube options from well respected brands at the $250 price point like the garage1217 project sunrise III, so why roll the dice with "breeze audio" ??? Penny wise and pound foolish.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #42,760 of 65,775
Classic.

I wish I had headphones like that back when I had tapes like that :)

I just bought them off eBay last week. Green Day is pretty damn worn out and the right channel is about 6dB louder than left. Has a small amount of warble. The Soundgarden tape starts off pretty rough, but sounds great between the first and last 30sec or so on each side. Temple of the Dog sounds INCREDIBLE. I know tape isn't known for high fidelity, but my guess is that it might have been recorded from a different master. I noticed that the peaks on each channel never hit 0dB and rarely hit -2, so I know it wasn't dynamic range compressed to hell. The bass guitar is one thing that is immediately different sounding than the CD version I own. It's been a fun day of nostalgia :D

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #42,761 of 65,775
Aug 31, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #42,762 of 65,775
For me, I'd need to enjoy the Hemp with the G pads. But people have reported it sounding terrible with them. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks
i'll looking forward for your report, are you also going to compare it with knock off gpad? just in case :D

I just bought them off eBay last week. Green Day is pretty damn worn out and the right channel is about 6dB louder than left. Has a small amount of warble. The Soundgarden tape starts off pretty rough, but sounds great between the first and last 30sec or so on each side. Temple of the Dog sounds INCREDIBLE. I know tape isn't known for high fidelity, but my guess is that it might have been recorded from a different master. I noticed that the peaks on each channel never hit 0dB and rarely hit -2, so I know it wasn't dynamic range compressed to hell. The bass guitar is one thing that is immediately different sounding than the CD version I own. It's been a fun day of nostalgia :D

don't you wanna try the dragon?

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #42,763 of 65,775
i'll looking forward for your report, are you also going to compare it with knock off gpad? just in case :D

Knock-off (geekria) G-pads sound far better on the Hemp than OEM G-Cush pads.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #42,764 of 65,775

Which dragon do you speak of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back