Grado Fan Club!
Feb 14, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #51,016 of 65,818
Understood. Thanks.

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #51,017 of 65,818
Well...the problem with the aftermarket pads is, that they do sound different from the original. Some may even like it. I definitely not.
Being in business since 1953, Grado Labs has reasons, I assume, for the specific earpads that come with each headphone. I cannot imagine that a model would be introduced without serious listening to a variety of pads before one was picked for that model.

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #51,018 of 65,818
Yeah but that's true of many headphones and there is still a strong aftermarket. I guess there are several camps of consumers, some want the best sound but even that can vary depending on who's listening, others want comfort uberalles, or good materials, or whatever. So no matter what, pads are a compromise.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #51,019 of 65,818
Ok so how about good shops that sell Grado in EU? I know of one but I'm looking for options... thanks guys

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #51,020 of 65,818
Does anyone have any updates and impressions on RS2x and RS1x? There are some deals to be had on the RS1e, how do these compare to Hemp? I suspect that whilst the RS2x is an improvement over Hemp, it's not big enough to warrant keeping both.

I bought the RS2x last week, but I want to wait a few days before posting my impressions because I don't want to be influenced by the "new toy syndrome".

As a spoiler, I can tell you that I already prefer the RS2x over the RS1x and the Hemp. Also, contrary to the RS1x, the RS2x work very well with the F-cushions so it's almost like having two headphones for the price of one.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #51,021 of 65,818
For pads, simply buy all of the different Geekria pads from Amazon, they are around £10 each, and you will probably use most of them. Think of them as a fixed EQ options.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #51,022 of 65,818
I bought the RS2x last week, but I want to wait a few days before posting my impressions because I don't want to be influenced by the "new toy syndrome".

As a spoiler, I can tell you that I already prefer the RS2x over the RS1x and the Hemp. Also, contrary to the RS1x, the RS2x work very well with the F-cushions so it's almost like having two headphones for the price of one.
I am waiting to hear this. So far, I have found only one other reporter on social media that has any experience of them all.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #51,023 of 65,818
I am waiting to hear this. So far, I have found only one other reporter on social media that has any experience of them all.

I know who you're talking about, trust me he was not lying about the RS2x :wink:

You want to hear something funny, I also purchased the Focal Utopia last week but they are already back in their box because I cannot remove the RS2x from my head. And quite frankly, I'm very disappointed by the Utopia.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #51,024 of 65,818
Step 1: We admitted that we were powerless over Grados - that our lives had become unmanageable.
Jonathan, I am sure between us there would be no problem filling in the other 11 steps. Of course the first step is the most important.

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #51,025 of 65,818
Being in business since 1953, Grado Labs has reasons, I assume, for the specific earpads that come with each headphone. I cannot imagine that a model would be introduced without serious listening to a variety of pads before one was picked for that model.
I agree, I am sure a lot of development time goes into that and comparing results before the product is ready for market.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #51,027 of 65,818
customcans.co.uk

The owner is a longtime member here and an all-around great guy, he puts up all kinds of Sennheiser and Beyer disassembly and mod videos, makes cables that are truly worth the money. 100% recommended.

P.S. HD 650s are not worth 300. They might cost 300 but they're worth a lot more :wink:
agreed, hd650 are worth much more for me as well
I know who you're talking about, trust me he was not lying about the RS2x :wink:

You want to hear something funny, I also purchased the Focal Utopia last week but they are already back in their box because I cannot remove the RS2x from my head. And quite frankly, I'm very disappointed by the Utopia.
same experience. RS2x are a game changer: Ive sold my Utopia just a few week short of getting my RS2x, but there's no doubt in my mind id take the RS2x over the Utopia.

Grado are such a big company, I almost feel like they dont understand what they have in the new RS2x. its just way too good for the $

BTW, not everyone will prefer the F pads with the RS2x, I prefer the stock vs the f pads with the rs2x

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #51,028 of 65,818
Sorry to butt in on the convo, but this is tangentially related:

Does anyone know where to source TTVJ flat ear pads? They don't seem to sell it on their website anymore and I was hoping to get a couple of pairs for my Grados.

TIA
Here ya go

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #51,029 of 65,818
Got my new Rs1x last week.
I much prefer them to the RS2e (too lean), RS1e (Boring, slow, lacked dynamics) and GH2 ( nothing wrong with them, but the Rs1x is just so fast, full and musical in comparison )

At the same time I prefer my GS3000e which sounds so effortless, but they prob have over 1500 hrs on them.

Got about 60 hrs on the Rs1x atm

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #51,030 of 65,818
Got my new Rs1x last week.
I much prefer them to the RS2e (too lean), RS1e (Boring, slow, lacked dynamics) and GH2 ( nothing wrong with them, but the Rs1x is just so fast, full and musical in comparison )

At the same time I prefer my GS3000e which sounds so effortless, but they prob have over 1500 hrs on them.

Got about 60 hrs on the Rs1x atm
Keep going with the RS-1x, they get a lot better with extended break-in 😀.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back