Grado Fan Club!
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #51,379 of 65,942
I got my Dekoni custom Grado pads today. Currently using the velour pads but also bought the Fenestrated Sheepskin ones with the velour insides but haven't tried them yet. Might put them on my PS500e at some point.

The Velour pads are nice on my Hemps so far. Instantly notice more punch in the drums of songs I listen to. So more bassy punch to the music. With the cups sitting further from my ears than with the stock f-pads, I had to increase the volume a bit comparatively but it sounds good. Also notice a bit more in the mids shining though. But ultimately they don't change the sound too much and they're much more comfortable than the stock pads for longer periods of listening.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GIdefCV
Awesome to hear, I was considering the velours for my Hemps as well. Since the cups are further from your ears do you hear a noticeable change in the soundstage? Any changes in the highs?

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #51,380 of 65,942
???…!!!…😳😱: not even free shipping!69DFA8C7-5974-4F0E-BF5F-897875AA97B2.jpeg
If anyone wants my GH4s I will part with them for the low low bargain basement price of $4500 😜 I'll personally hand deliver them.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #51,382 of 65,942
If anyone wants my GH4s I will part with them for the low low bargain basement price of $4500 😜 I'll personally hand deliver them.
no pushing in the queue, make sure you take a number and wait.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #51,383 of 65,942
Awesome to hear, I was considering the velours for my Hemps as well. Since the cups are further from your ears do you hear a noticeable change in the soundstage? Any changes in the highs?

I've only listened to them for a couple hours so I can't say for sure. But I didn't notice much difference in the highs. Soundstage seems pretty similar, but I still want to do more testing on that with a few songs I have in mind.

Mar 1, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #51,384 of 65,942
Contrary to your thoughts & suppositions a lot of R & D goes into each new series that they come out with. There was also a lot of in house experimentation and comparison that led to some new models like the 325x and Hemp coming out equipped with original Grado flats, it was not a random decision in any shape or form nor influenced by anyone else.

I somewhat disagree with this line of reasoning, as it almost argues that Grado can do no wrong. In the entire history of Grado, do you think they have ever come out with a poor model? Every company has its misses. It's just that it's more difficult to determine that with Grado models because the buyers aren't looking for neutrality in the first place. The RS1e and GS2000e got slammed but there are still some fans of them. I hold a minority opinion that I didn't care for the Hemp's stock tuning, but that's because I prefer boosted mids. I suppose that's why everyone just says to go SR60x/RS2x, and if you're interested in anything else, you're on your own when it comes to demos.

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #51,385 of 65,942
Sorry, but you can't compare Grado to Apple. Grado is basically a "mom and pop" shop with probably 20 or so employees. They're purpose is not to keep up with or compete with giant companies like Apple that can sell things at a loss just to rope people into their ecosystem. Rather, they are trying to preserve a family tradition and culture. Yes, their prices are very marked up, because they have to pay American employees and have to pay American overhead. Do you know how hard and expensive it it is to run a small business? I'm glad to pay more to support an honest American small business. As for your "audiophile snake-oil company" comment, it proves that you have a bias against small audiophile companies. In free market economy, a business sets the price, and it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not to buy. They're not forcing people to buy. If you don't like it move on, bro. Unfortunately, companies like Apple and Amazon are saturating the market and destroying small business so that we may no longer have a choice and all be walking around like thoughtless lemmings wearing AirPods. Stop crappying on small business, man. Apple doesn't need your help. They're doing a pretty good job already.

The other problem with the Apple-Grado comparison is that it doesn’t factor in longevity.

I’m a huge fan of Apple products and would even classify myself as a “fanboy”, but even I recognize a simple fact - Apple products don’t last.

In the computer world, that’s fine. Silicon technology advances incredibly quickly, so the 5-7 years you typically get out of an Apple product is actually better than you get from their competitors in the Android and Windows world. But when you put Apple up against analog products, it’s a whole different ballgame.

My 2016 AirPods are basically a paperweight. They lasted me 3-4 years, at which point the battery no longer held a charge. I have a pair of 2019 AirPods Pro that have already needed to be replaced once (thankfully they were still covered by warranty). Even my $779 CAD AirPods Max from 2020 probably won’t last more than 5 or 6 years because of battery longevity, not to mention the changing wireless standards and silicon obsolescence.

Now compare that to my Grados. I have an original SR60 that I bought for $130 CAD more than 20 years ago. Aside from one repair about a decade ago to fix a loose cable in the cup, and maybe 2-3 pad swaps over the years, they still function like new. Over two decades of use on a $130 CAD headphone (I believe they were $69 USD at the time). That’s an insane value. And I expect my Grado Hemp from 2021 to last me many years to come, as well. Same with my Senn 6XX that I bought last year.

That’s the problem with turning everything into a computer. I love the convenience factor and cool features Apple offers. They make awesome products. But I’m getting tired of everything feeling so ephemeral. Sometimes I want products that will just last.

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #51,386 of 65,942
I've only listened to them for a couple hours so I can't say for sure. But I didn't notice much difference in the highs. Soundstage seems pretty similar, but I still want to do more testing on that with a few songs I have in mind.
Thanks for your impressions. I'll be pulling the trigger

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #51,387 of 65,942
Thanks for your impressions. I'll be pulling the trigger

Would love to know what you think when you get them, too.

Also remember that each of the 3 versions do different things to the sound. I've only given my impressions on the basic velour model on my Hemps.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #51,388 of 65,942
Would love to know what you think when you get them, too.

Also remember that each of the 3 versions do different things to the sound. I've only given my impressions on the basic velour model on my Hemps.
Thanks will let you know! I'll only be getting the velours, the other two seem to be larger departures from stock fr so I doubt I would like them.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #51,389 of 65,942
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #51,390 of 65,942

Users who are viewing this thread

Back