Grado Fan Club!
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #46,306 of 65,799
Just listened to it again last night. How good is that SR60e with Geekria donut pads and a Dragonfly black! Smooth and balanced mids and bass with those ear-tickling treble details. If this was the only Grado i could have i would still be satisfied.
Both my Grado Prestige sound very good. Can it be better? A little bit?
A good amp is necessary.
Schiit magni. Cheep and good

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #46,311 of 65,799
Just listened to it again last night. How good is that SR60e with Geekria donut pads and a Dragonfly black! Smooth and balanced mids and bass with those ear-tickling treble details. If this was the only Grado i could have i would still be satisfied.
John Grado's favorite "child" is the sr60. It is the "every man's" Grado, in that it gives you the quintessential Grado sound at a super cheap price - entirely accessible to everyone. My entry level Grado is the sr125 and it sounds fun and listenable with just about every genre.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #46,313 of 65,799
Bass is there. Has only tried my grado on magni. Think schiit is great with grado. Considering schiit vali or valhalla as a upgrade.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #46,315 of 65,799
Hey, just giving my first post here. Recently went out on a limb and purchased the Hemp, despite not hearing Grados before, and have to say they're fantastic. Really nice for my taste in rock, metalcore, post-hardcore, but also excellent for vocals. They remind me a surprising amount of my Focals (Elear with Elex pads, essentially an Elex without Drop QC worries). They're also beautiful, and the hemp has such an interesting feel to it.

I am seeking some info though. 2 things.
1. Has anyone had any positive experience having a replaceable cable done? Bonus points if it is on the Hemp. This headphone is so light and easy to wear, and then they have this fat, heavy, unwieldy cable. Kinda shooting the lightweight aspect down all on its own.
2. I'd love to hear (or see, if you have links) what people thought of the sound with larger bowl-type pads on these. I don't mind it a ton, but there is some discomfort from the on-ear nature

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #46,316 of 65,799
I am seeking some info though. 2 things.
1. Has anyone had any positive experience having a replaceable cable done? Bonus points if it is on the Hemp. This headphone is so light and easy to wear, and then they have this fat, heavy, unwieldy cable. Kinda shooting the lightweight aspect down all on its own.
2. I'd love to hear (or see, if you have links) what people thought of the sound with larger bowl-type pads on these. I don't mind it a ton, but there is some discomfort from the on-ear nature

Congratulations!!

1. Someone replaced the cable on their Hemp and posted pictures in page 2820 (look for post 42,297)

2. The G pads (bowl-pads) change the signature of a Grado. You lose a lot of bass, the highs are amplified and the stage becomes wider.

What is it about the stock pads that you don't like? Do they scratch your ears or does the headphone clamp cause discomfort?

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #46,317 of 65,799
Congratulations!!

1. Someone replaced the cable on their Hemp and posted pictures in page 2820 (look for post 42,297)

2. The G pads (bowl-pads) change the signature of a Grado. You lose a lot of bass, the highs are amplified and the stage becomes wider.

What is it about the stock pads that you don't like? Do they scratch your ears or does the headphone clamp cause discomfort?
Thanks for pointing to me towards the appropriate post, The size of this thread is slightly intimidating haha.

As for the pads, its just the scratchiness, slightly irritating, but absolutely not a dealbreaker. I wonder if some of the loss of bass could be changed by adding an outer material (was thinking a colored green and purple tape for the hemp theme, could even make myself a matching paracord cable for maximum dankness). Still maybe not to my tastes, I think I enjoy where the treble is, and the more intimate stage works for my genre choice. Might try it just as a fun project :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #46,318 of 65,799
You might want to try these covers to solve the scratchy problem:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z2PCFR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them on my L pads (slightly bigger). They make a smaller size which might fit the pads that come with the Hemp.

You could also try the following pads:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGCDHL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are more comfortable (no irritation) and they don't change the signature too much.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #46,319 of 65,799
Or just bend the headband till it’s barely pushing against your ear. That should be I think the first step...

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #46,320 of 65,799
I don't wish to stir, only to be a pedant! disclosure: I work for a national metrology lab, and we worry about stuff like this a lot. Logically, if you can hear it, you *should* be able to measure it. Fundamentally, measurement differences have to be consistent and repeatable by independent testers for the data to be valid and true. Measurement involves the use of both hardware devices and physcho-acoustics.

If we cannot measure any differences, then there are two possibilities: it's not "real" (though we can try to measure physcho-acoustics - you would be very surprised who our clients have been over the years, but it's typically a much higher uncertainty compared to lab physical measurements), or that the measurement device is not sensitive enough. In my experience, it's never been a sufficiently critical social problem that ever warranted much research beyond the phsychological elements, and again in my experience, the latter are massively unreliable compared to hardware. As a bit of context, whether you coil your analogue cables or keep them straight are testing the EM limits of detection of commercial labs. Now pad rolling....:L3000:

Happy listening!
Yes, if you hear it you should be able to measure it. But if you can't correlate the measurement to what you're hearing I don't think that is a refutation of what is being heard.

Rather, it seems increasingly obvious people do not yet know how to measure what affects sound quality. There is little correlation between current measurements and how good something sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back